Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Fuel related questions
View Single Post
Old 11-15-2012, 08:21 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Thanked 1,013 Times in 849 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vht View Post
On my 72 chevelle it has a 5/16 fuel line. I'm installing a 434, 600 to 650 hp. Don't want a fuel cell and I don't really want to put a sump in the stock tank, would a BB sending unit, 3/8, and a 3/8 line to the front be enough? I was thinking of running the Holley 80 gph pump, mech, that doesn't need a reg. I could run a 1/2 in line but I'd still have the tank issue. What's your ideas on this?
My best guess would be that at 650 hp, you'd be 100 hp over the limit for 3/8" feed line.
Here's the math for fuel required....
0.5 lbs of fuel for each hp hour, so 650 hp will use 325 lbs of fuel or 54 gallons of fuel for each hour of operation. Most pumps are rated at zero restriction, so make certain you have enough pump.

If I were in charge of your operation, I'd run 1/2" feed line and 1/2" return line with a filter on the supply (tank) side of the pump and a regulator close to the carb with another filter. Keep a close eye on the filter at the pump. If it gets clogged, the pump goes south.