Fuel pump choice - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2013, 02:39 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Fuel pump choice

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi all, I had my first go at drag racing last weekend and had a ball. Even managed a couple of respectable times Unfortunately my car died 200 meters from home at the end of the day. On closer inspection in turns out my fuel pump had destroyed itself. One magnet had become unstuck in the electric motor and had been rubbing on the armature. The magnets were in pieces and everything smelled real bad from the heat. The pump was one of Holleys newish hp series pumps rated at 150gph. I could just purchase another one the same and put it back in, but am concerned it might do it again. Was this just a bad pump or are these units not that great? If so then what would be a good pump for me to use that won't cost me a small fortune? My engine is a 408 sbc with AFR 195 heads, decent cam etc etc pumping out around 450 horse's. I pull about 6500rpm and the car should be good for some high 12s on the quarter. Do I need the 150 gph pump or could I run something a bit smaller? I drive this car on the street mostly with wife and kids with me so something quiet is definitely required.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2013, 07:08 AM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

I really don't know...but I'm interested to hear what the guys that do know say...that's why I posted. I'm sure you'll set your answer soon...what kind of car is that SBC in?

Ray
Old 02-22-2013, 09:17 AM

contact holley with your concerns,they might give you a replacement at a very good price as a good will gesture.
Are you using a return line in your system? are you using a regulator in your system?Are you using a larger than stock diameter fuel line and pick up?12 second cars are fun to drive,no doubt.
Old 02-22-2013, 09:40 AM

Fuel pump choice.

I have the Holley 12-150 on my 1967 Camaro. Which pump did you have 12-125 or 12-150. The 12-125 is 110 gph @ 7 psi and the 12-150 is 140 gph @ 7 psi with an external regulator. These pumps are gerotor designed for quiet operation. The Holley 12-802-1, 12-801-1, 12-815-1 are all noisy.
Old 02-22-2013, 11:57 AM

Last photo:

Hi Ray, I spoke to a place yesterday that does a lot of race car fuel systems, their gear was a bit of an overkill for my needs, but he did recommend the Mallory 140 for me, said it would be a better pump than the Holley.
Old 02-22-2013, 12:10 PM

Last photo:

Oh sorry Ray, I forgot to say the car is a 67 Holden. It's the same one in my pictures. Not sure what part of the world you are from so you may not know what a Holden is. It's basically like a little 60s Nova.
Old 02-22-2013, 12:15 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Thanks Holden...when it comes to the mechanical side of the hobby I am quickly realizing how little I know. I follow a lot of threads with this regard and it's amazing how much I've picked up. I'm building a car from the ground up for a customer and he has entrusted me to not only have a cosmetically sound vehicle but, a mechanically, as close to bullet proof drive train. The fuel delivery system is one area that is often overlooked and with the evolution of electronics I am now being schooled.

The last engine I built was a Pontiac 428 and that happened few years ago. I'm still proud of it, it dynoed out at 550 HP and 535 ft lb of torque with somewhat respectable street manners. I won't be building the engine until late Summer but I have enlisted a renowned builder in the US to oversee myself doing the actual build and what I'm learning on this site has helped a lot. Fuel delivery was one of the items of my "need more information" list...thanks for the thread.

Ray
Old 02-22-2013, 12:17 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Thanks Holden...when it comes to the mechanical side of the hobby I am quickly realizing how little I know. I follow a lot of threads with this regard and it's amazing how much I've picked up. I'm building a car from the ground up for a customer and he has entrusted me to not only have a cosmetically sound vehicle but, a mechanically, as close to bullet proof drive train. The fuel delivery system is one area that is often overlooked and with the evolution of electronics I am now being schooled.

The last engine I built was a Pontiac 428 and that happened few years ago. I'm still proud of it, it dynoed out at 550 HP and 535 ft lb of torque with somewhat respectable street manners. I won't be building the engine until late Summer but I have enlisted a renowned builder in the US to oversee myself doing the actual build and what I'm learning on this site has helped a lot. Fuel delivery was one of the items of my "need more information" list...thanks for the thread.

Ray
Old 02-22-2013, 12:18 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Sorry guys, every once in a while my computer has a processor fart and double posts...don't know why, just does.

Ray
Old 02-22-2013, 12:22 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Thanks, I'm from Canada, we don't have Holden's here and yes it does look like an early Chevy 11 (Nova)...when I first looked at the picture, I thought it looked like a Rambler American...I'm a big fan of those too.

Ray
Old 02-22-2013, 12:40 PM

Last photo:

To answer the other questions, it is a Holley 12-150 which is advertised as 150gph at 16psi so yes I am running a regulator, but am not running a return line. I have put 3/8 fuel line all the way from tank to carb.
Old 02-22-2013, 12:44 PM

Last photo:

Yeah vinniekq2 I was thinking about going to Holley about it also. I got the pump from summit racing so might go back to them and see what they have to say.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.