Fuel Pump Making Loud Noise - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-24-2006, 11:47 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Fuel Pump Making Loud Noise

Hey guys,

I just finished the conversion of my 51 Willys Jeepster. I installed a Mustang 5.0 HO drive-train with the 5.0 suspension. Everything went much better than planned. However, my new fuel pump is making a loud noise. I installed a Carter P5000 fuel pump and mounted it under the Passenger seat to the frame. I thought maybe I had a defective pump so I bought a new one and it is just as loud. What could be the problem? If the pump is naturally that loud could I use insulation to help quite the pump? If so what kind of insulation should I use? Thanks in advance for your help.

Dave

Advertisement

Last edited by daveh; 08-25-2006 at 07:49 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2006, 12:23 PM
1.21 giga-watts???!!!!

Welcome to the world of electric fuel pumps! Noisy as h@#&! Try to put a rubber insulation pad of some kind between pump and frame. I keep on preaching this ad-nauseum but if it is not a strip car, put a mechanical fuel pump on it. Good luck.
Old 08-24-2006, 01:26 PM
floppers forever

cool rockin daddy has got it right,some electric pumps are quieter then others but they all make noise.so you have to deside if you can live with it or not.
depending on the shape of the pump i would try insulated band clamps.
Old 08-24-2006, 01:31 PM
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.

Last photo:

Factory frame pumps are installed inside of a thick foam tube and then inserted into a bracket so there is no metal to metal contact. You can design a bracket by wrapping the thick foam in metal and attaching that tube to the frame bracket using worm hose clamps. Also isolating the pump with rubber lines between the hard lines is necessary. You might also need to insulate the floor/frame panel with some anti-vibration acoustical material to stop harmonic vibrations through the floor pan.

Any electric pump should be AT the tank.

For my 5.0 SFI cars I scarfed my pump bracket from a frame mount Merkur Xr4ti. It is silent. With the pump on, engine not running, you have to get by the rear of the car to tell if the pump is humming. I used the Auto Zone E-2000 pump made by Walbro. It is good for 325 hp. I mount them on a doubler bracket on the trunk hump behind the differential.

Frame mounts are also used on Ford light trucks and vans with dual tanks. Some Fords have an in-tank delivery pump and the pressure pump is mounted on the frame rail. Especially trucks with dual tanks.

Last edited by xntrik; 08-24-2006 at 01:37 PM.
Old 08-24-2006, 01:37 PM

Last photo:

Napa used to make a mounting kit.....rubber biscuit with a stud out of each end....works fine. Pump needs to be mounted as low and close to the tank as possible. Make sure you use a good, high capacity filter before the pump.A normal 3/8 inline filter will not get the job done......................don't ask
Old 08-24-2006, 01:50 PM
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzwell
Napa used to make a mounting kit.....rubber biscuit with a stud out of each end....works fine. Pump needs to be mounted as low and close to the tank as possible. Make sure you use a good, high capacity filter before the pump.A normal 3/8 inline filter will not get the job done......................don't ask

I eliminated the sock filter on the inside tank pickup tube. Installed an inline metal 3/8 filter (like a GF-2 but in 3/8) in the suck line, and the stock Ford inline filter on the pressure side using the factory frame bracket also. I use the snap on type factory fuel line fittings everywhere, so the installation is fully factory compatable. The pump is mounted high up behind the differential on the trunk floor doubler brace and is no problem because the original tank's delivery system comes out the top of the tank anyway. It primes perfectly every time.

Never had one minute's trouble in 58,000 miles on one car, or on any car. yet.

I use the original fuel tanks and the only problem I have is that on a maximum effort launch with less than 1/2 tank of fuel the original tank pickup uncovers and I get fuel starvation about 40 feet out of the hole. So when I race, I make sure the tank is full.

Just my experience. Did the first 5.0 SFI conversion back in 92.

www.readershotrods.com
Old 08-24-2006, 02:41 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by xntrik
I eliminated the sock filter on the inside tank pickup tube. Installed an inline metal 3/8 filter (like a GF-2 but in 3/8) in the suck line, and the stock Ford inline filter on the pressure side using the factory frame bracket also. I use the snap on type factory fuel line fittings everywhere, so the installation is fully factory compatable. The pump is mounted high up behind the differential on the trunk floor doubler brace and is no problem because the original tank's delivery system comes out the top of the tank anyway. It primes perfectly every time.

Never had one minute's trouble in 58,000 miles on one car, or on any car. yet.

I use the original fuel tanks and the only problem I have is that on a maximum effort launch with less than 1/2 tank of fuel the original tank pickup uncovers and I get fuel starvation about 40 feet out of the hole. So when I race, I make sure the tank is full.

Just my experience. Did the first 5.0 SFI conversion back in 92.

www.readershotrods.com
whatever works for you....most of those pumps are designed to push, rather than pull fuel.Mine is mounted slightly above mid-tank level, about 18'' away from the tank outlet. Ran into an issue with the small inline filter before the pump recently...put a large inline filter before the pump....problem solved. not right or wrong........i'm just sayin

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.