fuel and spark but no start - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-21-2010, 08:33 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

fuel and spark but no start

Hey guys heres an update:

My car will not start, timing is right, ive verified that im getting spark to each plug, im getting fuel, but the car will not start or even try. Even if i advance the distributor way to much there is no kickback. Ive tried multiple coils. I was told to get new spark plugs, but still the same problem. Someone told me that the igntion control module could be bad and that he had the same problem, he got spark, but it was very weak and the compression would knock out the flame before it could fire. Does this sound likely?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2010, 09:15 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

distributor cap might be cross tracking
Old 05-21-2010, 09:19 PM
1976 Ranchero GT

Last journal entry: Almost time for the first drive!
Last photo:

Old gas won't burn well.. Did you try a shot of starting fluid to see if it would pop over?
Old 05-21-2010, 09:24 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by weirdbeard
Old gas won't burn well.. Did you try a shot of starting fluid to see if it would pop over?
Yep, i opened the throttle blades all the way and sprayed some in the intake manifold. It just sputter for second then still nothing... and the gas is less than a month old. The distributor cap is brand new and still looks it inside and out, the rotor, coil, cap is all new.
Old 05-22-2010, 04:11 AM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Thanked 1,153 Times in 952 Posts
Have you had the distributor out of the motor since the last time the motor ran?
Old 05-22-2010, 02:19 PM

Last photo:

just started to work on it again to try and get this thing running. I took the distributor out and once again dropped it in with the rotor pointing to #1 at TDC. Like i said i AM getting spark, so now i have spark and fuel but still no start. I know i have compression, i wouldnt just loose compression in all cylinders over night...

When i took the plugs out, they were wet from trying to start it so much so fuel is definetely getting to the plug. Ive verified that im getting 11.87 volts to the input going to the distributor. Im pretty sure this is an ignition issue, but im extremely confused. I guess the spark could be weak and the high compression is knocking the spark out?

Ive tried multipile coils and same issue, spark, but no start. Any recommendations?
Old 05-22-2010, 08:17 PM
http://www.warsprints.com

Last journal entry: W.A.R. (Wingless Auto Racing) Sprint Car Racing
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stroker444
just started to work on it again to try and get this thing running. I took the distributor out and once again dropped it in with the rotor pointing to #1 at TDC. Like i said i AM getting spark, so now i have spark and fuel but still no start. I know i have compression, i wouldnt just loose compression in all cylinders over night...

When i took the plugs out, they were wet from trying to start it so much so fuel is definetely getting to the plug. Ive verified that im getting 11.87 volts to the input going to the distributor. Im pretty sure this is an ignition issue, but im extremely confused. I guess the spark could be weak and the high compression is knocking the spark out?

Ive tried multipile coils and same issue, spark, but no start. Any recommendations?
IF you have the timing correct and IF you have fuel and IF you have spark, along with compression and it being wired correctly, it has to start. Now, with that said, you can have fuel, spark and compression but if you don't have them at the correct time, it won't start regardless. I would bet that you do not have the timing set correctly. Tell us exactly how you are setting your distributor and timing, step by step along with the firing order you are using. That will tell us if you are doing it correctly or not.

Last edited by S10 Racer; 05-22-2010 at 08:41 PM.
Old 05-22-2010, 09:07 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by S10 Racer
IF you have the timing correct and IF you have fuel and IF you have spark, it has to start. Now, with that said, you can have fuel and spark both but if you don't have them at the correct time, it won't start regardless. I would bet that you do not have the timing set correctly. You need to check it again. Tell us exactly how you are setting your distributor and timing, step by step. That will tell us if you are doing it correctly or not.
Alrighty i can do that.

1. Take the drivers side valve cover off and turn the engine over manualy until the mark on the balancer is close to the mark on the timing cover. If you see the #1 valves moving, then the engine is on #6. They werent moving, so i continued until the 2 marks were perfectly insync.

2. First i verified that all the plug wires were going in the right order to the right plug. It was good and ive checked it at least 3 times. Next stab the distributor in and the rotor was pointing at #1 on the cap and made sure it goes all the way in. Now thats done.

3. tighten the lock down so the distributor dosent move while cranking but can still be turned with a little force.. thats done.

