Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Hotrodding Basics (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/hotrodding-basics/)
-   -   Full Size trucks in drag racing? (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/full-size-trucks-drag-racing-209673.html)

MXrider13 12-01-2011 05:24 PM

Full Size trucks in drag racing?
 
When it comes to drag racing I see a lot of Chevy S10 drag race in all classes from test and tune all the way to Pro Mod (even though thats a completely different car). I haven't seen a lot of fuel size trucks at all drag race though. There was a guy at my local 1/8th Mile track who made a few passes in his dodge ram on a test and tune nights but thats really it.

Why aren't full size trucks like the Chevy C1500s or the Ford F-150s common in drag racing?

poncho62 12-01-2011 05:53 PM

What do you think goes faster when thrown...a spear or a brick?

Question answered

Siggy_Freud 12-01-2011 05:53 PM

Because they take the worst qualities of the small/mid-size trucks (weight, light rear, poor aerodynamics, etc) and amplify them. With enough power and suspension work, they could compete, but dollar for dollar it's cheaper to do it in a platform better suited from the get-go.

My 2 pennies anyways.

cobalt327 12-01-2011 07:21 PM

When the fastest street car drags (don't recall the exact name of the deal) was in its infancy, a white full size Chevy truck w/a bad-A BBC engine was the first winner, IIRC.

There are other F/S trucks doing OK- http://www.draglist.com/Danny/tenquickestpickups.htm

BarryK 12-01-2011 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MXrider13
When it comes to drag racing I see a lot of Chevy S10 drag race in all classes from test and tune all the way to Pro Mod (even though thats a completely different car). I haven't seen a lot of fuel size trucks at all drag race though. There was a guy at my local 1/8th Mile track who made a few passes in his dodge ram on a test and tune nights but thats really it.

Why aren't full size trucks like the Chevy C1500s or the Ford F-150s common in drag racing?

I know nothing about the gas trucks but do the the full size diesels 1/4 mile drag racing is pretty strong.
I have one son that has raced F250's for a number of years, then beat a new VW passot diesel to death, that he said was the fastest one in the world.

Last I followed it 3-4 years ago, there was a Friend of his in Griffin area turning in the low 10's and I think even lower in full size dodges.

I just got a new 250 diesel 4wh dr and he says he can add 200 hp to it in about 10 minutes, not interested and will keep an eye on the power band for any sudden changes.

Seems to me there are a number of diesel truck forums dedicated to this.

MARTINSR 12-01-2011 08:30 PM

I know it isn't a "big truck" of today but I ran my 48 Chevy pickup with a stone stock 401 Buick and 3.08s to a best of 14.64 @95mpg. :D Those were the days with a drag strip here in town, what a great time we had down there.

Brian

garrell.770 12-02-2011 02:58 AM

it's not fast but it is fun
 
three years ago i had a severe heart attack and after not doing well for over two months my family noticed i said very little and i could not sit up, walk feed myself, etc. i was carried back to the hospitol and after a few days and numerous test it was realized i had had three strokes, and i di not recognize my wife of 42 years, my two daughters or my three grandchildren. now three long years later and graduating from a wheelchair to a walker and now a cane i will get to the point. i have been a diehard gearhead since i was thirteen years old and dragraced for years in the late 60's into the early 70's. i have been fortunate and owned over thirty muscle cars and hotrods when they were relatively late model used cars i.e. 63 split window fuel injected coupe, 63 409 ss impala, six z28's, big block mid year corvettes, a 67 ss 427 impala. after a year and half recovery i was wheel chaired to my shop that i had not noticed and inside was and is a 2003 ss silverado truck, 1998 20,000 mile corvette a 1969 camaro, indy pace car and a 1939 chevy hotrod truck. i started back to reading stacks of hotrod and carcraft magazines including all of the adds. with the help of a friend that owns a hotrod shop in the small georgia town i live in, we added cold air induction, a highperformance tuneup, a performance exhaust, tonno cover etc. to my ss truck. i went to maxton, nc. in sept. and landspeed raced on the maxton monster mile just for the personal accomplisment, withe no thoughts of running for a record or to go back again. the last maxton meet ever was held in oct. and the east coast timing association will move to an airport at wilmington, ohio next april. i was so close to a record that i went to the oct. maxton meet and after folding the mirrors back, taping up the grille and putting 48 lbs. of air in the tires i set a new a/pp record of 127 mph. in an aerodynamic brick. i carried the truck to a 50 yr. old this year 1/8 mile dragstrip. the truck ran a best of 9.4 in 1/8 mile. there was probably six full size chevy half ton trucks and a couple ran in the loww 8 second range. i have seen in numerous magazines trucks running in 9 to 11 seconds in 1/4 mile. it is easier to run faster and probably more economical in a fox body mustang or nova, but a truck can go home and haul the garbage. happy holidays to all garrell patterson

