Fuel Pump help - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-27-2010, 05:35 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Fuel Pump help

I am adding nitrous to m car. I purchased a larger fuel pump Mallory 250 ( I have a 140 now dead headed) the new pump has a fuel return output on the pump. My plan after talking to many techs was to use my current fuel system delivery and split it up front. Current line from tank to pump and line to front is 8an. Split it before the regulator, add second regulator for nitrous. Ok now here is the issue do I have to use the fuel return line or can I still dead head the pump. My concern is that with the return line connected will the pump flow less gph up front.

Car specs cars best is 11.34@ 117.6mph 1971 LT-1 Stock lower end not bored you know steel crank pink rods trw 11.1 pistons, balanced and all the race mods to crank.

Was told that this setup should support up to 175hp hit of nitrous. I know the fuel return is so the pump returns the excess fuel to the tank but have thoughts that it may take away some needed fuel for the nitrous use.

Any suggestions would be great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2010, 06:05 PM
More for Less Racer

Set-up correctly the bypass only returns to the tank the fuel that isn't used by the carb and nitrous system. We run a bypass on the nitrous side just to make sure there isn't an air bubble in the fuel line to the nitrous solenoid, which can cause a boom . 250 hp shot.
Old 03-28-2010, 04:29 PM

Last photo:

Bypass line

Ok now my fuel cell has 2 fittings on it.... One is supplying the fuel pump the other is capped off and both are at bottom of fuel cell. Can I hook up the bypass to the capped off fitting at bottom of cell, or do i have to add one to the top of the fuel cell?
Old 03-28-2010, 04:36 PM
More for Less Racer

You don't want to put the returned(and possibly slightly aerated/frothed) fuel back into the cell that close to the other outlet/pick-up point. It needs to go back in somewhere away from the outlet, the farther away the better.

Any reason why you didn't just add a second line and another Mallory 140 pump rather than one bigger pump on a single line? A seperate dedicated system for each is a better way to go.
Old 03-28-2010, 07:31 PM

Last photo:

other pump

Well...i have a mallory fuel filter with 2 outlets. Was not sure if i could drive 2 pumps from the same filter..... and thought it would be easier to just use the 1 larger pump and y off of it up front.

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.