fuel gushing out of the side of the Carb 1406 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-19-2009, 04:26 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

fuel gushing out of the side of the Carb 1406

I recently installed an Edelbrock 1406 onto my SBC. When I start the engine,after about 3 seconds, fuel gushed out of the passenger's side (linkage). I turned off the engine and there doesn't seem to be anything wrong but when I start it up again, fuel gushes out immediately. Does anyone know what could be the cause? Should I take it all apart and rebuild even though it is new?

Advertisement

Last edited by chevygen; 05-19-2009 at 04:28 PM. Reason: misspelled word
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2009, 06:27 PM
AKA Lee in KC

Last photo:

I don't know of any way for fuel to travel to the pass-throughs for the linkage, so I'm thinking it's coming from somewhere nearby. Check the tightness/thread-engagement of your fuel inlet fitting. Check that the torx screws holding the top of the carb are snug. Check the gasket between the carb body and the top.

When you say "gushing," is it squirting out as if under pressure, or is it just flowing out heavily?
Old 05-19-2009, 08:46 PM

It sounds like it is leaking at the fuel inlet fitting. Maybe the rubber hose is too big for the fuel inlet fitting, and it starts to leak after the float shuts off the flow into the float bowl.

Also, Edelbrock's are sensitive to fuel pump pressure - it should be at about 5-7 psi.

Bruce
Old 05-19-2009, 09:51 PM

Thanks, will double check again

Thanks for the info guys, I will reinstall the carb tomorrow morning and let you know if the fitting was loose or the hose was too big; I am using 3/8 fuel line with hose clamps.
Old 05-19-2009, 09:53 PM

gushing out defined

Almost forgot, the fuel is flowing out heavily. Fuel pressure was at roughly 5-6 psi.
Old 05-19-2009, 11:56 PM
likes chevy trucks & boobies

Last photo:

sounds like the float needle is failing or stuck and not sealing shut to stop overflowing the carb bowl

hmm

was it turned upside down ever that you know of ?

good luck!
Old 05-20-2009, 02:30 AM

Last photo:

Carb problem

Since this a new Carb you won't need a kit,the Carter AFB's and Edelbrock carbs have always had a flaw in them which is improper float level settings right out of the box.It is caused by bouncing around when they are shipped,the shop I worked at years ago had enough problems that I used to reset them when I sold them to prevent comebacks,best fuel pressure with these is 5 psi,while you are at it check the metering rods and make sure they move freely.And visit the Edelbrock website,lots of good tech support there too.
Old 05-20-2009, 12:44 PM

Just finished reinstalling and rechecking fuel problem

After reinstalling the carb, fuel still seems to be flowing freely out of the top passanger's side of the carb, not the side linkage nor the fuel hose. I turn off the engine and I can hear the fuel flowing out of the carb and into the intake, car won't start anymore. I reinstalled the old q-jet and car runs fine.

I feel that the problem is with the float and will need to disassemble the carb to fix. Will keep you guys updated. Thanks for the helpful tips.
Old 05-20-2009, 04:35 PM

The float is easy to get to in a 1406
- Loosen the screws on the covers for the step-up spring, rotate the covers to the side, and pull out the two springs and rods (you do not have to do this to take it apart, but its a lot easier to get together if the rods have been removed)
- Take out the screws (12?) that hold the top on, using a torx head driver.
- Remove the three small c-clips that hold the choke linkage, throttle linkage and accelerator pump, and slip the rod ends clear of the linkage
- Pull up on the carb top to remove.

Set the float drop and fuel level using the directions from Edelbrock.

Bruce

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.