fuel sending unit - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2010, 03:31 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

fuel sending unit

hoping someone can point me in the right direction......i am in need of a new sending unit for my 82 camaro cause when i fill up my tank to the tippy top somedays my gauge reads 1/2 full sometimes its 3/4 th full once in a blue moon it reads full.... so after calling autozone and advance and even the chevy dealership all saying the part has been discontinued.

so my question is does anyone know of a place or a website that i can find one....may a rebuild kit for one thanks in advance for the help..... i have searched the internet as much as possible and only came up with universal fit ones

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2010, 07:09 AM

anybody???
Old 03-07-2010, 07:25 AM

Last journal entry: 50 Ply wagon
Last photo:

try going to Autometer.....they carry sending units for their gauges and may have one you can use.
Old 03-07-2010, 07:54 AM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:

Did you try Rock Valley ??? http://www.rockvalleyantiqueautoparts.com/products.htm
Old 03-07-2010, 12:52 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

I generally use eGauges for anything aftermarket. While you might not have aftermarket gauges, a 0-30 or 0-90 ohm sender should work from here

http://www.egauges.com/vdo_sgrp.asp?...p=Fuel_Senders.

Heres the Year 1 cat page as well

http://www.yearone.com/pco/8_0609/full.asp?page=242

Dave W
Old 03-07-2010, 08:37 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Have you checked the gage wiring back at the tank? It might be a bad ground, etc.
Old 03-08-2010, 06:01 AM

these are good leads guys thanks....i havent checked the wiring cobalt i always thought if it had a bad ground it would read full all the time of empty all the time
Old 03-08-2010, 06:12 AM
WFO

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by untchable502
these are good leads guys thanks....i havent checked the wiring cobalt i always thought if it had a bad ground it would read full all the time of empty all the time
You are correct that it would likely be pegged one way or the other. It's just that fuel level senders don't usually fail.

Whether a poor connection of any type would cause your symptoms I don't know. Wouldn't hurt to disconnect, clean and reconnect to see if there was a change- before removing the pump assembly to change out the sender (if that's the drill).

If the tank has gone dry several times from being left to sit for an extended time, there could be varnish built up on the resistor coil. If there is a noticeable amount, it will clean off w/acetone and a q-tip.

Often, a sender can have the arm bent from attempting to siphon gas from the tank. If that's the case, carefully bending it back could let it work again.

But if your budget can handle it, a nice, new sender might be the better choice. Just know the replacement might not be as good as the OE piece. "Made in China" prevails on these parts, it seems.
Old 03-08-2010, 08:01 AM

thanks for that info cobalt......i was more curious that maybe the float has soaked up some gas in it.....i havent dropped the tank yet to see what kind of float is in it i know some of those old plastic ones use to break down alittle and soak up gas
Old 03-08-2010, 10:27 AM
WFO

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by untchable502
thanks for that info cobalt......i was more curious that maybe the float has soaked up some gas in it.....i havent dropped the tank yet to see what kind of float is in it i know some of those old plastic ones use to break down alittle and soak up gas
That's a possibility...

The sender is VERY simple, so at least you will be able to see and test it w/a meter easily. I don't know what the ohms are for the resistor, but you'll be wanting to see if the arm has full deflection and that the resistor and the contact on the float are touching as they should be.

If it WERE the float, what do you suppose could be used to replace it?

Anyone??
Old 03-08-2010, 11:02 AM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

I`ll tell you what happened to me some years ago. 86 olds cutlass supreme 2 door. I converted it from a idiot light to a rallye pak gauge cluster. After about a year of using the rallye pak, the fuel gauge starting acting erratic. So I broke out the tester and started doing tests according to a web site I found. After doing my checks it said the gauge was fine but the sending unit was bad. I replaced the sending unit, the problem persisted. I did the checks over and it said the sending unit was still bad. I decided then to replace the gauge, so I looked online and found some GM dealers in the states still carried them but they were over $100 a pop. I looked online and found a company that made some electronic pieces that fit on the back of the stock gauge that corrects it for 5 bucks each. I ordered one for each gauge and the problem was solved. Next I removed the new sending unit and kept it in a box and reinstalled the old one, since the parts store wouldn`t take it back I thought I may as well run the old one until it`s bad. So this is just to show it`s not often sending units go bad and even so my tests with the voltmeter showed the unit was bad it was in fact the gauge. The sending unit cost me over $100, the fix for the gauges $20 so I spent over $100 for nothing.
Old 03-08-2010, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt327
That's a possibility...

The sender is VERY simple, so at least you will be able to see and test it w/a meter easily. I don't know what the ohms are for the resistor, but you'll be wanting to see if the arm has full deflection and that the resistor and the contact on the float are touching as they should be.

If it WERE the float, what do you suppose could be used to replace it?

Anyone??

if it was a plastic one i suppose you could get a brass one.....would you reckon a new gauge would solve the problem doublevision???
Old 03-08-2010, 01:34 PM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

It`s certainly worth a try to test it and see what conclusion you come up with but keep in mind, the test may not be right but this may give you more insight to the issue. You have to consider, 1982 was a long time ago, many years and many miles for a car and gauges certainly go bad also.
http://www.thingtech.com/fuelgauge.html

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.