Funniest article ever. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2007, 02:16 PM

Last journal entry: 2 photoshoots.
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Funniest article ever.

I got my issue of Street Rodder yesterday and thumb through it to see if there was anything that I could use. Sometimes there is and sometimes there isn't. I get it because the offer I got for a year subscription is basically the cost of just two issues and I'm sure that during a year I would buy at least that many.

Well, there was an article in this one that had me laughing to myself for a while. "How to build a better beater". I guess this is going to be the new name for rat rods and personally, I really don't care what they are called. They're "not my cup of tea". The article was about getting the finish of your hot rod to look old and worn. Or, as the defenders of this fad like to call it, patina. I prefer to call it what it is, rust.

This article had a step by step procedure on how to properly sand and scuff your finish so it will look worn out and "barn found". I just had to laugh. I can't wait for this fad to be over. There's a lot of paint supplies that are going to be sold. I just hope that the sheet metal on these old cars, that otherwise would have been cared for properly, survives.

Like it wasn't tasteless enough (IMO) to be riding around in a rusty hulk, now they are finding ways to fake it! I read in another issue that one guys come back to the criticism was, "Well, there's a lot of hot rods with fake flames painted on them." Uhhhh..... nice try. Lame, but nice.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2007, 02:33 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I know, lets spend 5k on a paint job then sand it in spots to make it look old.
What will they come up with next?
How about taking some rotted wood and screw it to the sides. That would give it that old farm look.
If you see that in the next few issuse that was my idea.LOL
Old 06-10-2007, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke
What will they come up with next?
How about using baling wire in strategic places???

If you see that, just remember, I thought of it first!!
Old 06-10-2007, 04:49 PM
Living At The Speed Of Life

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jray
How about using baling wire in strategic places???

If you see that, just remember, I thought of it first!!

Would "tie wraps" be the billet version of baling wire ?
Old 06-11-2007, 06:45 AM
Certified Lead Foot

Last photo:

The reason they have to FAKE the rust is those fiberglass repo bodies will never really get the real rust look on their own.

Don't forget the Bazooka bubble gum to go with that bailing wire.
Old 06-11-2007, 08:21 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,165 Times in 1,027 Posts
I can't stand the "patina", "barn found" look, again, it makes take me to a low rider show. There is no way in hell I am going to "like" a gold plated and engraved framed 65 Impala, I will appreciate the skill involved, but that is it, period. And at a big show where there are a bunch of them, it is just nauseating.

Now, the guy who builds "just another rod" like a Duece hiboy with a small block Chevy. He builds it because he enjoys it, and damn it, it looks good and is fun to drive. These "RatRod" type cars and people largely have a "chip on their shoulders" and are "bucking the man" to be anti billit and anti big buck and all that. What I get a kick out of is, in their desire to be "different", they all end up being the same! That is the funny part, when you do something way out of the norm, like one of these cartoon cars with the girl on your arm with the tattoos all over her, you stand out as "different" right? I mean, in a sea full of Duece hiboys with small blocks and hushabd and wife dressed looking like your going to a PTA picnic, that guy with the worn leather and cigs rolled up in his sleave with the inked up chick and rusty bodied 3' high chopped, sectioned, channeled, zzed, hacked over Model A sedan with the shifter sticking out of the roof and exposed tranny is a BIG stand out, individualist, a "rebel".

But when you have a sea of these "rebels", all you really have are two seas, one of the Mr Streetrodders and one of the Bad Ars Rebel Rat Roddders. They are equally "norm". The shock value is GOOOOOOOOONNNNNNEEEEEEE Rat rodders, your time is up!

Brian
Old 06-11-2007, 09:33 AM

Last photo:

The RatRod idea is taking something too far.
The artist Robert Williams built a 32 roadster, leaving the body in primer as per a promise to Pete Chapouris and Jim Jacobs who had a hand in the building.

Taken from "the hot rod world of robt. williams"
The RatRod term is attributed to Gray Baskerville when researching an article on primered rods for Hot Rod.
Next came a 34 Sedan belonging to his wife, chopped and in primer, the first primered car to be displayed (as finished) in the Petersen Museum.
The idea was to build cars as they were built using expertise and available parts, this unfortunately has morphed into junk.
So we have it, RatRod is to downgrade the Hot Rod, maybe as a rebellion to billet but more to outdo the last heap.
So called patina is just another step down as we see here.
Old 06-11-2007, 09:41 AM

Last wiki edit: Wheelbase database Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfeverfred
I got my issue of Street Rodder yesterday ...

