Fuel Injected Small block - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2004, 10:19 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Fuel Injected Small block

I am very new to this hotrod thing, as I have been a motorcycle racer my whole life anyway I have a zz4 crate engine which is lacking in power. It has the non fastburn heads and currently has a fast fuel injection system with a closed wide band o2 sensor and bank to bank firing. I am considering the edelbrock victor efi intake with a matching throttle body. I would like to get about 450 horses out of this engine. I have a 5sp trans as well. I was considering the afr heads as well as some edelbrock units. I have no clue what size heads to run or what kind of valvetrain. I wnat something that is bolt on, no hassels about valve clearance. Anyway I want a combo that is still streetable and with a comp. ratio around 10 or so. Also what type of cam would be good for this set up.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2004, 11:57 AM

Since you are concidering edelbrock or afs, I would call their tech support and tell them what you want and what you have these are the people that can really guide you and put you in with the right parts the frist time out this way there is no second guessing and waste of your hard earned money. Good Luck Fred
Old 03-21-2004, 12:28 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Carburetor
Last journal entry: Clean up
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

for 450 horse you'll need quite a lot of cam (upwards of the 280 range) which will cost you vacuum (not really a huge deal, you can always run a vacuum canister) and streetability. You'll probably need a 190 or so head with 2.02 valves. 10:1 compression should do the trick. ZZ4 is a roller motor right? You may be able to get by with a little less cam in that case. Check out ryans stroker page to look for some combos.

I've heard good things about the edelbrock injection kits, but Turbos10 is probably the guy to talk to for all of the specifics on the setup.

K
Old 03-21-2004, 03:32 PM
If you Can Dream it, You can D

You want 450 HP go with a 427, 454 set-up and forget the SM. Oh yew if you raced cycles how many time have you bounced on your head. Latter
Old 03-21-2004, 03:55 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally posted by Auto-Part
You want 450 HP go with a 427, 454 set-up and forget the SM. Oh yew if you raced cycles how many time have you bounced on your head. Latter
Buddy, this dosen't even come remotely close to answering his question.
Old 03-21-2004, 08:52 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Auto Terms and Definitions Used in Modern Engine T... Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

The edelbrock intake is a nice piece. I have a bastardized pro flo on my turbo engine and the quality is top notch. Something to think about is you will also have to by their fuel rails or make some of your own. I am really not too sure of the limits of the zz4 hardware, but the FAST efi is a good unit I think. I have heard good things about them. If you could get me more info on the existing zz4 setup I could give you a better idea of what you need. BTW was the FAST efi an add on or does it come with the zz4? I am just not familiar with that engine.

I would suggest looking into heads to make more power before you spend a ton on the EFI intake. I think a set of AFR, canfield, or Edelbrock victor heads would make alot more difference than the intake.

Chris
Old 03-22-2004, 08:23 AM

Last photo:

i would look into some forced induction if i were you, the zz4 will do about 430 Hp with the Hot cam, and fast burn heads, the 80 Hp increase just isnt worth the expense in my oppinion, a used centrifugal supercharger is about the same price, and a set of T3īs will cost you less than 1000 bucks in total if you fabricate the manifolds yourself. and since you are allready running the FAST with WB O2 your engine is almost screaming for high tech mods.

btw, the BBC answer above is, other than being totally besides the point, pretty much on the money with regards to what limits your engine (most chevy SB for that matter) horsepower wise, namely the heads! and there are two fixes for that:1 get other heads, or: 2 force air through the ones you allready have (that way you can also keep your intake and TB.)

i would go with the turbos myself but thats just me...( and chris )
Old 03-22-2004, 08:46 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Auto Terms and Definitions Used in Modern Engine T... Last photo:

As far as power goes, I cant agree more with duece on the turbos. But, this will take alot of time and fabrication along with some upgrades and a new tune on the FAST controller. I think a hot naturally aspirated engine would be a good start for you. It has taken me a long time to get my turbo EFI engine running and it has had many pitfalls. I have been rodding for 10 years as well. Finished my first build of my 57 at 16.

Once you get some experience under your belt, turbos would be a cool addtion.

Chris
Old 03-22-2004, 10:40 AM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Quote:
Originally posted by Steve karch
Buddy, this dosen't even come remotely close to answering his question.
Answered my question........Auto Part is a .......................oh, never mind, its not worth it.

Budget RVs
Old 03-22-2004, 11:26 AM
If you Can Dream it, You can D

Quote:
Originally posted by TurboS10
As far as power goes, I cant agree more with duece on the turbos. But, this will take alot of time and fabrication along with some upgrades and a new tune on the FAST controller. I think a hot naturally aspirated engine would be a good start for you. It has taken me a long time to get my turbo EFI engine running and it has had many pitfalls. I have been rodding for 10 years as well. Finished my first build of my 57 at 16.

