Fuel Inj conversion from carb - Page 3 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2010, 10:39 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason7504
i was thinking of adding an EFI to my 454 in the future but still want the look of the carb so was thinking the EZ EFI system by Fast (http://www.fuelairspark.com/ezefi/default.asp) so you guys think it wouldn't be worth it compared with a full EFI conversion?
The issue with that system is it does not control the timing, just the fuel. It is well worth a couple bucks to have timing control synched to your fuel delivery.

Additionally, it is not PC programmable. I perfer a PC interface than a hand held LCD control.

That said, FAST makes a nice system, and for the money, it's not bad. HOWEVER, I like having some bells and whistles.

PM me if you have questions.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2010, 10:51 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsup
PM me if you have questions.
I would be a service to the forum if you all could keep it on here...
Old 04-19-2010, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt327
I would be a service to the forum if you all could keep it on here...
I'd love to talk about it, but I put a lot of time and energy into doing research, tests, and evaluations of products before I sell them. Like the ECU in this thread, I put $2000 out of my pocket to test this before I recommend and sell it.

I sell the product. I like to find niche' products that are "better" than what is currently available. It takes a lot of time, energy, and industry contacts. I spent a few days with the CEO of Dart out in Michigan. Airfare, hotel, etc... etc....etc.... That's where I found this product line on his recommendation. I'm probably going back out to sit with Darin Morgan of Profiler, and of course there's World Products right here in NY. I have immersed myself in the industry, and many high profile people know me by name. That takes time and money. I can't give that away to generate revenue for someone else.

If I go talking about products and promote them, people will buy from someone else, what's the point in that from where I sit?

I get the "no advertising" policy, but sometimes I think it can be a detriment.

So the best I can do is say PM me. Sorry.
Old 04-19-2010, 04:12 PM

Here's the new ECU under the stock ECU. You can see I can still reach the plug to tune it even with the stock ECU in place......PERFECT!

Here's the MSD.. MY wire work is with the wire loom on it, that mess to the right is GM's deal.

I ran a serial cable up from the MSD to the top of the motor and it will sit right there so I can tune it at will without bending over, which, is hard to do these days...once you hit 40 it's down hill.
Old 04-19-2010, 04:23 PM
Still learning .... happily

Was this a temporary installation or is the wiring in the configuration it will live in? You said you were repping this system, so what all does it do and what system is it compatible with?
Old 04-19-2010, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Adkins
Was this a temporary installation or is the wiring in the configuration it will live in? You said you were repping this system, so what all does it do and what system is it compatible with?
Hey Bill, thanks for the softball.

I am considering repping this product. That is why I am doing this test. This is what I am trying to figure out. I do not believe manufacturers and try everything out myself. Provides better support too. Well that aside....

If it works, it could be a permanent installation. If it doesn't, it gets pulled out. I am installing it in tandem with the stock ECU. The stock ECU will continue to control functions like A/C, alarm, etc..... all BCM style functionality. This new ECU will handle fuel management and the spark will be handled by the MSD box, just the way I wanted to set it up. I got the 6530 programmable box, but could have run the cheapest one MSD made and driven it by the ECU.

As far as compatibility, it is a stand alone fuel management system.

I look at this from a market perspective. Plenty of people are still building gen 1 small blocks and big blocks. The three dominate systems are Fast, BS3, and AEM. Megasquirt was mentioned earlier, and to be frank, I think they are junk. Just sayin'

The problem is these systems are designed with a level of complexity not required in a gen 1 motor. They have crank sensors, they support coil on plug igntion, AC cutoff, etc...etc...etc.....they also cost $3000 once you spec them all out.

This system can control your timing curve (like the others still needs an MSD or other box to generate the spark). I can support 2 wide band sensors, one for each bank, has four drivers so fires 2 injectors at a time.

The software is only 5 pages in total, and from what I have seen pretty simple. For a conventional distributor based system, it seems to make a lot of sense at a price point of under $2000 loaded. Now, does it work? Well very big names in racing who I know personally are using it and it came recommended by Dart. That is why I even gave it a second look.

The throttle body I refer to comes in cast like the Fast, or billet. It is a few bucks more than the Fast, but does have the ability to manage the timing curve, which I like in a fuel delivery system. There's 2 sizes, 750 and 1100 CFM. Comes complete with rails, ECU, pump, injectors, everything. IN fact, the most popular product in the line up is these throttle bodies as carb replacements.

In addition to handling spark, it is PC programmable, the FAST isn't. Two things I like.

Now, I am not trying to say this is the be all to end all. I am saying if you had a distributor based system this could be a good solution. It is not competitive to BS3, Fast, or AEM, it address a different market. I think a lot of guys here, are that market.

I will let you know how it works when I find out for myself.
Old 04-19-2010, 09:17 PM
Still learning .... happily

Sounds kool. thanks and good luck
Bill
Old 04-19-2010, 09:47 PM

Last photo:

Highball

I've been following the entire series of conversations about the Throttle body injection conversion. I'm no longer into high end performance projects but I do frequent two Drag Strips near my home and I do get a Pit Pass and wander around looking at the latest setups. I also try to make at least two days at the Bonneville Salt Flats. Seldom do I see any of the Pro Stock competitors using a setup like this. And I'll bet with good sponsor funding they would give it a try if they saw any potential merit to it for what they are doing which is making a lot of horsepower quick. Good luck with the trial of this item.
Old 04-19-2010, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highball
I've been following the entire series of conversations about the Throttle body injection conversion. I'm no longer into high end performance projects but I do frequent two Drag Strips near my home and I do get a Pit Pass and wander around looking at the latest setups. I also try to make at least two days at the Bonneville Salt Flats. Seldom do I see any of the Pro Stock competitors using a setup like this. And I'll bet with good sponsor funding they would give it a try if they saw any potential merit to it for what they are doing which is making a lot of horsepower quick. Good luck with the trial of this item.

There's two different conversations, sorry if I wasn't clear.

Convo 1 is going on a Pat Musi built 427 SBC using 8 injectors on a street car making about 575 HP at the crank.

Convo 2 is addressing the FAST TBI system for the person that asked.

Both applications use the same ECU.....the one I'm testing.

Understand I am testing the ECU, NOT the format in which it is applied.

Last edited by Jsup; 04-19-2010 at 10:07 PM.
Old 04-19-2010, 10:00 PM

Here's some cars running the first version:
Mark Pickens:

Corey Glidwell

TJ Tracey

Brad Clarke

I can give a couple dozen more, but that would take some time. Maybe you weren't at those tracks....

The throttle body conversion is a street solution.

I'm testing how well this stuff performs in a street car.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.