Full body restoration. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2008, 09:18 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Full body restoration.

I have recently bought a 1969 chevy stepside, a truck I have wanted since I was a kid. I dont mind doing the mechanical work myself, but body work is an art and I would never be happy with my own results.
1. Is there any advise you can give me for hunting down someone that does decent work for decent pay...
2. How long should a frame off body resto take? (roughly I know there are always issues)
3. Any idea what ballpark Im looking at spending?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2008, 09:27 AM
31 five window

Last journal entry: Master cylinder
Last photo:

First go to local shows and ask around about others experience with local or nearby shops and see what they say.Second,I saw an article in HOTROD a while back and they said figure out how long it will take and how much it will cost then double those figures and you should be close.I have found this to be pretty accurate.Good Luck.
Old 03-26-2008, 02:01 PM

Last photo:

What you are talking about will take a deep wallets if you are planning to pay somebody to do it. Your best bet is to try and do as much as you are comfortable with then go the shows and ask around and meet people in the business of paint and body who will help you and see if you can start your body work with their help. To farm out a full paint job(take apart and prep,body work/metal work) depending on how much is there can go as high as 10 grand and higher. But if you do most of the work and can get somebody to coach you and then pull the trigger for you may only be out a only few grand. I did this with a friend on his 68 camaro. It worked out great and he learned a few thing too. Tim
Old 03-26-2008, 04:29 PM
Will I ever get it done?

Last journal entry: Spray Booth
Last photo:

Depending on what needs to be fixed, sometimes it may be cheaper to replace.

http://www.lmctruck.com/features/cb/CB_3.htm
Old 03-26-2008, 06:06 PM

Last wiki edit: How to title a hot rod Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Also there are cheaper places than LMC. DAR collision parts is one.

Shane
Old 03-26-2008, 09:07 PM
Hot rods are still the king

Last photo:

1- Look at past work and not pics but real cars
2- Depending on what has to be done you are looking at 300-450 hours
3- It is hard to say what the final tab would be but we are at $50.00 per hour so at 400 hours thats $20000.00 plus parts and materials
Old 03-28-2008, 07:56 PM

Prepare for a major hemorrage of cash to do the paint and bodywok on your truck. trucks are alot of work to get right, the bed alone is a ton of labor, I have done sveral of these trucks and currently own a 67 Suburban. The thing is if you are handy you can do alot of the grunt work to save money, I would try to find someone who has done a truck or two so they can honestly let you know what it will take to get it done. As far as time goes that all depends on the condition of your exsisting truck and what you want to see in the end. 5,000 for a low end driver to 25000 for a show quality trailer queen.
Dont get all your nice mechanicals in place and take it to a paint shop though, you will have overspray on everything and they will have to dissassemble alot of your work. Restoration/car building has a sequence, think it through to save yourself frustration, money and time. Find out where all the local old car shops and builders are and spend some time there to get a feel for what goes into a paint job, most guys are proud to show you what they can do or have done.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.