fulie 302 swap - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-19-2002, 08:24 AM
Hellbilly Hotrods

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Post fulie 302 swap

im working on a 54 ford F-250 for a friend of mine. the things all origonal, except for the flatbed and interior. since this is his work/play truck, as well as his daily driver, he wants to swap in a fuel injected 302. the hang up is, that he wants to keep the factory 3 on the tree. is there an adaptor to ate the tranny with the engine? will the tranny hold up? also, since this will be my first fuel injected swap, what do i need to scavange from the donor vehicle (a late 80's e-250 van). were planning on using a painless wiring harness, as well as upgrading the rest of the truck to 12 volt.
theres a few misc questions:
what kind of flywheel should i use?
what motor mounts should i use?
anything else to consider that i havent thought of?
thanks guys.
mike

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2002, 08:57 AM
aka Duke of URL

Last wiki edit: Finding vacuum leaks Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Thumbs up

Is the donor engine a twin throttle valve speed density controlled engine? If so, you need all of the engine sensors and the ECM. I would pull the complete engine control harness with it just in case. The trouble with speed density is you cannot make major changes to the engine without a new chip. I would talk with the folks at FORD Racing before I bought the Painless harness. You might decide to pull the intake manifolds off a Mustang or Bird and go to MAF.

As for the trans, I would try to find an early/mid-sixties 3.03 3/S (synchro first gear) if he wants to retain the column shifter. Might as well find a 9" also and do it right. The 3.03 is the same appearance as the F/4/S Top Loader and can take the abuse. Then you would be able to use a regular bell housing and production flywheel.

The insulators should go right to the frame mounts (it was a Y-Block, right?). The only other thing I would be concerned about is having the fuel tank modified for an in-tank pump (rail mounts are available) and the proper cooling package.

Should be a clean swap.

[ September 19, 2002: Message edited by: KULTULZ ]</p>
Old 09-19-2002, 10:10 AM
Hellbilly Hotrods

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

ok....
it was a straight six. (they worth anything? itll help offset the cost...)
the reason for trying to keep the origonal tranny is so we dont have to fab up clutch linkage, shift linkage, that type of thing. that, and its like new.
how do i tell the difference in the type of sensor, either MAF or speed desity?
also, for what he does, the engine will remain pretty much stock. also, the rear is already a 4.56 i a dana case, so we shouldnt have any durability issues.
could we use a rail mounted sucker type pump to fuel it, or do we have to do in tank?
what cooling should suffice on this? well have dual shrouded electric fans, but thats as far as ive gotten...
thanks again.
mike

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.