funny stuff - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2009, 08:28 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

funny stuff

hey guys,has anyone ever started a thread about the worst and funniest mistakes they have ever made? Ive made a few and learnd alot from them id like to hear some and mabee get a light hearted discussion going so the kids arnt so afraid to make them and let them understand thats how we learn our best lessons.if theres one already how do i find it? keep in mind my ten year old is my teacher on computers,i dont know how i found this site but its my favorite and im here mostly to give encouragement to first time rod builders and keep them motivated theres talent out there that just needs to be found

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2009, 10:38 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

i have two that i can tell on myself....at 16 yrs old they made perfect sense to me!!!
cut off my pipes under my 64 chevelle ss..283 3-speed.hung tiger mufflers on the end of the pipes,gl**** packs of course.i couldn't find anything under there to hang the end of the mufflers too...untill i noticed this long round tube going thru the middle of the floor pan.wasn't sure what that tube was for, but it was perfect to chain the end of my mufflers to.i made it about 2 feet before the driveshaft ripped the mufflers off....so that is what the long tube is for!!!!
the other,several years had passed and i had to adjust the valves on a solid cam.being a messy job,getting oil on everything,i thought i was real smart and laid a couple towels on top of the headers.it worked for a while until the towels got soaked with oil and they burst into flames....another lesson learned.
Old 03-05-2009, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vert1940
i have two that i can tell on myself....at 16 yrs old they made perfect sense to me!!!
cut off my pipes under my 64 chevelle ss..283 3-speed.hung tiger mufflers on the end of the pipes,gl**** packs of course.i couldn't find anything under there to hang the end of the mufflers too...untill i noticed this long round tube going thru the middle of the floor pan.wasn't sure what that tube was for, but it was perfect to chain the end of my mufflers to.i made it about 2 feet before the driveshaft ripped the mufflers off....so that is what the long tube is for!!!!
the other,several years had passed and i had to adjust the valves on a solid cam.being a messy job,getting oil on everything,i thought i was real smart and laid a couple towels on top of the headers.it worked for a while until the towels got soaked with oil and they burst into flames....another lesson learned.
now thats funny but i cant believe you actually admitted it
Old 03-05-2009, 12:06 PM

Last photo:

i thought that was the whole idea to punk on yourself?
i think i did pretty good doing that!! over the last 55 years i know i have come a long way,and learned a lot.as long as you are learning and don't get hurt or hurt anyone else,i don't mind telling stupid things i've done in the learning process,if it makes someone else feel less stupid...fine with me.
if i can think of any more i will post
Old 03-05-2009, 12:35 PM

heres one

I was also 16 once i tried out is new high build primer called feather fill.since it was new,i read the directions very carefully,TWICE.It takes about half a tube of fiberglass hardner per quart then reducer ,"i think" any way i mixed it up and sprayed the whole car and left it to dry,amazed at how thick it could be applied,I even tried to make it run,cause thats how i am ,see how far i can push the bar.The next day i went to sand it and it seamed kinda soft so i left it,got busy with something and forgot about it.Came back the next day ,still soft,so i went to my buddies shop asked him how long it takes,told him its been three days now its still soft,he started laughing so hard he had to hold himself up he just said i dont know ask dino witch i did. He had the same reaction but harry was now on the floor gasping for breath he was laughing so hard i was the only one in the shop not laughing when those guys got up they told me i forgot the hardner,well it took a few days to get it off but finaly i was ready so again i mixed it up and sprayed the car and came back the next day,IT WAS STILL SOFT knowing i couldnt possibly have done it again,I went looking for the tube in the trash,couldnt find it,till i looked in the box there it was FULL.I never told them I did it again and I never told anyone else about any of this this is the first time but nobody knows who I am so its o.k. PS Barry if this gets back to me Ill know it was you
Old 03-05-2009, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vert1940
i thought that was the whole idea to punk on yourself?
i think i did pretty good doing that!! over the last 55 years i know i have come a long way,and learned a lot.as long as you are learning and don't get hurt or hurt anyone else,i don't mind telling stupid things i've done in the learning process,if it makes someone else feel less stupid...fine with me.
if i can think of any more i will post
no i just wanted to see who fell for it,just kidding ,i just finished my confession hope you dont feel alone.ask me about sand blasting and my near death experince later ill forget
Old 03-05-2009, 12:46 PM

wizzwheel nationals!!

my car's up in the air, and i'm trying to identify if i actually have a grand national rear, so i take what i can find, carb clean, and start cleaning it. after the carb clean started making a mess on the floor, we put down an oil absorbing mat too soak up the mess. while i'm doing that my friend starts cutting part of the a-frame to make the headers fit. as soon as he started cutting, sparks flew the length of the car back to the carb spray soaked flammable mat! the flames were 5 feet high, and the gas tank was 6 feet high! we stomped out the fire with our shoes, my friends shoes were ruined!
Old 03-05-2009, 01:00 PM

you know your an idiot when:

I was detailing a car and it was running the customer was standing there waiting i quickly finished up feeling proud of my self for how fast i did it i shut the door heard a click............ you guessed it automatic door locks. burned half a tank of gas waiting for the locksmith
Old 03-05-2009, 04:11 PM

