Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Fuel in vacuum modulator line
View Single Post
Old 06-23-2011, 05:15 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Hi Dave,

Actually had the two pieces apart when the millwork was done, and like yours, you can see pretty well in there. Didn't try a mirror though - good idea. I almost fell like running an extra bead of silicone from the inside just for some extra insurance. I know it won't hold up to continued exposure to fuel, but anything would be better than the situation I'm having now. Since the leak is always on the bottom, that would be pretty easy to apply.

I will be curious the next time the carbs come off as to which side or which ports are leaking. It will be easy to tell from the top.

One difficulty I'm having is finding the gaskets on my old Weiand ram. My local speed shop ordered them over a month ago after the confirmed the pattern, but nothing back yet. I used a little silicone to seal up a couple of small gaps that came about from the original brittle material breaking off. I don't really want to separate the two pieces again until I have the new gaskets in hand. The odd shape of them don't make fabricating a new set an easy task.

Saturday is the Barrett-Jackson auction in Costa Mesa, so will have my car on display there, and then Sunday I will have time to play with getting the secondaries working (removing the balls in each chamber to see what that will do. I just want them to open too much, and then work backwards to adjust them. No luck so far with even the lightest spring in there. Just a little movement.

Was somewhat thinking about taking my carbs down to 450's. I see the Holley's with no choke, mechanical secondaries, etc. that seem like an interesting option.

http://www.jegs.com/i/Holley/510/0-9776/10002/-1

It looks like they have a metering plate instead of a block, and hopefully I can pull those off my existing 600's along with the longer transfer tube, and bolts to make it a simple swap. Not too excited about the gold color, but I think I can polish them to silver and match my existing carbs. I also don't think they operate like a true double pumper - no second accelerator pump - at least not that I can see. It just may be simpler to go this direction instead of tangling with the vacuum secondaries. I don't need a choke in my climate.

Ever see these carbs before?