Hot Rod Forum banner

Full Manual Valve Body TH-400

4K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  Crosley 
#1 ·
Hello,

I freshened up my Chevelles TH-400 trans and also upgraded with a new Darryl Youngs racing full manual reverse valve body. This v.b. does away with the governer and any automatic features. After I got it in...It shifts ok but nothing like the super neck snapping hard shifts I was expecting. I had previously already added a few of my own tricks like leaving out one of the center support rings so both direct chambers would be pressurized and plugged the hole in the case near the front pump so the trans wouldn't lock up in reverse, extra forward & direct clutches etc. Would some of the hi-po builders out there think maybe my previous trick may not be letting the valve body work correctly? It does have a 4800 8" converter which takes some shift out but still doesn't shift near as well as I was expecting. I just wanted to step and and shut the door and be able to honesty say "That 400 shifts like Hell!".. Any suggestions on what might be wrong?

Thanks,
Bry
turbo@esn.net

#2 ·
I am confused since the the hole that needs to be plugged when the sealing ring from the center support or middle lip seal is removed from the direct clutch drum is NOT near the pump. It is next to the 12 point bolt that threads into the center section.

I am not sure what you plugged unless it was the reverse boost feed passage that is at the front corner of the valve body area.

#3 ·
Crosley,

Your right.... Its the hole to right of the center support bolt and was plugged with a 3/8 inch pipe plug. I think I was thinking of a TH 350 trick where you plug a hole in the case by the pump. Do you think that might not let the manual valve body work right for some reason?

Thanks

#4 ·
Chezelle said:
Crosley,

Do you think that might not let the manual valve body work right for some reason?

Thanks

=============== Nope. most reverse valve bodies dual feed the direct clutch. I am NOT familar with Darrel Young products so I may be wrong.

I would suggest a call to DW and ask some questions. perhaps have some instructions faxed to you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.