Full roller BBC Vavle Cover options - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-12-2004, 10:36 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Full roller BBC Vavle Cover options

Hello all,
Looking for opionions and options on BBC Valve covers when going to full roller setup. The problem is I want to keep the original look of the OEM style covers (chrome and rounded corners). This is on a '68 tripower 427 Vette automatic, NO power brake booster. cam lift 0.639I and 0.646E (compcam EX274R custom ground in billet) going with crane gold rollers with limiter bars.

Want to keep the car as original looking as possible. I know this is the hotrodder forum, but if it a pre-72 Vette I like to keep them original as possible.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2004, 01:41 PM

I think there are companies that machine spacer set-ups that bolt in between the stock valve cover and the head...You will have twice the sealing surface to worry about leaking, but they should provide the looks you are after...
Old 04-12-2004, 04:02 PM

Last photo:

The spacers work,but are very obvious looking.I would try a set of more compact roller rockers like the Harland Sharps,then use 2 steel core gaskets glued together with weatherstip adhesive.This setup wont clear stud girdles,but you dont really need them with a .640" lift cam on a bigblock.If you have a problem,it wont be related to lift,it will be related to the rocker bodies hitting the sides of the valve covers.The front and rearmost rockers on each head are the worst.Start out with 2 steel lam gakets,and set them down on a bench and glue another one to the top of it. and then run the bolts thru to keep them in lined up,and let them dry overnight.You should get a good amount of clearance with this setup.Take it from an Old school stret racer.It works.
Old 04-14-2004, 06:56 PM

Thanks for the input. Rally got me thinking and pondering. I checked my roller rockers and they are quite large huge. (got them in a trade deal). I will look at the Harland Sharps... I am curious how well the Comp Cam Pro Magnum #1320-16 would work. They are made of steel and look very stream lined. Steel may be the best choice for the street given its non fatiging characteristics that Aluminum has. However, my drag racing friend swears by them he still manages to wreck them.
Any thoughts on the Comp Cam Pro Magnum Roller Rockers?
Old 04-14-2004, 11:57 PM
BRB carring

Last photo:

there is a canadian tv show called dream car garage, they built a 427 vette and wanted to keep it looking as stock as possible also. what they did was have a set of spacers made and had a cast texture put on the outside edge of the spacer, you never even notice its there, it looks like its part of head. i forget how they got the texture tho, maybe a course sand blast?
1992 Dodge Shadow
1986 S-10 Blazer 4x4 Hot Rod
1970 Chevelle
1966 Chevelle 4 door
Home Made Go Cart
-----------------------------------------
Old 04-15-2004, 07:48 AM

Last photo:

We, B&B, originated the spacers. Our are cast the mating surfaces are machined. The Boss has 2 '67 Tri-tripowers. They are wicked scarey stock, can't imagine with a solid roller.

Chris

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.