fuel injected 1992 ford 302 to Carbureted? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2007, 03:17 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

fuel injected 1992 ford 302 to Carbureted?

i have a 1981 Mercury Capri with a dead 255 v8 in it that i want to replace with a 302 v8.
to get this V8 i am thinking about buying a wrecked 1992 Thunderbird (w/ 150000 mi) that is in the area, but want to know some things about the engine first.
1. Will the fuel injected H.O. 302 from 1992 be able to be use a carbureted manifold with the factory heads? i have an Edlebrock torker II manifold and 600cfm Holley that came with the Mercury that i would like to use but don't know if it will work with the head blocks.
2. Are the heads on the Thunderbird V8 the same as the ones that would be on a 302 in a mustang ( of the same year)?
3. other than changing to a carb, exhaust manifolds and oil pan, what else will i need to do to make the motor work in the mercury? the merc has a C4 auto, so will i need a different flywheel/ harmonic balancer/ pulleys/computer crap!??
4. What sort of power is it reasonable to expect from this setup assuming it has long headers and 3inch straight pipes? Will i be able to run regular gas or will premium be my only option?(this is not as much of concern, but i guess while i am bugging yall, it wouldn't hurt to ask..)

i am planning on going and buying the t-bird tomorrow so i would like to know what i am getting into... Thanks alot

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2007, 04:36 PM

swap

The eng will drop in as is, except for the exhaust manifolds. the pan is the same. I have a 88 t-bird eng in a fox. the eng seems a little hi mileage for me. The big thing to change to carb is the intake and a diff dist.I don't like your intake, i would use a dual plane . 400 hp is a reasonable no. for street use, but will need to chg cam, and headsprobably pistons. get a crate eng.
Old 04-11-2007, 04:48 PM

Last photo:

3 inch pipes will kill any low end power on your 302
x2 on the manifold..weiand 8011 stealth works great on the street
to be realsitic, you can expect 275-300 hp on the street, and live with it as a ral "driver"
Old 04-11-2007, 07:53 PM

Swapping

i would love to have a crate engine, maybe a 347 stroker, and it is possible that in the future this motor may become one, but for now i am on a very tight budget and schedule. i have about $700 to spend on getting my car running by mid may. the T-bird is $350. to have a used long block shipped to me it would be $370 or more. i feel that despite the mileage this motor will get me rolling until i can get a bit more cash.
for this reason i am temporarily stuck with my intake, and have few choices with the exhaust. i have the stock cast headers, a pair of welded short manifolds, and a pair of long ones that end in 3 inch pipes. i was going to go for these with fabricated straight side pipes, but am open to other cheap choices. (the stock single exhaust is rotted out) If i made the pipes a smaller diameter, would it help keep the power band lower? i know that the torker is rated at 2500-6500, but even below 2500 it will still HAVE to make more power than the 60 horse '84 Toyota wagon i have been schlepping around in.

What are some other cheap performance mods i could do? Would i be able to use the distributer from the 255 on the 302 or would i need a new one?
i have also heard from several people that gt40 heads would help alot. what model explorers are these in? would they be a good investment our should i save for a set of nice aluminum ones? Would it be a good idea to tear the motor down and re ring it, have the bores honed and replace the gaskets, or should i just degrease it, fix what is obviously wrong, and stick it in? Chances are it will be back out for performance work regardless in 6 months or so.

i am young and inexperienced, so sorry if i ask things that seem to be common knowledge. So any advice helps.
Old 04-11-2007, 09:50 PM

Last photo:

Does the fuel-injection work on the 302?
Old 04-11-2007, 11:32 PM

fuel injection

as far as i know it does, but i don't know if it would work with out its electronics crap.
Old 04-12-2007, 12:48 AM

Last photo:

It won't work at all without it, but it sure works well with it. Throttle response and fuel economy would be much better with EFI, although it wouldn't have the "traditional" look for sure. If all that "electronic crap" is put together right, it's pretty much bulletproof. My '88 T-bird didn't have any EFI problems until it hit ~170,000 miles, other than needing a shot of throttle blade cleaner spray every few years.

I got a free set of stock 5.0 Mustang headers and H-pipe from a guy who had bought some aftermarket stuff for his car and figured the old stuff was just getting in his way. You might scratch around and find a similar deal. It's not the absolute best stuff out there, but the price is right and it would be an easy fit for your car.
Old 04-12-2007, 10:59 AM

Last photo:

if cash is tight...don't pull the heads...the gt 40's are nice, on a budget, but can be a PITA as far as plug clearance. An injected 302 should be be just fine at 150k..injected motors last. The 5.0 mustang guys change parts like most people change socks, looking for an extra tenth....make getting parts cheap. The torker makes power from 2500 up to 6500. Your motor is done at 5500.Period. It will run for now, with that combination, but for low end torque, a dual plane wins hands down. Stick with 2 in pipes on the exh..will help the low end power. If you are going to pull the motor apart & reseal it, see if you can find a 5.0 ho cam out of a 89-91 motor. The actually work pretty well & have the low end grunt you need. If this is a short term motor, no need to do machine work at this time.
Old 04-12-2007, 03:12 PM
aka Duke of URL