SSedan64 12-02-2011 04:55 AM

I know you guys have seen the OKC Farm Truck on Youtube. :mwink:
68 C10 w/Camper Top & MudFlaps. :eek: Lots or Videos of it. :thumbup:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LH9tA...eature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFtEw7G40nw
Watch that Wuss Rich C. when it leaves, 1st Vid. :D

cobalt327 12-02-2011 06:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by garrell.770
three years ago i had a severe heart attack and after not doing well for over two months my family noticed i said very little and i could not sit up, walk feed myself, etc. i was carried back to the hospitol and after a few days and numerous test it was realized i had had three strokes, and i di not recognize my wife of 42 years, my two daughters or my three grandchildren. now three long years later and graduating from a wheelchair to a walker and now a cane i will get to the point. i have been a diehard gearhead since i was thirteen years old and dragraced for years in the late 60's into the early 70's. i have been fortunate and owned over thirty muscle cars and hotrods when they were relatively late model used cars i.e. 63 split window fuel injected coupe, 63 409 ss impala, six z28's, big block mid year corvettes, a 67 ss 427 impala. after a year and half recovery i was wheel chaired to my shop that i had not noticed and inside was and is a 2003 ss silverado truck, 1998 20,000 mile corvette a 1969 camaro, indy pace car and a 1939 chevy hotrod truck. i started back to reading stacks of hotrod and carcraft magazines including all of the adds. with the help of a friend that owns a hotrod shop in the small georgia town i live in, we added cold air induction, a highperformance tuneup, a performance exhaust, tonno cover etc. to my ss truck. i went to maxton, nc. in sept. and landspeed raced on the maxton monster mile just for the personal accomplisment, withe no thoughts of running for a record or to go back again. the last maxton meet ever was held in oct. and the east coast timing association will move to an airport at wilmington, ohio next april. i was so close to a record that i went to the oct. maxton meet and after folding the mirrors back, taping up the grille and putting 48 lbs. of air in the tires i set a new a/pp record of 127 mph. in an aerodynamic brick. i carried the truck to a 50 yr. old this year 1/8 mile dragstrip. the truck ran a best of 9.4 in 1/8 mile. there was probably six full size chevy half ton trucks and a couple ran in the loww 8 second range. i have seen in numerous magazines trucks running in 9 to 11 seconds in 1/4 mile. it is easier to run faster and probably more economical in a fox body mustang or nova, but a truck can go home and haul the garbage. happy holidays to all garrell patterson

Congratulations on your recovery and making the most of things since the strokes and heart attack.

I cannot imagine what it would be like to not recognize anyone, nor what it would be like to "discover" a bevy of good iron in my garage that I didn't remember I had!

Sounds like your LS powered full size runs good, especially on the top end. Any plans to do any more racing w/it?

Keep up the good work. You are an inspiration.

Bonneville462 12-02-2011 07:42 AM

Pound for pound you can't beat a seventy's Nova or Ventura...

Custom10 12-02-2011 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SSedan64
I know you guys have seen the OKC Farm Truck on Youtube. :mwink:
68 C10 w/Camper Top & MudFlaps. :eek: Lots or Videos of it. :thumbup:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LH9tA...eature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFtEw7G40nw
Watch that Wuss Rich C. when it leaves, 1st Vid. :D

That is awesome SS haha,,,I should have never sold my topper :thumbup:

matts37chev 12-02-2011 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarryK
I know nothing about the gas trucks but do the the full size diesels 1/4 mile drag racing is pretty strong.
I have one son that has raced F250's for a number of years, then beat a new VW passot diesel to death, that he said was the fastest one in the world.

Last I followed it 3-4 years ago, there was a Friend of his in Griffin area turning in the low 10's and I think even lower in full size dodges.

I just got a new 250 diesel 4wh dr and he says he can add 200 hp to it in about 10 minutes, not interested and will keep an eye on the power band for any sudden changes.

Seems to me there are a number of diesel truck forums dedicated to this.

the diesel guys still play :thumbup:

NovaJoe1973 12-02-2011 11:36 PM

This guy is putting down over 1000 hp in an 80's chevy dually powered by a procharged big block and can only pull off an 11 second et:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_BjAT9LJEY

against all odds 12-03-2011 12:22 AM

Coming from a beginner/strictly bolt-on standpoint, i feel that the fullsizers----1/2 ton only that is----NO 3/4 OR 1 TON, could be a good choice because:

1) Usually a good rear axle and in a lot of cases a good gear ratio ideal for dragging already installed----3.73, 4.10 etc.

2) Plenty of room to fit large slicks with no mods whatsoever. 13"-14"


So, i'm thinking a shortbed with smallblock could weigh around 3500 lbs.

cobalt327 12-03-2011 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NovaJoe1973
This guy is putting down over 1000 hp in an 80's chevy dually powered by a procharged big block and can only pull off an 11 second et:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_BjAT9LJEY

I don't know where the 1000-plus HP claim comes from or the supposed 4.56 gears, but it does weigh 7K lbs.

Using a calculator at Wallace, it predicted a 11.30 ET using 1000 HP/7000 lbs., 500' elevation, 70 degrees F and 85% humidity.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:44 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.