4. Crank.. no start. Move distributer to advance.. no start. Move it and advance it WAAYY to much.. not even a kickback. Pulled spark plugs all are wet. Grounded it to the header and watched #1 spark and did the same for others. Will not run.
Old 05-22-2010, 10:01 PM

Last photo:

Just tried again.. at this point my battery is about to go dead. But i took the #1 plug out and grounded it to the header. I removed the coil thats in it now and installed an older accel coil that i thought quit working because my car wouldnt make a spark until i installed a different coil months ago. But anyway i installed it and sure enough i got a nice strong white/blue spark. So next i reinstalled the plug again and still wouldnt start or even try. I moved the distributor every which way and nothing..

My car has been on empty since it stopped running a few weeks ago could this have any effect on it? I mean it should at least try when i spary starting fluid in the manifold right? The carb is full of gas, but my guage is on the E now. Ive turned the fuel pump off, i dont want to burn it up. If it would just sputter id be getting a few gallons and put it in the car but i dont have money to waste right now if its not going to start. So confused right now..
Old 05-22-2010, 10:58 PM

Hmm? Did you by any chance work on the distributer? It sounds like your rotor might not be spinning correctly.

TRY THIS:

Take off cap and ask a friend to crank the sucker, and see if it spins freely with out any problems.

If it looks like its sticking you could have your cam traveling or distributer gear upside down, or gears worn out badly.

Now if rotor is spinnig correctly then we must have too much fuel getting dumped into the engine. A pro once told me even if you got thick blue spark in the sucker and way tooo much fuel you won't be getting it to start.
Old 05-22-2010, 11:03 PM
http://www.warsprints.com

Last journal entry: W.A.R. (Wingless Auto Racing) Sprint Car Racing
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stroker444
Alrighty i can do that.

1. Take the drivers side valve cover off and turn the engine over manualy until the mark on the balancer is close to the mark on the timing cover. If you see the #1 valves moving, then the engine is on #6. They werent moving, so i continued until the 2 marks were perfectly insync.

2. First i verified that all the plug wires were going in the right order to the right plug. It was good and ive checked it at least 3 times. Next stab the distributor in and the rotor was pointing at #1 on the cap and made sure it goes all the way in. Now thats done.

3. tighten the lock down so the distributor dosent move while cranking but can still be turned with a little force.. thats done.

4. Crank.. no start. Move distributer to advance.. no start. Move it and advance it WAAYY to much.. not even a kickback. Pulled spark plugs all are wet. Grounded it to the header and watched #1 spark and did the same for others. Will not run.
Heres the way I do it.
1. Remove all plugs. Put your finger over the #1 plug hole (front one on driver side). Turn the engine over using a breaker bar and socket on the crank pulley bolt. Turn it clockwise until you can feel pressure on your finger. Continue to turn it until you feel no more pressure. Verify that when the pressure stops, that the timing mark lined up.
2. Install the distributor with the rotor pointing at about 5:00. That will be #1.
3. Starting with #1 and working clockwise, wire the distributor for the firing order 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2. The plug locations on the driver side are 1-3-5-7 (starting at the front plug). The plug locations on the passenger side are 2-4-6-8 (starting at the front plug).
4. Snug up the distributor and give it a whirl. Adjust the distributor a small amount each time until you get it to start.

Hope this helps
Old 05-22-2010, 11:27 PM

Are you maybe 180* out on distributor? Maybe you are getting spark after the gas leaves the chamber? I usually pull #1 plug and put thumb over the hole. Then turn engine over until you feel the strong compression blow your thumb off the hole. Then line the timing marks up. The exhaust stroke will also blow out compression but it will be significantly less than the compression stroke.
Old 05-23-2010, 03:17 AM

Last photo:

Good news guys! I took the distributor apart and cleaned everything, removed all plugs and wires and took the driver side valve cover off. I seen that the #1 valves were moving when the mark was getting close so it was on #6 fire, so i just took a screwdriver and turned the oil pump shaft to point the rotor to #6. Installed everything and nothing...

Then i retarded it some and it fired right up, sputtered and died! But thats to be expected. My battery is barely turning the starter and im so low on gas that i just turned my pump off not to burn it up! Im sure ill have it running as soon as i put the battery on trickle charge and get some good ole 93 octane!!! Im not sure what was wrong, but who cares?? Its close to being back on the road again! Im sure ill be back tomorrow with another question, but i appreciate all the help you guys give me, id be so lost without yall.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.