Hot Rod Forum banner

funny engine sound

2K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  brad11957 
#1 ·
Hello,

For those of you who have helped me with other issues on my car...guess what another issue has popped up. One in which I have an idea of what is wrong but before I tear anything apart would like to get other opinions. I have a ticking/knocking sound. It actually sounds like the tick of a rocker arm, but I have gone through adjusting the rocker arms on a hot adjustment several times(hydraulic lifters on 305 chevy) and while doing them no change in the background ticking sound. It will go away at about 2000 rpm's. It's been doing it for quite some time and hasn't seem to have gotten worse over time. I actually just replaced the heads because they needed to be replaced any way and was hoping some how by some miracle that by doing so I would get rid of this ticking sound. Turns out miracles don't happen on my car. So I got out my handy dandy long bladed screwdriver to listen around the engine. and I can definetely hear something which seems to be toward the front driver's side. Now for my next big assumption, I am believing it to be either a rod, or piston skirt. Leaning more toward the piston skirt being broken because I have great oil pressure, and it isn't giving that heavy knocking sound of what a rod would make, but am leaving it as an option.

#3 ·
I bought a stethascope today. I listened around the engine a bit and heard a sound like a ball peen hammer hitting tin. This was in the block, below the head. I'm betting on broken piston skirt. Now I just have to find a free day or so to pull the pan off. Oh, and I drove it for about a half hour today and then when I slowed down to a stop I noticed that the sound had gone down, but was still there. This also leads me to believe it is a piston.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.