Hot Rod Forum banner

Fuel injection on 302

6K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  67MercCat 
#1 ·
Hey everybody I'm considering going to fuel injection now with my Ford 302. I'm would like to know why some guys buy a new EFI wiring kit instead of using the original harness, computer and wiring. Is it too difficult?

If I want to change it to EFI (with a MAF) what are the necessary hook ups? I know the o2 sensor, MAF, fuel return system and injectors but what else is involved to make it run?

#2 ·
Hey everybody I'm considering going to fuel injection now with my Ford 302. I'm would like to know why some guys buy a new EFI wiring kit instead of using the original harness, computer and wiring. Is it too difficult?

If I want to change it to EFI (with a MAF) what are the necessary hook ups? I know the o2 sensor, MAF, fuel return system and injectors but what else is involved to make it run?
Wiring can be pretty intimidating for many. The plug and play feature some kits offer makes it pretty "painless" one could say.

The best way to convert is to have a donor car, like a mustang and grab what you can.
Are you carbed now?
What year make model are we working on?

#3 ·
yes I'm carbed now, wiring doesn't bother me none, they're really straight forward if you approach them with patience. The engine year I'm working on is a late roller block in my 67 Cougar. I drive it often so I'm looking to get off the carb wagon for awhile. I think I could grab the computer from an 90-92 mustang, collect Injectors from the Turbocoupe or Supercharged 3.8 Thunderbird (36 lbs.), fuel system, MAF, O2 sensor. anything else?

I have a little supercharging project going that I need a system that changes fuel mixture according to the air flow. I figured a MAF would handle that well right. Also I'm guessing that I have to change the firing order as well?

#4 ·
Not sure if the 90-92 had a MAF I dont recall. It might.
HO firing order is different from a standard 5.0.Maybe I am preaching to the choir here, sorry.
Grab the fuel sending unit so you can mod the one you have with the newer OE stuff. At least you can "bone It" for the pump hanger and such to fab a new setup for the getup.
I think the Airflow density systems ( MAF) perform better than the speed density setups ( MAP), and the mileage is better too, believe it or not.
Also fuel fittings lines and anything fuel related should be scarffed.
Nylon line is easy to work with and works well. It can be bought in 25 or 50 foot rolls too, so you can make a seamless run from front to rear.

#7 ·
this is a pretty good overview for a 5.0 EFI swap .. although it's on a classic mustang, much should still apply to your Merc. At one time there was a real good article on Ford-Trucks.com about using a Crown Vic donor car, and utilizing as much original parts as possible off the donor to keep the cost down - might be in their tech section.

Swapping A 5.0L EFI & T-5 Into A Classic Mustang - Mustang Evolution

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.