fuel system parameters- I wanna finish this tonight! - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2009, 08:33 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

fuel system parameters- I wanna finish this tonight!

Im setting up my fuel system, '68 El Camino. Using -8 braided line and compression fittings.

I have the plumbing schematic that came in the instructions for the Holley Blue pump (12-802-1) and they make sense. I'm going to be smart and have a return line, route everything away from heat, road, and chassis, not use teflon tape on fittings, etc.

heres my 4 questions

I have an RCI fuel cell, no foam, no sump, Is it ok to have the outlet facing forward towards the front of the car? my feeling is no?

All the fuel line I have is Summit brand -8 AN. I thought Ive read on here that A portion of the setup should be the next size up? I think between the fuel cell and pump? or is my 30 feet of -8 got me covered?

finally, the pressure regulator that comes with the 12-802-1 pump, Ive come to find, is called a Non bypass regulator, So I have to buy a new reg. to have a return line? There is the "in" port on the bottom, then two (2) different "out" ports on the sides, I only need one of them for the carb. Can I not use the other one for the return line? I know from the looks of it I should just get the bypass style reg, just dont wanna wonder if theres something I overlooked...

The fuel pump will live longer and work better if I keep the lines as short as realistically possible from the cell to the filter and from filter to the pump, NO? For the parts I have, what do you guys think is the longest it could be without problems?

Right now im sitting at 34 to 34 1/2 inches of line from cell to inline-filter, and 36 inches of line from filter to pump. sound good?

Any time spent is hugely appreciated, I'm 23 and this car is no doubt the hugest material accomplishment of my life. IE if somethings wrong I never think twice to tear it down..so let me know and thank you.

Last edited by Jeff The Ruler; 11-10-2009 at 08:39 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2009, 09:00 PM
More for Less Racer

With no built-in sump you will have to drill outlets yourself in the lower rear of the cell, they sell specific AN fittings for this. Return line should come back to the front or top of the cell, away from the outlets in the rear.

Holley Blue pump can run deadheaded for years, you can run it that way with the supplied regulator if it meets your fuel delivery requirements. You will have to buy a different regulator to run it as a bypass system.

Filter 3' away and pump another 3' from the sump is too far for the pump to be asked to draw, it may give you problems if the car is fast enough. Pump and filter should be both within the first 2-3' from the sump, ideally mounted behind and slightly below the cell outlets so that gravity and acceleration forces work for you, and should be fed with -10 line if you are using -8 from the pump to the engine.

Where does the outlet from the cell come from now?? Out of the top, with an internal pick-up??
Old 11-11-2009, 12:30 AM

The cell's outlet is a threaded nipple about 1" above the base/bottom.

After I posted this i got it worked out. filter and pump are in the first 2 ft. of hose, are both lower than the cell, and are both further back than the cell. I have the line running from the front of the fuel cell and then bends back (not too sharp) to get to the pump, and I understand this is not optimal but wont cause problems either? Also noted I need to buy some -10 line and take tonights work apart and sub in the right size hose. Thanks Ericnova.
Old 11-11-2009, 02:39 AM
More for Less Racer

Just to clarify, the fuel fitting leading out to the filter/pump can't be in the front of the cell unless it is connected to a pick-up tube that leads to the rear inside the cell. If it is just an open fitting then you will need to turn the cell around to face to the rear.

Just visualize what the fuel will be doing in the cell while under hard acceleration... it will rush to the rear of the cell. You want to work with that tendency, use it to feed the filter and pump.

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.