Hot Rod Forum banner

fuel tank question

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Siggy_Freud 
#1 ·
i was reading the how to get rust out thread.. made me think.. how big is my tank. i did some research on new tanks for my 1971 el camino. they are saying the new tanks are 20 gallons. now, my fuel gauge reads just above a quarter tank after fill up. (bad sending unit right?????). the most i have ever put in this car is 13 gallons and that is when it is below the empty line.... i was trying to find stock specs on my fuel tank size.. is it 20 gallons like the repro? i measured mine and it comes close to what they have listed. If this thread fails i am going to go out and drive my car till it dies. then pour in a gallon and fill er up... i kinda don't want to do that so if you know the specs on a stock fuel tank for a 71 el camino please let me know. thanks.

#2 ·
:D

I had a 1970 SS 454 El Camino................black LS6

I do remember putting a LOT of gas in it :D but not the number of gallons at one time. Gas was cheap (40 cents a gallon) and the big 454 450 horse engine drank it up.

When you drop the tank to replace the sending unit......fill it up with water then.........to get a number on the gallons held.

:)

#3 ·
Fill it up and then siphon it out into a 5 gallon container . . . 5 gallons at a time.

Or just fill it from a known quantity that is indoubtably larger than the tank. Once your tank is full measure how much from the original quantity is left.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.