Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Fuel Tank Installation Plumbing Questions
View Single Post
Old 01-02-2004, 12:58 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Fuel Tank Installation Plumbing Questions

I have a '28 Ford rat rod that came with a small fuel tank in the trunk (10 gal). I drive a lot and fueling up every 200 miles became a drag real fast. I debated installing a larger tank, but when it came to cost, it was way less expensive to install a secondary tank (I had room in the trunk).

I am about to install the second tank (11 gal). I'm going to run a line from that tank to a T. The original fuel tank will also go to the T. The T will, of course, exit to the main fuel line to the engine. I do not want to install a second fuel gauge sender (the one works fine on the original tank).

I've talked to several people and I am receiving conflicting information regarding the position/placement of the second tank for the above configuration to work. Some have said the tanks have got to be parallel with the bottom halves of each tank (where the fuel exits the tank) to be level with each other, otherwise air will get into the system. Others have said that the fill tubes have to be approximately the same height or fuel will attempt to run from one tank to another, causing fueling problems. Still others are concerned about venting (both tanks come with a vented fuel cap) and the impact on both fueling and air. My fuel pump is mechanical.

Has anyone set up a system similar to what I suggest? That is, just running to fuel lines to a standard T so fuel is drawn equally from both tanks. Am I missing anything? Something I need to know before proceeding? Any help would be appreciated.