Last wiki edit: Finding vacuum leaks Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Gun

i have a 1981 Mercury Capri with a dead 255 v8 in it that i want to replace with a 302 v8. to get this V8 i am thinking about buying a wrecked 1992 Thunderbird
  • 1. Will the fuel injected H.O. 302 from 1992 be able to be use a carbureted manifold with the factory heads? i have an Edlebrock torker II manifold and 600cfm Holley that came with the Mercury that i would like to use but don't know if it will work with the head blocks.
  • The heads will accept a carbureted intake. The TORKER II is going to kill you on the street. The 91 5.0L HO is not designed for that intake. See thumbnails below about possible coolant runner misalignments.

• Quote:
    2. Are the heads on the Thunderbird V8 the same as the ones that would be on a 302 in a mustang ( of the same year)?
    Yes.

• Quote:
    3. other than changing to a carb, exhaust manifolds and oil pan, what else will i need to do to make the motor work in the mercury? the merc has a C4 auto, so will i need a different flywheel/ harmonic balancer/ pulleys/computer crap!??

The only thing I can think of is the 81 4.2L is a light metal engine (28oz imbalance) and the 92 5.0L is a heavy metal engine (50oz imbalance). You can keep the 92 flexplate and balancer to make it become a 50oz. engine. The C4 will go to the later flexplate. Your only problem is if the 92 5.0L balancer will accept the 81 4.2L drive pulley for proper FEAD retention. You may have to find an 82 4.2L balancer (to retain origional drive) or use the 92 5.0L balancer and FEAD (Front End Accessory Drive).

It should be able to run regular fuel and you should be able to retain the 4.2L distributor and DURASPARK II igntion.

DO NOT discard the EFI parts. Sell them so as to make up some of your spent monies.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	302-5.0L Gasket Misalignment_1.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	20408   Click image for larger version

Name:	302-5.0L Gasket Misalignment_2.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	20409   Click image for larger version

Name:	302-5.0L Gasket Misalignment_3.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	20410  
Old 04-13-2007, 01:35 AM

intake + FEAD

So i did buy the T-bird. it was $300. that means an extra $50 to spend on the motor. There seems to be a consensus here that the intake that i have will be a lot of trouble/not very effective. after poking around online i see there are 4 choices.
Edelbrock Performer- idle-5500
Edelbrock Performer RPM -1500-6000
Weiand action +plus- idle- 6000
Weiand Stealth - idle- 6000

it looks like i can get any one of these for around $100 and i could probably sell my old one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KULTULZ
The only thing I can think of is the 81 4.2L is a light metal engine (28oz imbalance) and the 92 5.0L is a heavy metal engine (50oz imbalance). You can keep the 92 flexplate and balancer to make it become a 50oz. engine. The C4 will go to the later flexplate. Your only problem is if the 92 5.0L balancer will accept the 81 4.2L drive pulley for proper FEAD retention. You may have to find an 82 4.2L balancer (to retain origional drive) or use the 92 5.0L balancer and FEAD (Front End Accessory Drive).
I want to get rid of the A/c and any emissions equipment. i have seen eliminator kits but would rather do without them entirely . Is this possible? Also what difference will using the 92 FEAD make as far as difficulty in installing and making everything work right?

As far as exhaust, could i possibly make the single exhaust from the t-bird work?
Old 04-13-2007, 01:56 AM
aka Duke of URL

Last wiki edit: Finding vacuum leaks Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Gun

There seems to be a consensus here that the intake that i have will be a lot of trouble/not very effective. after poking around online i see there are 4 choices.

Edelbrock Performer- idle-5500
Edelbrock Performer RPM -1500-6000
Weiand action +plus- idle- 6000
Weiand Stealth - idle- 6000

it looks like i can get any one of these for around $100 and i could probably sell my old one.
Any of those will be good. The EDEL PERFORMER is a good choice as the engine is an HO. The RPM will give you more breathing at higher RPM's but you will lose low end torque. It all depends on how you intend to use the car.

Quote:
I want to get rid of the A/c and any emissions equipment. i have seen eliminator kits but would rather do without them entirely . Is this possible? Also what difference will using the 92 FEAD make as far as difficulty in installing and making everything work right?

As far as exhaust, could i possibly make the single exhaust from the t-bird work?
The 4.2L has most likely two drive belts? The 5.0L will have one serpentine. It may be easier to try and adapt the 5.0L drive and eliminate A/C and Thermactor. You may have to adapt your charging harness to accept the later ALT, but you have the BIRD for donor parts.

If you want to retain the origional single exhaust, you will most likely have to have the inlet pipe (Y-PIPE) modified to go to the 5.0L exhaust manifolds unless the 4.2L manifolds can be used. The BIRD exhaust will not work as you will see once you look under it.

It might be more practical to adapt a later 5.0L MUST dual exhaust to the chassis. Look at SUMMIT for prices.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.