fuel pump failed during carb overhaul?! - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2009, 10:30 AM

Last journal entry: Better late than never
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

fuel pump failed during carb overhaul?!

So this is turning out to be one of THOSE weekends.

The engine was missing on acceleration so I rebuilt the carb. Whilst at it I replaced the fuel pump (mechanical) to carb hose with braided hose that included a fuel filter (no filter previously!) and PSI gauge.

The engine now refuses to fire. every once in a while it 'catches' for about half a second but it doesn't sound even close to trying to start.

I primed the carb with an eggcup or so of fuel a couple of times to get it going in the hope it would then pull sufficient fuel through from the pump. No joy...

I removed the hose from the fuel pump and turned the engine over, expecting to see something issue from the pump but nothing?! Even turning the engine for 20-30 seconds produces nothing from the pump. It seems a little too coincidental that the pump has failed on the day I replaced the hosing and rebuilt the carb.

Any ideas on where to go, possibly to grab another pump me thinks. On that subject IF I need a new pump is there any logic to opting for an electric pump instead of a mechanical one? I am running a 440HP 383 with Holley carb.

Thanks,
Paul

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2009, 11:28 AM

Last journal entry: 351W rebuild
Last photo:

Hi Paul,
I prefer an electric pump myself, I've been using them for a lot of years, a pump pushes better then it pulls, so it stands to reason that putting a pump at or near the fuel tank would be the better choice, the last few pumps I have bought have been MSD inline units, I've had zero problems with them.
Rich
Old 02-21-2009, 11:35 AM
Hates: Liver. Loves: Diesel

Last wiki edit: How to find cheap parts
Last journal entry: Found an LQ9 today
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 16

That happens to me almost all the time if the pump is more than a couple years old.

What happens is the diaphragm stays nice and pliable while staying soaked with gasoline. Once you pull the line off the carb and the fuel drains back past the pump, that diaphragm is exposed to air and it cracks.

It has been my experience that fuel pumps nearly always fail in this situation.
Old 02-21-2009, 02:56 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Engine basic condition - how to check Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 26

You may want to check the feed line for the pump as well to see if it is getting fuel. I may have somehow became blocked. Strange things can happen when you disturb lines that have been in place for a while.

Chet
Old 02-21-2009, 05:50 PM

Last journal entry: Better late than never
Last photo:

Well I wish I knew what I fixed but I dont!

I replaced the spark plugs with new ones after leaving them out for an hour in case the engine was flooded. I put opened the fuel pump, put it back together and wired everything back up. Turned the key and it roared to life?! Mystified...

Either way the miss has gone and it revs smoothly. There is still some smoke out of the exhaust but it sounds absolutely beautiful so I doubt there is anything too much wrong with it.

The car sat in a barn in Tipperary Ireland (no, really!) for 6 cold, damp years before I brought it to Florida so it is no surprise that it needs to be driven for a bit to see if everything settles down. The engine has only 14 miles on it so everything is brand new. We shall see what it does after 100 miles on the road.

It has had fresh oil, filter, plugs, carb rebuild,coolant, fuel tank flushed and new fuel and a few other things I cant think of. I wouldn't be surprised if there is something major I HAVE forgotten though!

Thanks for your replies!

Paul
Old 02-22-2009, 10:44 AM

Last journal entry: 351W rebuild
Last photo:

Hi Paul,
Glad you got it fixed.
Good Luck with it,
Rich

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.