Fuel Injection Fuel line Plumbing - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2004, 10:38 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Fuel Injection Fuel line Plumbing

I'm installing a Holley Mpfi system on my 383 stoker that's going in my 1980 Camaro RS.

I have a question on how to plumb the fuel lines if anyone can help.

You have to have a main fuel supply line, a fuel return line, and a vent line from the tank to keep the pressure from building up. Ok, so how do I do this, can I modify my stock tank, or does it already have a return line and/or a vent line. Should I try to modify it, or should I just try to find a tank out of a 3rd or 4th gen camaro that already has all the lines and find a way to stick it in my camaro. This is using an inline, not in tank, high pressure fuel pump.

Thanks,
Will

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2004, 05:21 AM

Last journal entry: JB's 37 Pickup
Last photo:

I would think your best option would be to replace your tank with an early EFI tank, like 85-88. You would most likley have to remove your existing tank to make the plumbing modifications any way.

Trees
Old 06-09-2004, 08:07 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

When I did my Fuel injection conversion I modified my existing tank. However it is in a pickup and was easier as it is directly behind the seats. If you choose to modify your own tank, do it safely. I emptied my tank and then filled it fully with water and then pumped it out using my old electric low pressure pump when I was done with the modifications. This is probably the safest way however you are better off having it full of gas than empty as its the vapors that will explode. I use a vented cap so I never did run a vapor line and it hasn't built up any pressure.

Good luck.
Old 06-09-2004, 10:07 AM

Last photo:

never thought about a vented cap, that's a great idea. as for running the other lines, i can replace the existing fuel supply line with high pressure line with the inline pump installed, but what should I to, or better, where should I insert the return line. I've heard that it needs to be near the bottom of the fuel pick-up so as not to arriate the gas when it goes back in.

Thanks,
Will
Old 06-09-2004, 10:43 AM
Rebuilt Excitment

Last photo:

When I have done it I had a new tank made with a return line, it just needs to go into the tank. I have even seen people put a "t" in the supply line between the tank and the fuel pump. The only line you should need to replace in any rubber line that is between the tank and the injection unit, the steel line will be fine. Also run a good quality filter between the fuel pump and the engine.
Old 06-09-2004, 10:52 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

I set mine coming through the top of the tank about 1 inch down into it. It does have room to drop a little before hitting the rest of the gas. I just wanted to make sure the fuel would return okay. Not sure if this was the best setup but it works.

What are you using for an inline pump? I find a pump designed for use with an 85 ford ranger pumps more than enough and is a lot cheaper than some of those high performance efi in-line pumps.

Oh yeah and do make sure any supply lines are Fuel Injection lines because standard fuel lines cant handle prolonged high pressure. For the return line this is not critical as its not as intense going back and unless you are idleing, you dont have much if any fuel going through that line.
Old 06-09-2004, 11:53 AM

Last photo:

ok, explain the 't' line to the fuel line between the tank and the pump. it just goes back to the line instead of back to the tank? therefore getting rid of the need for a vent at all? oh yeah, i'm using the in-line high pressure pump that comes with the holley system. i guess using the T line into the main line saves me from having to cut into the tank right?

thanks,
Will
Old 06-09-2004, 12:18 PM
Rebuilt Excitment

Last photo:

It is just a fitting to tie the return line into the supply line. As far as the fuel pump, I use one for a full size ford truck (F250 with a 460) in-line pump. Be sure and mount it where you can get to it and away from heat. Your tank may already be vented from the factory, if not just run a vented cap.
Old 06-10-2011, 04:33 PM

Fuel t back into supply line didn't work on 5.0

My return line was t'ed back into the supply line on my 51 ford truck with a fuel injected 5.0. It worked fine until sitting at a light idling on a very hot day with a/c on. It would have a vapor lock effect. (boiling gas in the system) The engine would start missing and if you couldn't get moving and some cool air under the truck the engine would die and not start until it cooled off.
The cure for this is to pull the gas neck off the tank, weld a fitting into the side of it and then run the return line into the gas neck; therefore not having to pull the tank off and weld a fitting into it.
What was happening was the very hot gas that has just been through the injection system wasn't getting a chance to cool off by returning to the tank.

Last edited by David 1949; 06-10-2011 at 04:40 PM.
Old 06-10-2011, 05:22 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: Motor - vator
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by trees
I would think your best option would be to replace your tank with an early EFI tank, like 85-88. You would most likley have to remove your existing tank to make the plumbing modifications any way.

Trees
I agree with trees. The tank mentioned would have the 3 lines you want.Of course you would have to modify the pickup tube just a tad to suck from the bottom if you use the external pump from holley.
And actually, you could just run both pumps, just use a tbi pump on the sender (13 psi) to act as a pusher for the holley on the frame. This would ensure a fuel starvation problem would not arise.
The vent tube can just go to atmosphere, but if your car is to be parked in the garage you might want to look into an evap system for it.It really is nice, it keeps the fumes out of the house and the shop.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.