Once you get some experience under your belt, turbos would be a cool addtion.

Chris
Are you guys morons the cost of turbos and other mods on a small Block engine will run-yaw around $10,000. Like the guy said he is new to the hobby give him a straight answer. " if you want 450HP go with a nice mild BB Period

Quote:
Originally posted by poncho62
Answered my question........Auto Part is a .......................oh, never mind, its not worth it.
Old man be nice or I will report you.
Old 03-22-2004, 11:53 AM

Last photo:

no.. we are not morons, we have both built turbo setups for way less than 10.000 bucks though, although mine was a vw 1.3 and turbo-s10 has built, well the awesome turbocharged v8 s10 you see in his galleries.
Old 03-22-2004, 12:26 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

For your information Auto-***** I have less than $600 in my turbo parts.

Can someone get this ***** of the board?
Old 03-22-2004, 01:49 PM

Last photo:

never mind him, if he believes that a BBC is the ticket and a turbo setup actually costs 10.000$ then the advice is well meant atleast..
Old 03-22-2004, 02:52 PM
'70 Chevelle '70 C10

Last photo:

He said small block TURBO ENGINE, not the price of a turbo itself, you guys would argue with him if he said a $98 part cost $100. I am probably going to start a fight of stupidity with this reply. Yep really a *****?? He said somthing cost $10,000..
If you bought the parts out of a magazine in your case TurboS10 I would bet that you purchaced parts off Ebay or other internet sites it would be easily 10K, DO I NEED TO INCLUDE A PART LIST??

For your build I would go with a Hydraulic roller setup, to keep a fairly smooth and streetable idle and less maitnence Lookong at my Comp Cams catalog the Comp Magnum 280HR or the Xtreme Energy XR282HR look pretty good.

You don't really need fuel injection, sure it makes more power, but most fuel injection system costs $2000+ compared to $400-450 for a carburetor. You only gain about 10 hp at the peak, so for a lot of guys it isnít worth the money. Off-roaders will probably go to EFI before street machiners because it helps them overcome steep grades and vibrations that cause trouble with carbs. If it was me I'd get a nice 750 holley and a Victor Jr intake. For heads AFR, and Canfield are some of the Best 23 degree small block heads made. AFR 195's would be just the ticket and would be streetable with the smaller runners. If you run roller rockers, lifters, roller cam, AFR heads, Victor JR and 750 holley it should make 450hp.

Here's the specs on those cams:
Both are Hydraulic Roller

280HR
Lift- int .525, exh .525
Duration @50- int 224, exh 224
110 lobe seperation
2000-5500 Rpm range

XR282HR
Lift- int .510, exh .520
Duration @50- int 230, exh 236
110 lobe seperation
2500-6000
Old 03-22-2004, 02:58 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Carburetor
Last journal entry: Clean up
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Quote:
Originally posted by GearHead69
He said small block TURBO ENGINE, not the price of a turbo itself, you guys would argue with him if he said a $98 part cost $100. I am probably going to start a fight of stupidity with this reply. Yep really a *****?? He said somthing cost $10,000..
If you bought the parts out of a magazine in your case TurboS10 I would bet that you purchaced parts off Ebay or other internet sites it would be easily 10K, DO I NEED TO INCLUDE A PART LIST??

For your build I would go with a Hydraulic roller setup, to keep a fairly smooth and streetable idle and less maitnence Lookong at my Comp Cams catalog the Comp Magnum 280HR or the Xtreme Energy XR282HR look pretty good.

You don't really need fuel injection, sure it makes more power, but most fuel injection system costs $2000+ compared to $400-450 for a carburetor. You only gain about 10 hp at the peak, so for a lot of guys it isnít worth the money. Off-roaders will probably go to EFI before street machiners because it helps them overcome steep grades and vibrations that cause trouble with carbs. If it was me I'd get a nice 750 holley and a Victor Jr intake. For heads AFR, and Canfield are some of the Best 23 degree small block heads made. AFR 195's would be just the ticket and would be streetable with the smaller runners. If you run roller rockers, lifters, roller cam, AFR heads, Victor JR and 750 holley it should make 450hp.

Here's the specs on those cams:
Both are Hydraulic Roller

280HR
Lift- int .525, exh .525
Duration @50- int 224, exh 224
110 lobe seperation
2000-5500 Rpm range

XR282HR
Lift- int .510, exh .520
Duration @50- int 230, exh 236
110 lobe seperation
2500-6000
Dude. You're 15. Turbo S10 is an engineer and has built a turbo engine. None of us are on your side. If credability on this matter was on a 1-100 scale, Turbo would be about a 97 and you would be about a .02 (with age and highschool modifiers added).

K

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.