Hot Rod Forum banner

fuel pump???

924 views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  ernkazern 
#1 ·
Hello,
My throttle body injected 1995 Chevrolet K2500 recently quit while driving up the road. It started right back up then immediately quit. It did this twice more and then would not start at all. I checked the fuel filter which was full of gas, for flow. OK there. I checked the fuel pump relay with a meter and it was fine. To see if it is a wiring problem, is threre a way to check to see if the in-tank fuel pump is getting power without dropping the gas tank? Thanks

#2 ·
i dont think there is a way to check it without dropping the tank..seeing that it is a 1995 did you check your fuse box? there should be a fuse for the fuel pump, if so make sure you check that. if the fuel pump itself is good it could also be the strainer inside the tank...
-james-

#3 ·
Another guess

How old is the alternator?

I had the exact same truck and a 95 Astro Van. The Astro Van did the same thing, but it was at night so it was more obvious that the alternator went out. Once the battery was drained, there was no way that thing would stay running or even begin to start again.

But that truck is old enough now for all sorts of electrical gremlins to start creeping up. I'd do a basic cleaning of all terminals, and re-seat the relays.

Any chance you have an AC Delco side terminal battery? I had a terminal break off once, without it being obvious...until I grabbed the cable. Same type of symptoms.

Will the engine turn over with the starter.

Steve

#5 ·
Fuel pump

Hot wire where the relay plugs into the wiring harness or fuse block, battery voltage to fuel pump, with a fused jumper wire and listen for the pump to start running. If it doesn't try tapping on the bottom of the fuel tank to see if it'll start. If it does the odds are the pump is bad. If it doesn't check the fuel pump wire at the connector at the tank. Usually the fuel pump wire is gray on a Chevy. If you have voltage there check to be sure the fuel pump ground is connected, usually a black wire. It'll be the heavier of the 2 black wires if you have 2 at the connector. The other black wire is the ground for the fuel gauge.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.