Well, there was an article in this one that had me laughing to myself for a while. "How to build a better beater". I guess this is going to be the new name for rat rods and personally, I really don't care what they are called. They're "not my cup of tea". The article was about getting the finish of your hot rod to look old and worn. Or, as the defenders of this fad like to call it, patina. I prefer to call it what it is, rust...
Actually, the funniest article was in Hot Rod a couple of issues ago where they detailed the effort to get "fauxtina" on a 'glass rod. The best part was where they faked in rust pits and holes with a Dremel tool then had to periodically spray rusty water on the spot to get the right "look".

Do these people have WAAAAAY too much time on their hands?
Old 06-11-2007, 10:06 AM

Last photo:

Check my link above "as we see here".
Old 06-11-2007, 10:28 AM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

I clicked on that article and the best part of it was when someone invited Baskerville to a show and then would not let him in because he drove his car to the show and it got rained on and had road dust on it. putting a bunch of phony scratches and rust on a car is about like some guy showing up with a chest full of medals for things he never saw or did.

Sam
Old 06-11-2007, 10:29 AM

Last wiki edit: Wheelbase database Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by malc
Check my link above "as we see here".
Yup. That's the one.
Old 06-11-2007, 10:36 AM

Last journal entry: Free tires
Last photo:

Faked Patina? Isn't that like a fake orgasm?
Old 06-11-2007, 03:45 PM

Last photo:

Fake patina is like going to the proctologist to get your teeth cleaned, it just puts a bad taest in your mouth
Old 06-11-2007, 05:55 PM
Crazy Ole Ironhead

Last photo:

This RatRod bull is way out of hand in my opinion.
To me a RatRod came from someone who had a rod but couldnt afford to finish it resto or custom totaly so they got it to a point of good drivability and drove it...this new RatRod scene of actualy "planning" to build JUNK?..i Fart better subjects than that...

When i was 18 i bought a 72 SS Chevelle for 300.00 without an engine and tranny,my father had a 396 and a turbo 400 auto laying in the shed from an old 1 ton chevy truck,thats what went it so i could drive it.
The body had a few good size dents and i was only making 7.50 an hr learning pipe welding as an apprentice in a shop ,so that budget after paying my apartment rent,utilities and auto insurance was way below of me getting the body done and painted,so went to pep boys,bought a little can of bondo,some sandpaper and a bunch of rattle can primer.

THATS a RatRod in my opinion,it is safe to drive but looks just OK because it is at least all one color and doesnt look all wavy and dented up because the grey primer hid it and geuss what?..i was DRIVING it daily..did that for 2 years and dont know how much in primer everytime it started fading off and the blue started coming through..lol

But all this RatRod scene of trying to "Fake" rust..old worn out parts rigged together and call it "custom"?

If thats the case i have a feild FULL of show winner "RatRods" for sale out in the farm feild here..bidding starts at 50k a peice.....
Old 06-11-2007, 07:06 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: 36 Ford painting
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Yup. That's the one.
I saw that car in Famoso about a year ago, it had already been featured in Street Rodder. As I was looking at it, I explained to half a dozen people that the guy took the car from a finished rod to looking patinaed (sp?) , the response was "what the H*** for? That's just goofy." I've got 3 years into my build, that would be 3 steps backward for me! There are a lot of people making money off the 'rat' look, the Monkey Spankers come to mind. Martin, you bring back memories from my high school days of being a 'nonconformist', a wise teacher pointed out to a bunch of us 'noncomformists' that if there are more than one of you, you are now conforming to something. You make a very good comparison also. As far as rat rods go, when I see a unique build that uses parts from different sources and ingenuity to make them work, i enjoy looking at the car. To make a car look like a piece of crap just to have a rat rod, nope. Rat rods aren't just a look, they using what's available at hand to build a car affordable, it beats walking. That would be my first 20 cars I owned before the age of 25. Dan

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.