Hot Rod Forum banner

Fuel pump upside down

11K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  McDeuce 
#1 ·
I have a Holley "red" fuel pump (12-801-1) and need to know if I can mount it upside down. I bought it rebuilt and have no instructions.

Right side up it it would work correctly if the fuel line is on the inside of the driver's side rail, but my fuel line is installed on the inside of the passenger side rail. In order for the flow to go the right way I'll either need to flip it upside down or route some more fuel line all funky.

The reason I ask is that my brother thought he remembered hearing of someone running it upside down and it overheating. I thought this might occur if the bearings in the motor are made for it to only operate right side up.

Also, do I only need to run a rubber mount between the pump and the frame, or should I put some rubber bushings / washers between the bolt heads and the fuel pump mount?

Thanks as always!

#5 ·
Got the final final word straight from a Holley tech: it has to be mounted motor side up.

I decided I'd simply spin the mounting bracket around. However, I have to make sure that the pump portion is below the frame rail because there is a part of the pump that will actually be sticking under the frame rail now that I've spun the mount.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.