Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Full Size trucks in drag racing?
View Single Post
Old 12-02-2011, 02:58 AM

Last journal entry: Garrell's rides
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

it's not fast but it is fun

three years ago i had a severe heart attack and after not doing well for over two months my family noticed i said very little and i could not sit up, walk feed myself, etc. i was carried back to the hospitol and after a few days and numerous test it was realized i had had three strokes, and i di not recognize my wife of 42 years, my two daughters or my three grandchildren. now three long years later and graduating from a wheelchair to a walker and now a cane i will get to the point. i have been a diehard gearhead since i was thirteen years old and dragraced for years in the late 60's into the early 70's. i have been fortunate and owned over thirty muscle cars and hotrods when they were relatively late model used cars i.e. 63 split window fuel injected coupe, 63 409 ss impala, six z28's, big block mid year corvettes, a 67 ss 427 impala. after a year and half recovery i was wheel chaired to my shop that i had not noticed and inside was and is a 2003 ss silverado truck, 1998 20,000 mile corvette a 1969 camaro, indy pace car and a 1939 chevy hotrod truck. i started back to reading stacks of hotrod and carcraft magazines including all of the adds. with the help of a friend that owns a hotrod shop in the small georgia town i live in, we added cold air induction, a highperformance tuneup, a performance exhaust, tonno cover etc. to my ss truck. i went to maxton, nc. in sept. and landspeed raced on the maxton monster mile just for the personal accomplisment, withe no thoughts of running for a record or to go back again. the last maxton meet ever was held in oct. and the east coast timing association will move to an airport at wilmington, ohio next april. i was so close to a record that i went to the oct. maxton meet and after folding the mirrors back, taping up the grille and putting 48 lbs. of air in the tires i set a new a/pp record of 127 mph. in an aerodynamic brick. i carried the truck to a 50 yr. old this year 1/8 mile dragstrip. the truck ran a best of 9.4 in 1/8 mile. there was probably six full size chevy half ton trucks and a couple ran in the loww 8 second range. i have seen in numerous magazines trucks running in 9 to 11 seconds in 1/4 mile. it is easier to run faster and probably more economical in a fox body mustang or nova, but a truck can go home and haul the garbage. happy holidays to all garrell patterson