Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Engine (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/engine/)
-   -   Fuel Injection Cleaner (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/fuel-injection-cleaner-3679.html)

Joe S 09-24-2002 04:59 AM

Fuel Injection Cleaner

Does anybody know of a GOOD Fuel Injection Cleaner for Gasoline engines and also a good cleaner for Diesel engines.

Mertz 09-24-2002 06:28 AM

I have been told by several "experts" the Techron is one of the best fuel injection cleaners available. Berryman's B12 is also a great cleaner. I have used them both but have never had any noticable improvements in performance with either. If you use a good grade of gas you probably will not need them. Switch brands of gas every 3000 miles and the different additives in the different brands will keep the deposits from building up. My cars run best on Chevron with Techron in the gas. Adding more doesn't seem to help. I switch to Exxon for a few tank fulls and don't get the milage.

Ted655 09-24-2002 06:53 AM

There is a kit for cleaning injectors. It is "involved", more than just pouring something into the tank. You have to disconnect some sencers, fuel supply,etc.

MHenricks 09-24-2002 07:13 AM

If you can find a BG product supplier, they have a good cleaner and other lubricants.

Joe S 09-27-2002 11:29 AM

How much does the involed systems run and what is involved, I want to clean the injectors on the donar car I am using before I pull it for my project just one thing to eliminate that might go wrong. Also my Dodge Cummins has 250,000 on it and I would like to find a way to clean the injectors with out pulling them.

Ted655 09-27-2002 07:21 PM

Oh golly! Don't hold me to it, but I think around $30.00. I was watching the guys on "Shade Tree Mechanic" on TV They were demostrating it one Sunday. Those are the guys who have every tool they need, never get greasy and nothing ever sticks, braks and always fits perfectly. :D

Wmarden 09-28-2002 03:02 AM

[quote]Originally posted by Ted655:
<strong> Those are the guys who have every tool they need, never get greasy and nothing ever sticks, braks and always fits perfectly. :D </strong><hr></blockquote>

Yeah I need to borrow some of their luck. I have never had something not take more time than I thought it would. At least I get to learn and make up new cuss words when I am working on a car.

Speaking of which one time they showed some outtakes on Hot Rod TV(or whatever it is called now), and man you should have seen this one piece give them all kinds of fun.

KULTULZ 09-28-2002 03:33 AM

An Injection Service consists of an aerosol or shop air introduced solvent directly into the fuel rail after disabling the car's fuel supply so that the car runs only off the solvent until depleted. This service is not so much for the injectors as ridding the combustion chamber of carbon buildup. There also is a service in which solvent is srayed into the intake manifold(s) to rid them of carbon deposits (from intake flow reversion). It usually costs around $69.95 in this area just for the injection service.

If you are concerned with only the injectors themselves, you can have them flow tested and calibrated on the bench or bite the bullet and go up one size (19lbs. to 22lbs.) cheaply with injectors from a supplier such as ACCEL.

Joe S 10-02-2002 07:45 AM

Thanx again Kulz This is my first conversion with the EFI and I want everything to be correct on the donar car before I pull the motor out to put in my project. Still wateing on the Manual from Ford Racing for the EFI wiring, you have been a big help. :cool: