fuel pressure regulator - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2011, 09:27 AM
Dan

Wiki Edits: 0

fuel pressure regulator

Im running a holley electri fuel pump on my motor, and my $25 summit regulator is reading all over the place and i cant get it to adjust. also gas is going into my carb if i just run the pump without the motor running, bad regulator?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2011, 09:38 AM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

It sounds like the regulator is bum internally. That or the fuel tank doesn`t have a vent and the pressure build up inside the tank is overcoming the regulator.
Old 04-04-2011, 10:21 AM

Last photo:

Off topic a little if I may, but if I put a roller vortec motor in my older chevy truck I need electric fuel pump can I get one set to a specific psi our do I need a regulator too, what psi range should I be in? Thank you, sory op for the hijack.
Old 04-04-2011, 01:57 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Thanked 1,151 Times in 950 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 75chev4x4
Off topic a little if I may, but if I put a roller vortec motor in my older chevy truck I need electric fuel pump can I get one set to a specific psi our do I need a regulator too, what psi range should I be in? Thank you, sory op for the hijack.
5 psi max at the carb inlet for Edelbrock, Carter and Quadrajet.
6 psi max for Holley.
This is the type I normally use. Puts out 6 psi max at the pump, but by the time it goes through the lines and a filter, the pressure is a little less at the carb inlet. Mount it as close to the tank as possible. These pumps are designed to push, not pull. Some manufacturers say to install a filter between the tank and pump to prevent trash going through the pump. Others say that they don't want a filter there because if it gets clogged, it can burn out the pump. I install a good quality cannister type filter between the tank and the pump and then change it regularly, with another filter at the carb inlet. Mounting the pump to rubber and then mounting the rubber to the car will save your sanity by eliminating the drone of the pump motor through the sheetmetal of the car. Think sand and gravel conveyor belt material.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MAA-4070M/
Old 04-04-2011, 08:42 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87monte385
Im running a holley electri fuel pump on my motor, and my $25 summit regulator is reading all over the place and i cant get it to adjust. also gas is going into my carb if i just run the pump without the motor running, bad regulator?
Probably a bad regulator. But, the best solution with an electric pump is a by-passing regulator. Electric pumps put out the same amount of fuel whether the engine is idling or at WOT; unlike a mechanical pump whose out put is proportional to engine speed thus fuel consumption. It is not good to dead head an electric pump which will happen almost at idle and certainly if this thing runs with the engine off, which is incorrect wiring, it needs to be off when the engine doesn't run for safety's sake. However, if it's dead heading it beats the fuel to froth and overheats the fuel and the motor reducing pump life. Back in the good ole days of the Bendix diaphragm pump, these things shut themselves off when the line pressure reached about 4 PSI, these more modern hi capacity turbo impeller pumps do not, thus the need for a bypassing regulator if that's the type pump you're using. The big thing you need to do is to wire this pump so it doesn't run if the ignition isn't on, there should be directions with the pump on how to do this.

Bogie

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.