Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (
-   Engine (
-   -   fuel line fittings? (

xpsyclonex2002 07-30-2010 05:28 PM

fuel line fittings?
1 Attachment(s)
I have the following fuel filter for a 99 corvette that I am using on my 5.7 hemi swap. I am not familier with these new fuel line quick connect stuff. One side of this thing has barbs to slide a hose on but the discharge side has a quick connect. I believe the size is 3/8". How do I convert this to a hose? I went to NAPA and they looked at me like I was from Mars. I even went behind the counter and looked at what they had. It looked like all they had only items with female ends. It appears that the filter has a female end already.

stimpy 07-30-2010 05:34 PM

there is a special tool to make the hard lines to fit the female ends its made by mastercool its about $400 , aeromotive made fittings to convert some of these to adapt to braided lines you have to look what they make , if it was me I would rather use the fuel filter from a 90s FI chevy truck( starting in 96) as the fittings are readily available from earls and theres no goofy special tools needed to change it .

cobalt327 07-30-2010 06:00 PM

You could always go to your local JY and pick up a length of male-ended tubing w/the quick connect flare on it.

xpsyclonex2002 07-30-2010 08:01 PM

What kind of connectors are these called?

pepi 07-30-2010 09:02 PM

What rule says you have to stay with that filter, if it were me, considering that all fuel filters kind of have the same function. I'd get one that accepts the AN fittings. It would be much cleaner and look purposely built instead of some hack job, cobbled from junk yard parts.

cobalt327 07-30-2010 10:11 PM


Originally Posted by xpsyclonex2002
What kind of connectors are these called?

I've always called them a quick release coupling.

The cheap tool is one like:
Better tools are sold, obviously but this will get you through the job.

A compression fitting joint (for joining the JY line to the existing line) looks like:
Better than rubber, cheap but effective. Use a line clamp adjacent to the compression fitting.

The male QC connector looks just like the two male ends opposite from the female fitting end, BTW.

As long as your rod needs this exact filter for a reason, fine. Otherwise there are similar-type OEM and aftermarket filters that don't use the quick connect fittings.

xpsyclonex2002 07-30-2010 11:05 PM

I already have the corvette filter. I can't take it back.

cobalt327 07-30-2010 11:11 PM


Originally Posted by xpsyclonex2002
I already have the corvette filter. I can't take it back.

Lose the box? lol

Anyway, I guess what I'm saying is, that still doesn't mean you need to modify things just for the use of that filter, unless the ol' budget is killing you. They're are other filters that would surely be a better 'fit', I would think.

Pre-Tuner 07-31-2010 06:09 PM

Ya, you may end up spending more keeping that filter versus dumping it and getting something not so "special".

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:48 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.