I guess the best one I have done was when I was a young man. Iwas putting my Boss CJ5 on the lift. He had a snoe plow on the front and 500 lb of rocks in the back. I had but this CJ5 on the rack a dozen times that winter. He had forgot to tell me he took the rocks out of the back. When the lift got to the top the jeep slid off backwards. The plow hit the roof and the hitch hit the floor it was stuck on the rack. It took 3 tow trucks to get it down. He took a pitcure with me standing by his jeep and said the one that got a way from Jim. It did not hurt the jeep in any way. But as he backed it out of the shop he tore the left door off of it.
Old 03-05-2009, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairie dog
I guess the best one I have done was when I was a young man. Iwas putting my Boss CJ5 on the lift. He had a snoe plow on the front and 500 lb of rocks in the back. I had but this CJ5 on the rack a dozen times that winter. He had forgot to tell me he took the rocks out of the back. When the lift got to the top the jeep slid off backwards. The plow hit the roof and the hitch hit the floor it was stuck on the rack. It took 3 tow trucks to get it down. He took a pitcure with me standing by his jeep and said the one that got a way from Jim. It did not hurt the jeep in any way. But as he backed it out of the shop he tore the left door off of it.
Thats a good one dog mabee we should take a vote ?naw id hate to win something like that
Old 03-20-2009, 07:13 PM

key dont fit!!!!!!!

my second side job,I was 18. Got the check,got the car,went to bank,got the money,got back in customers car,KEY DONT FIT IGNITION,CRAP!!!!! I look out the drivers window,theres a guy standing there looking right at me when I realize I'm in the wrong car!!!!!!!!! I got out and said you wouldnt believe me if I told you And walked over to the right car and drove away,Quickly
Old 03-20-2009, 08:18 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

1969 Mustang GT, 351W transplant, new Holley Carb...playing with the jetting and getting her tuned.

Sunny Saturday morning, 7 AM as I remember...I was anxious to cruise it that day with the new Holley 650DP on the engine.

I had just finished my second jet change and plug chop and had parked the car on a side street far from my house so I wouldn't wake the neighbors. I checked the plugs and decided one size back down was in order.

I swapped the jets and started the car, it sounded good and I gave her a couple of quick flips of the throttle to hear her purr. I stepped out of the car leaving the drivers door open to check under the hood. To my horror I realized I forgot to connect the fuel line (again!) as evidenced by the 4 ft fountain of gasoline hitting the hood and splashing over everything.

The RPM of the motor started to climb as the fuel bowls ran empty and the fuel splashing off the hood found its way into the engine, an URGENT sense of panic set in as I ran around the front of the car to shut the engine off. I had a carb fire which destroyed all the under-hood wiring a month earlier and was not eager for a repeat!

As I rounded the front quarter panel in full gallop I slipped in the river of gasoline on the pavement coming out from under the engine and slid under the open drivers door hitting my head hard against the bottom edge. I did the "second head hit" against the door and pavement when I tried to get up which really rang my bell.

All I remember was the sound of the engine hitting what I thought was 6000 rpm when I blacked out.

When I woke up I was soaked in gasoline laying under the open drivers door, my head hurt like heck. The engine had died and all I could hear was birds chirping.

No damage except to my ego and the lumps on the front and back of my head, there was a nice red line that ran across my forehead from the bottom door edge.

There were no witnesses that I know of except for those birds, thank God.

I triple check fuel lines and always close the drivers door with the window down to this day.
Old 03-20-2009, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4 Jaw Chuck
1969 Mustang GT, 351W transplant, new Holley Carb...playing with the jetting and getting her tuned.

Sunny Saturday morning, 7 AM as I remember...I was anxious to cruise it that day with the new Holley 650DP on the engine.

I had just finished my second jet change and plug chop and had parked the car on a side street far from my house so I wouldn't wake the neighbors. I checked the plugs and decided one size back down was in order.

I swapped the jets and started the car, it sounded good and I gave her a couple of quick flips of the throttle to hear her purr. I stepped out of the car leaving the drivers door open to check under the hood. To my horror I realized I forgot to connect the fuel line (again!) as evidenced by the 4 ft fountain of gasoline hitting the hood and splashing over everything.

The RPM of the motor started to climb as the fuel bowls ran empty and the fuel splashing off the hood found its way into the engine, an URGENT sense of panic set in as I ran around the front of the car to shut the engine off. I had a carb fire which destroyed all the under-hood wiring a month earlier and was not eager for a repeat!

As I rounded the front quarter panel in full gallop I slipped in the river of gasoline on the pavement coming out from under the engine and slid under the open drivers door hitting my head hard against the bottom edge. I did the "second head hit" against the door and pavement when I tried to get up which really rang my bell.

All I remember was the sound of the engine hitting what I thought was 6000 rpm when I blacked out.

When I woke up I was soaked in gasoline laying under the open drivers door, my head hurt like heck. The engine had died and all I could hear was birds chirping.

No damage except to my ego and the lumps on the front and back of my head, there was a nice red line that ran across my forehead from the bottom door edge.

There were no witnesses that I know of except for those birds, thank God.

I triple check fuel lines and always close the drivers door with the window down to this day.
hey 4 jaw, how old were you? I wish Iwas your neighbor,thats a good one
Old 03-20-2009, 11:16 PM
Pudycat

Last photo:

at 17 I sold my 60 chev, 2 door hardtop, at 18 I sold my 1964 el camino with a 327, at 19 I sold my 1965 Mustage 2+2 (see a pattern here?)
Old 03-21-2009, 07:56 AM

Now THATS one weve ALL made,personaly I'm a repete offender.My rap sheet is to long and way to embaressing to list and the ink aint dry yet. Thanks Jag

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.