fuel sending unit - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2007, 03:21 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

fuel sending unit

i wasn't sure where to put this post so i put it in the basics.

the gas gauge quit working in my 1970 oldsmobile delta 88. I don't believe it is the gauge because it has worked on and off a couple times like once i bottomed out and it worked till i filled it up again, so i thought it was the sending unit and i was wondering if anyone new what other gm models probably have the same sending unit

i went to some of the local parts stores and their books don't go back far enough any info would help

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2007, 04:12 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: 36 Ford painting
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

I'm going to move this to the electrical section, I bet Drvette can help.
Old 07-08-2007, 04:44 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Rebuild an alternator Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

Doc here,

Thanks for the re~Direct, Dan!

TESTING:

Remove the sender wire from the sender.

Turn the key on, and observe the gauge..It should peg full.

Next , Ground the Sender Wire, observe the gauge..It should peg Empty.

IF you have this, the gauge and wire are whole and operating properly.If you get no movement from the gauge, Either the instruments Fuse is open, OR the sender wire is cut..hand over hand inspect the wire..If those are good the gauge is defective.

If , when (the above checks good) you reconnect to the sender, It does not work, run a jumper wire from the sender body in the fuel egress door, to a good , hard ground.Check gauge again, If that fixes it..install a proper , well bonded ground in it's place..(This is the most common problem).

IF none of those tests correct the problem, the float may be fuel logged, (small hole it it) OR the rheostat may be intermittent..Either will require dropping the tank, and replacing the float..While you are doing that..replace the fuel line pickup sock..It will save you the hassle of doing it later when it plugs up, and quits running..(and if it's stock..It's about due..)

Auto ZOne has them..you can order in person or online, here is their PN And catalog listing:

Auto Zombies

Doc

Last edited by docvette; 07-08-2007 at 04:50 PM.
Old 07-08-2007, 08:25 PM
Last photo:

The float fuel logged has bit me more than once. On my sons Ranger his fuel gauge was acting goofy. When it was full it would eventually go to empty after a few hours. As the fuel was used up it would start to climb. We had decided to replace the fuel sending unit one weekend. Of course he had just filled the tank up . After crawling under the truck to check out the difficulty level I determined it would be much easier to remove the bed rather than dropping the tank. Withing 30 minutes we had the bed sitting in the driveway. I had already checked with the local parts houses for availability, sorry Ford dealer item. Ford wanted $160 for the unit . After removing it I hooked it back up to manually work the sending unit. It worked properly, but I kept noticing fuel dripping from it. After a closer inspection and removing the snap on copper float I determined it was full of fuel. It had a hairline crack around a solder end joint. Called Ford to see if the float only was available....yes it was, for about $3.00. We were elated, that was one of the cheapest repairs I have ever made.

Vince
Old 07-08-2007, 09:27 PM

Last photo:

302 you sure hit a sore spot with me on that Ranger float, I am not making this up! In the last 4 years I have replaced two of those dang things in my Ranger, one in my son's Ranger and one in my neighbor's Ranger and I will take an oath on this-my ranger needs another one now! When I asked the man at the parts counter if this was a common problem he just laughed and said "no comment" so I assume from that and what I have seen it is very common on ford floats, at least on the small trucks. I am going to try and find a composite type float that will fit this time.
Old 07-09-2007, 05:55 AM
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldred
302 you sure hit a sore spot with me on that Ranger float, I am not making this up! In the last 4 years I have replaced two of those dang things in my Ranger, one in my son's Ranger and one in my neighbor's Ranger and I will take an oath on this-my ranger needs another one now! When I asked the man at the parts counter if this was a common problem he just laughed and said "no comment" so I assume from that and what I have seen it is very common on ford floats, at least on the small trucks. I am going to try and find a composite type float that will fit this time.
Must be something to it .
Vince
Old 07-09-2007, 06:34 PM

thanks for the info all i am going to get atr that soon

it sticks on full and has worked i believe twice since it stopped working so... I tried cleaning the ground once but it didn't fix it of coarse

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.