Hot Rod Forum banner

fuel gushing out of the side of the Carb 1406

3K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  75gmck25 
#1 · (Edited)
I recently installed an Edelbrock 1406 onto my SBC. When I start the engine,after about 3 seconds, fuel gushed out of the passenger's side (linkage). I turned off the engine and there doesn't seem to be anything wrong but when I start it up again, fuel gushes out immediately. Does anyone know what could be the cause? Should I take it all apart and rebuild even though it is new?

#2 ·
I don't know of any way for fuel to travel to the pass-throughs for the linkage, so I'm thinking it's coming from somewhere nearby. Check the tightness/thread-engagement of your fuel inlet fitting. Check that the torx screws holding the top of the carb are snug. Check the gasket between the carb body and the top.

When you say "gushing," is it squirting out as if under pressure, or is it just flowing out heavily?

#3 ·
It sounds like it is leaking at the fuel inlet fitting. Maybe the rubber hose is too big for the fuel inlet fitting, and it starts to leak after the float shuts off the flow into the float bowl.

Also, Edelbrock's are sensitive to fuel pump pressure - it should be at about 5-7 psi.

Bruce

#7 ·
Carb problem

Since this a new Carb you won't need a kit,the Carter AFB's and Edelbrock carbs have always had a flaw in them which is improper float level settings right out of the box.It is caused by bouncing around when they are shipped,the shop I worked at years ago had enough problems that I used to reset them when I sold them to prevent comebacks,best fuel pressure with these is 5 psi,while you are at it check the metering rods and make sure they move freely.And visit the Edelbrock website,lots of good tech support there too.

#8 ·
Just finished reinstalling and rechecking fuel problem

After reinstalling the carb, fuel still seems to be flowing freely out of the top passanger's side of the carb, not the side linkage nor the fuel hose. I turn off the engine and I can hear the fuel flowing out of the carb and into the intake, car won't start anymore. I reinstalled the old q-jet and car runs fine.

I feel that the problem is with the float and will need to disassemble the carb to fix. Will keep you guys updated. Thanks for the helpful tips.

#9 ·
The float is easy to get to in a 1406
- Loosen the screws on the covers for the step-up spring, rotate the covers to the side, and pull out the two springs and rods (you do not have to do this to take it apart, but its a lot easier to get together if the rods have been removed)
- Take out the screws (12?) that hold the top on, using a torx head driver.
- Remove the three small c-clips that hold the choke linkage, throttle linkage and accelerator pump, and slip the rod ends clear of the linkage
- Pull up on the carb top to remove.

Set the float drop and fuel level using the directions from Edelbrock.

Bruce

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.