Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Fuel Pump Making Loud Noise
View Single Post
Old 08-24-2006, 01:31 PM
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Factory frame pumps are installed inside of a thick foam tube and then inserted into a bracket so there is no metal to metal contact. You can design a bracket by wrapping the thick foam in metal and attaching that tube to the frame bracket using worm hose clamps. Also isolating the pump with rubber lines between the hard lines is necessary. You might also need to insulate the floor/frame panel with some anti-vibration acoustical material to stop harmonic vibrations through the floor pan.

Any electric pump should be AT the tank.

For my 5.0 SFI cars I scarfed my pump bracket from a frame mount Merkur Xr4ti. It is silent. With the pump on, engine not running, you have to get by the rear of the car to tell if the pump is humming. I used the Auto Zone E-2000 pump made by Walbro. It is good for 325 hp. I mount them on a doubler bracket on the trunk hump behind the differential.

Frame mounts are also used on Ford light trucks and vans with dual tanks. Some Fords have an in-tank delivery pump and the pressure pump is mounted on the frame rail. Especially trucks with dual tanks.

Last edited by xntrik; 08-24-2006 at 01:37 PM.