Full hydraulic steering (No Column) - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2007, 03:46 PM
Change is Opportunity!

Last journal entry: ( Chop Um-Up ) 1947 Plymouth Sedan Chop
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_padavano
I think you can see from the responses above that all the applications for a full hydraulic system are LOW SPEED (ag tractors, rock crawlers, etc.). That's for a reason.
I promise to drive slow.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2007, 04:17 PM

Last journal entry: 32 Ford cabriolet conversion/windshield
Last photo:

This is one about the same age. I forgot to mention that there were no hydraulics for anything on this grader. It was a bunch of gearboxes mounted for each place that would be a hydraulic ram on a newer one.

There were shafts going all over and spinning away. The one in this pic has no hyds, just levers to kick the boxes into gear.

This machine was driven on roads to get to the state forests to grade. Plus the International & Deere loaders with that hyd steering were used on roads too. Top speed was 30-ish because they start bouncing on the unsprung tires.

That grader operator came back white as a ghost one day. It got bouncing so bad that one pair of rear wheels (which are mounted on box that pivots) flipped end over end ! We doubted what he said but the oil drain plugs on the side box were on top! The guys used a 644 Deere loader to lift it high enough to flip it back,,,,like 5 feet up!
Old 07-02-2007, 04:36 PM

Last journal entry: Dash Mock-up
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_padavano
I think you can see from the responses above that all the applications for a full hydraulic system are LOW SPEED (ag tractors, rock crawlers, etc.). That's for a reason.

Oh Yeah? Well, not all big Equipment is slow!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mp03_ZE-JiU
Old 07-02-2007, 06:05 PM
Envirominded hotrodder

Last journal entry: Stupid broken leg
Last photo:

If crippled people can drive e-250 vans with joy sticks, you can drive a full hydraulic steer hot rod. A hydro hose blowing is no more likely than a ball joint popping out, or a tie rod cracking. Go for it!
Old 07-02-2007, 06:39 PM

Last photo:

Don't have any experience on street systems and I have some doubts about that, but On the systems I have seen on rock trucks and such they all had electric back-up systems with a separate electrically driven pump in case the main engine driven system failed. These systems are quite reliable and if one cylinder fails due to a blown hose, etc the the other will usually maintain some control until the thing can be stopped.
Old 07-02-2007, 08:05 PM

Last wiki edit: How to title a hot rod Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazin72
That's why they use double master cylinders...
So do I but i was revering to a hydraulic line rupture of a common kind
Shane
Old 07-03-2007, 02:51 PM

Last photo:

Someone mentioned before about it not being legal...that's the case here in Ca., you have to have mechanical linkage throughout for the steering.

Check you laws before you proceed, be a shame to spend time and money, then have to do it over again.
Old 07-03-2007, 04:16 PM
Glad To Be Here

Last photo:

Reknown custom car hot rod builder, George Barris; built the Golden Sahara (highly customized Lincoln) in the late 1950's. I believe it had hydraulic steering. It was a single stick steering and was also remote controlled. Show car only. I don't believe it was ever driven on the street.
Old 07-03-2007, 05:35 PM
Change is Opportunity!

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frisco
Reknown custom car hot rod builder, George Barris; built the Golden Sahara (highly customized Lincoln) in the late 1950's. I believe it had hydraulic steering. It was a single stick steering and was also remote controlled. Show car only. I don't believe it was ever driven on the street.
Ive been told that BMW has one of their cars out with no column link to the box? Any Beemer fans that can prove or disprove this? Ive herd it from a couple different people at different times? Kind of a fly by wire concept I guess.
Old 07-03-2007, 05:59 PM

Last wiki edit: How to title a hot rod Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

come to think of it that drive by wire crap doesnt have mechanical linkage either does it? if not seems like a double standard

Shane
Old 07-03-2007, 06:56 PM
Change is Opportunity!

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevrolet4x4s
come to think of it that drive by wire crap doesnt have mechanical linkage either does it? if not seems like a double standard

Shane
was kinda my way of thinking! Is it legal or not? Maybe, maybe not.
Old 03-31-2013, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal Twister View Post
I want to run full Hydraulic steering on a project I am going to start soon. Has anybody here used full Hyd. steering on a street car? I know with the crawlers it works great. Id run it through a cooler and filter for obvious reasons. Its safe as far as working without power. Any pros or cons? I imagine it might feel a little weired not having a column but im sure I can get used to that. I have heard that some BMW's are going that way? Thanks
did you get any information on your inquire about hydralic steering?
Old 04-02-2013, 06:02 PM

Hydro Boost

Just installed a Hydro boost unit on my 52 Chevy wagon. Had a dual 7" vacc booster mounted. I have 4 wheel desk brakes and the vacc boost just wasn't working for the car. Went with a Chevy Astro Van Hydro boost that run's off of the power steering pump. My brakes are like night and day now.
Old 04-10-2013, 06:32 PM

Full hydraulic steering.

Please let us know when you plan to drive your full hydraulic steered vehicle on the street. I would like to stay home that day. Point is, do you really want to drive this on the street with other motorists? Hydraulics are very reliable but I would not want to trust my life (or anybody's) with hydraulic steering. It sounds good in theory, but only on a slow speed vehicle, thats not on a public roadway.
Old 04-10-2013, 07:08 PM

Full hydraulic steering

that is why I was asking I have gotten a lot of advise on the subject most of it much like yours. So I have decided to look for a different solution to my problem. most of the responses thought the response would be to slow and depending on road conditions less than ideal as to steady control (wobble) Thanks for your help

Ken

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.