Hot Rod Forum banner

Fuel lines

778 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  beachbum0 
#1 ·
I have a jeep fuel tank and pump for a 2000 cherokee V 8. going in my 1962 chevy pickup. I bought the aeromotive 1000 regulater and need advice on where to run my return line from. I have to engeneer the complete system. Recomended { by Aeromotive ], was 8AN return line from regulater, 10 AN inlet, and 6 AN to carb. I was wondering that if I ran the return line from the regulater wouldn't this keep the fuel pump in the tank running continualy, sending back fuel ? and is that ok? Or does the pressure build when the engine is not consuming fuel and shut down the return fuel also. This pic. is the pump and I will put return line in tank top. Thanks againe gear heads

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Fuel pump in the tank is made to run continually, sending return fuel to the tank keeps the fuel moving in the line and load against the pump low.

If it is used with a non-return regulator, it is very hard on the pump, pump is trying to push against a high pressure "wall" of fuel in the line..."deadheaded"

The return style regulator only sends back what is above the regulator's set pressure, that the carb or injection doesn't use. For example, if the carb or Injection use it all or nearly all(like Wide open throttle) none or very little will be sent back to the tank.

If there is none or very little sent back however, this means your pump/lines/system is too small, I was just giving an easy to understand example above, to show the return is just for what isn't being consumed

#3 ·
The unit in the picture does not run a return line. It has a return line at the unit, along with the regulator. It will put out about 45 PSI. You wont be able to regulate that with a lower PSI rated regulator...unless of course you make a spot for another return line from your system and return unconsumed fuel from the regulator at the front where you obviously will mount it.
Pumps like these run all the time, continuous duty. It is made to run continuous without hurting it.
You may want to modify your tank by installing a fitting for the return.
You may be able to a mod to the filler neck for the fitting for a return line.That would be the easiest place to work from as it most likely is a separate piece from the tank. :cool:

#4 ·
Don't know if you can read this but hear is what Aeromotive A1000 says. My 97 jag pump shuts off when the pressure builds up , same with my 3.8 chevy. I thought that all pumps shut down when thay build up and the engine dosn't need fuel. O well you learn somthing new every day. Anyway as far as the return line goes, im going to put a 8AN fitting in the tank. But if you read the insert [picture] it has a return fitting, 8AN , on the regulator to go back to the tank.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.