Hot Rod Forum banner

fuel injector code

1K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  Richiehd 
#1 ·
hi im working on a 99 dodge durango with a 5.2 its idling rough and will not rev past 3000 rpm i threw the scanner on it and it came up with a 2,1,5 and fuel injector open circuit code but all my injectors are spraying fuel if anyone knows what this could be i would appreciate the help thanks

#4 · (Edited)
That was an injector code for injector in cylinder number 1.
Probably needs a new injector. Seen it before , did it yesterday.
Check the wiring over well. The injector can be ohmed out but wont allways give a reading that is indicative of being faulty, but it can . It can be bad and still read OK when checked. Problem is most likely intermittent, but the ECM is catching it.
I would change the injector on it.
Just curious. How do you know the injector is spraying fuel ?

#6 ·
They are probably all going bad.
How can you be sure they are still spraying? If there is an electrical problem with them they may spray most of the time skip one or two sprays and set the code. Hard to see them Not spraying really, even if you can see them.
Let me ask you this ...Does it run just Fine or ?

#8 ·
A plugged cat will cause a real sluggish response, as it plugs more, the response gets worse. Easy to check... just lower the exhaust at the manifolds by loosening the bolts and just leave the pipes hang there loose, with an air gap between.Basically unhooking the exhaust.Then drive it, If performance is restored, Bada Bing , you found the trouble.
If you are getting injector codes, they are bad. Replace them.
It would be a real good Idea to perform a compression test to be sure that you mill is up to snuff as well, before dumping a bunch of cash into injectors and cats.

#9 ·
There is a TSB for this condition, it is Chrysler #18-017-02. It involves reprogramming the Powertrain Control Module (PCM). These are false codes that are being set. There normally is nothing wrong with the vehicle.

This from Direct Fix. You may also have other issues.

#10 ·
That is good info RichieHD . I have seen injectors cause an issue like he is describing, but I understand and agree with what you are saying.I was not aware of a service bulletin for the false codes.
I did suspect other issues as well, hence the suggestion for a compression test.
Its allways good to have other opinions, and in this case good factual info, :thumbup: , like a tsb for the injector codes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.