Fusable link debate - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-26-2008, 08:57 PM

Last wiki edit: How to title a hot rod Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Fusable link debate

Have read a lot of the past threads debating fusable links and still haven't reached a decision.
I have just finished wiring my SR and did not install any.
What circuits should I put them on? I wired my SR using that little friggin' orange book. I used one of the GM starting and charging prints.
I am thinking about putting a fusable link in the engine compartment in the battery supply to the interior and also one on the wire from the alternator to the battery.
Does this sound right?
What have u done or what would be right.

I have never ever had a problem with them in the cars I'v owned .

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2008, 09:10 PM
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I don't like em. If you do choose to use them carry some spares.

Vince
Old 09-26-2008, 10:02 PM

Last photo:

Fusible links work well in some places, fuses in others. Personally, I use both. I've always found links work best in circuits that tend to have amperage "spikes". