Hot Rod Forum banner

Full MSD system not firing

18K views 23 replies 8 participants last post by  "70" Cougar 
#1 ·
hey folks.
I just installed a new msd ignition box. Using the diagram for the msd distributer/blaster 2 coil/ msd ign. box set up i have everything connected right. I have the main red/black to the battery. I have the white wire from the box going to the orange wire from the distributer. The (smaller) red wire from the box going to the same wire i used for the tach ( only hot when key is on). I turned the key and it turns over right away and fast.... but no fire. Then i hear a buzzing sound ( kinda like an open door buzz) coming from the msd ignition box. I turn the key to off and the sound stops. If i'm missing something please let me know. I used two of the supplied connecters the blue guillotine style with the metal that cuts into both, for the white/orange and red/hot when key on wires.

thanks allot
bill c

#7 ·
are you **** ing me why would those guys sell me the box knowing that i plan on using it with the msd distributer and coil. If it won't hurt anything then i'll still run it, but stinks is all ! Any way the old wire that grounded the cast intake (i just changed to alum) to the fire wall is my problem.. i just remember i left it unbolted.

bill c

#8 ·
This is just an example at random but I would have gone for a distributor with the magnetic pickup not the three wire connector.

In fact I plan on ditching my HEI/MSD box for an MSD/MSD box setup, separate coil.

As for selling it to you, they assume you have informed yourself but mostly I´d suspect it´s money in their pocket above everything else.
Did you ask for tech advise from the man who sold it to you ?

#10 ·
hey smrat, well the diagram says i should use the white wire. As for the msd distributer they looked up one for my application. 351C. and the box said ready to run ford distributer looks like the pic you posted sept the cap is all red and it has the pedestal mounted wire holder on top. I really don't get why it won't work as is. I did read that your not supposed to use the magnetic pickup and the white wire at the same time " do not". This schematic was the only one that looked like my set up.
thanks again

Attachments

#11 ·
"I used two of the supplied connecters the blue guillotine style with the metal that cuts into both"

I´d check those out, the best connection is spliced and soldered, then shrink wrapped.

"are you **** ing me why would those"

BTW, I don´t need expletives even if they are censored,
just trying to help.

#16 · (Edited)
These are the instructions for MSD-8360 also a ready to run distributor.
Take a look and go to page six, "Ready to run distributors do not require an MSD ignition,though they can be used with one".
That is what "70" Cougar has used, that setup.
If we knew his distributor I´m sure we could sort this.

Edit;
In the instructions for the MSD box the MSD Ford ready to run distributor is not covered just the MSD-8360 for Chevy.
Thought, Chevies go clockwise, Ford´s counterclockwise, maybe ?

#17 ·
generally if you use the white points trigger wire on a magnetic pickup distributor, it won't work. the points trigger wire takes a supplied voltage from the points, of 6-9 volts.. magnetic pickups operate in MV range as they generate the A/C current that is used.

A ready to run distributor would be capable of charging the coil on it's own. so it's output could use the white points trigger in theory but it still makes no sense to do so when the MSD box is going to control the coil

a quick test to see what you really need... unplug the switched ignition 12v source from the distributor.. disconnect the orange from the white wire, crank the motor over and see if you get a reading in MV by testing the orange wire and ground wire with a volt meter.. set to A/C reading. if you do, then you can leave the switched ignition source unplugged. and hook up the magnetic pickup wires to the orange and black wires..

#18 ·
Two things - the MSD colors on the wires are not particularly good on mine - though mine is a small diameter billet, the orange and red might just be connected backwards.

Next - have you tried the distributor without the control box? There is the outside chance that there is a fault inside the dist itself. If it's the 8350 and ready to run - then use the other diagram just for a check. Quite frankly, you've defeated the purpose of the ready to run feature by using the control box - but of course that was your choice :D

Dave W

#21 ·
Well Irelands child.... i appreciate the help. as far as me and " my choice" i'll suck it up and say if this is indeed the type of distributer that i need not use a msd box with, i didn't know or do enough research. I wasn't told that ready to run means you do not need to run the msd ign. box. I'll double check again with the tech's at msd and find out for sure. All i can say on my part is when i went in to the store i told the parts person " i have a ford ready to run MSD distributer and a MSD blaster 2 coil can you find the MSD ign. box i need to run with this set up" If he didn't catch that i didn't need it, maybe there's a chance i can take it back. but being that i've totally installed it i may be out my $250 or so dollars

#22 ·
The also should be nothing on the the coil except the 2 wires from the MSD box. If you have your tach connected there, remove it. The tach MUST be connected to the lug on the MSD box. The dealer you purchased the items from sold you more than you need. It looks like with the read to run distributor they do triger off the white wire so that is not your issue.

#23 ·
ceh383 said:
It's strange to me that they would have you use the points trigger wire when that distributor has a magnetic trigger.
You have a "ready to run" distributor and an msd ignition box, I'd return the distributor and get one of THESE.
In a ready to run the output that goes to the coil emulates what a points signal would look like. I am guessing that there is something else connected to the coil.

#24 ·
Well i stoped in at lordco. and i figured lets track it back to what distributer and go from there. We see the page and says in a bright yellow blerb across a pic of my distributer, " modual inside" .... so i just pulled the thing out and they said bring it back on monday for my money. put the orange back to the + on the coil, and up it started.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.