Fully Loaded - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-18-2005, 11:11 AM
I wanted an egg-salad sandwich

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Fully Loaded

http://rodandcustommagazine.com/featuredvehicles/0509rc_pinkee/#extended

Rod and Custom magazines, cover car. While they are very careful NOT to call it a "rat rod" they do say things like "traditional styling" etc...

Im just scratching my head. its a beautiful car, and the craftsmanship looks excellent, and I love "details". but it comes down to being a "rat rod" style with nothing but money thrown at it, and how many miles you think its "driven"...

I just dont know!!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2005, 11:40 AM
Kenneth Howard hates you...

Last journal entry: door pics smaller
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazygutgut
http://rodandcustommagazine.com/featuredvehicles/0509rc_pinkee/#extended

Rod and Custom magazines, cover car. While they are very careful NOT to call it a "rat rod" they do say things like "traditional styling" etc...

Im just scratching my head. its a beautiful car, and the craftsmanship looks excellent, and I love "details". but it comes down to being a "rat rod" style with nothing but money thrown at it, and how many miles you think its "driven"...

I just dont know!!
I wouldn't as far as saying that it is a 'rat-rod styled' car.
I have seen it up close and in magazines...there is nothing RAT about it.
I had a pic in my photo album, but for some reason I now have NO pics in there. I keep getting some error.
Later,
WEIMER
Old 07-18-2005, 11:53 AM

Last photo:

but you cant deny its rat rod inspired, all chopped up and channeled...

Heres a 29 Ford truck "rat rod".. obviously some inspiration there no?
Old 07-18-2005, 01:33 PM
Kenneth Howard hates you...

Last journal entry: door pics smaller
Last photo:

You and I have a difference in opinion of the term RatRod. To me that looks more traditional styled with the chop/channel. The rat rod guys didn't go for that originally, they went for the speed-oriented mods. Chopping and channeling won't make the car any faster on the street. The chop/channel guys usually went after looks more than speed. Thats why the rats had primer, paint wasn't in the go-parts budget.
Royce Glader's roadster pickup and Bobby Alloway's 70 Challenger have to be the most beautiful pieces of machinery that I have ever seen in person.
The '29 posted last, I feel has nothing comparable to the roadster pickup you are talking about. The have a couple similarities, like the are both a truck, and they both are channeled...but it stops about there.
Chopping,channeling,shaving,nosing decking, smoothing,etc...are all common mods performed in the 50's and 60's era. Hell they are still pretty common mods...unless you look towards the walmart/autozone custom crowd.
Is the '29 in the pic yours? If it is...Looks good.
Later,
WEIMER
Old 07-18-2005, 01:46 PM

Last photo:

I think everyone has a different definition of the term Rat Rod!

I do how ever agree with what you are saying..that the mods that "traditionalists" use are common, and the 29 uses those mods. I will say this, I like that 29, I think it's beautiful, and I would love to see it up close. the detail looks amazing, and that instrument cluster looks killer. I am not anti "traditional" or "rat rod" per se' but I do think the "flat black, white wall" thing has gotten a little common place, and the style tends to be used "out of context" Originally the flat black and white was just a result of having no money and/or spending all your money on the engine mods. I remeber when they started becoming more common at car shows and my dad always joking that he would donate to the "paint fund"... But I think the best way to describe the "fully loaded" car TO ME is "out of context" it is based on a traditional style and looks like it is supposed to be a trailer queen rat rod. Maybe a better choice of car to do this too would have been a zephyr? It certainly would not get the attention if it had been done on a 32 ford. Either way, I dont hate it!! It just has me scratching my head ...
Old 07-18-2005, 02:23 PM
Young & Idealistic

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild an engine
Last journal entry: 1950 Fargo - losing hope
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

Flat black with rat rod red wheels has definitely been taken way over the top...be creative people I'm not a fan of "rat rods", I'm a fan of traditional rods (you know, rods built in the 50's and 60's). Pick up a mag from 1950-1970, do you see primered rides in there? Heck no, cause those were the poor mans rides....nowadays cars dont run primer cause the owner cant afford paint, they run primer cause its "cool" now. Before "old skool" was cool everybody despised primered rides, now everybody jumps onto the bandwagon....
I think that car is a beaut, I wouldnt've done it up differently.

Mike
Old 07-18-2005, 02:36 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightfire
(you know, rods built in the 50's and 60's).
See if thats what you call traditional, thats more what I call "60's customs"
Cars with the pearl white paint and gold scallops with red trim, all white interior with tuck and roll. cars with frenched tailight and headlights or tail lights and head lights from another car, upside down grills and bumpers etc...

like this

or this

even this one, though you can see all of it

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.