Fuel leaking from under nozzle in carb - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2013, 10:04 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Fuel leaking from under nozzle in carb

Hi all,
New here and found this forum trying to find a solution to my problem. Hopefully I found the right place :-)

I have a ProForm (Holley) 750 on a 455 in my 66 GTO and noticed the front nozzle leaks fuel from under the nozzle where the washer is. I only noticed it when trying to find the cause of flooding. Once my car gets around 210 its not long before it floods out, I know its weird, but it seems to never do it until the temp is 200-210, not before.

I reset the float to the very bottom of the plugs. It was a little high so I thought it couldn't hurt. I also replaced the washers again. It is still leaking fuel, a nice steady steam comes out. I don't see any cracks in the nozzle, new washers, correct float level, I'm out of ideas :-( I have the fuel pressure set to 4.5 PSI.

I'll also note that when going into 2nd gear it seems to fall flat on its face, definitely not pulling like it should. Sounds and feels like too much fuel. If I go into 2nd easy and ease on the throttle its fine. I was thinking this was related to the first problem, but if not it might help someone point me in the right direction. But I usually can't go more than 30 minutes without it flooding out.

Any ideas what I can try?

Thanks!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2013, 10:42 AM

Last photo:

Anyone?
Old 07-24-2013, 11:00 AM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

you may have a faulty needle and seat- it would explain flooding but not a temp coincidence.

your fuel pressure is a hair low too, do you have a more than adequate fuel pump? If it pulses then that can play hell with the needle and seat.
Old 07-24-2013, 12:07 PM

Last photo:

I have a high flow electronic pump. It is loud and does make some pulsing sound. But I thought it was normal sound of operation.
Old 07-24-2013, 12:09 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6T6GTO View Post
Hi all,
New here and found this forum trying to find a solution to my problem. Hopefully I found the right place :-)

I have a ProForm (Holley) 750 on a 455 in my 66 GTO and noticed the front nozzle leaks fuel from under the nozzle where the washer is. I only noticed it when trying to find the cause of flooding. Once my car gets around 210 its not long before it floods out, I know its weird, but it seems to never do it until the temp is 200-210, not before.

I reset the float to the very bottom of the plugs. It was a little high so I thought it couldn't hurt. I also replaced the washers again. It is still leaking fuel, a nice steady steam comes out. I don't see any cracks in the nozzle, new washers, correct float level, I'm out of ideas :-( I have the fuel pressure set to 4.5 PSI.

I'll also note that when going into 2nd gear it seems to fall flat on its face, definitely not pulling like it should. Sounds and feels like too much fuel. If I go into 2nd easy and ease on the throttle its fine. I was thinking this was related to the first problem, but if not it might help someone point me in the right direction. But I usually can't go more than 30 minutes without it flooding out.

Any ideas what I can try?

Thanks!
I'm not sure what you mean by "nozzle" is this where the fuel line connects to the carb or are you talking about a boost venturi in one of the primary ("front") venturies?

Proform is a Chinese Holley clone, not a real Holley.

Bogie
Old 07-24-2013, 12:30 PM

Last photo:

Hi, sorry, I'm not sure what thy are called. Maybe jets? They have 2 holes that squirt fuel into the 4 big holes. One in front, other in the back.
Old 07-24-2013, 01:38 PM

Last photo:

THose are called boosters. If it's leaking fuel it's flooding. Maybe 2 high of fuel pressure, a high float level or since it does it when the temp of the motor hits 210 then the fuel is starting to boil in the bowl.
You need a spacer to isolate your carb from the manifold or even a heat plate to keep the heat from the bowls.
Here's some heat plates.
http://www.ebay.com/bhp/holley-heat-shield

And some ideas for spacers.
http://www.ebay.com/bhp/1-2-carb-spacer
Old 07-24-2013, 02:15 PM

I think you are talking about the squirters. They have small gaskets under them. If I let mine sit for a few weeks they start to leak.
Old 07-24-2013, 10:28 PM

Last photo:

Here is a pic pointing to the thing I am talking about. It leaks from the bottom of it where the washer is. I have even replaced the washer.

Old 07-24-2013, 10:37 PM

Yes those are the squirters technically called discharge nossles. There should be a gasket under there not a washer.
Old 07-24-2013, 10:43 PM

Last photo:

Sorry, I suppose it is a gasket. But thought of it as a washer. I bought the rebuild kit and didn't see any that were the exact same thickness as what was in there before. Same material, but about half as thick. I just don't understand how any fuel can get past it. I even tried to double them.

I should note this was on the car when I bought it, so I'm not even sure if the correct gasket/washer was in there to begin with. So I don't know a whole lot about this carb. The exploded view diagram I seen I couldn't find a thickness or even what type it is.
Old 07-24-2013, 10:49 PM

Is any fuel coming out of the squirters? Do the accelerator arms move correctly?
Old 07-24-2013, 11:07 PM

Last photo:

Yes, fuel comes out of them just fine. I've made sure its clean and not clogged. As for the arm, you mean the one in the upper left of my pic with the red spring on top? Id so, yes, it seems to move fine.

P.s. Mine does not have that thing on the right side of the picture.
Old 07-24-2013, 11:44 PM

Yes that is the arm. This seems kinda strange but I would just replace the squirter it may has a crack u can't see they are just cast pot metal. Also if u can post some pics of those gaskets u have I can compare them to mine and see if they correct. I can get u a part number for them also
Old 07-24-2013, 11:49 PM

Also does the squirter screw look correct?

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.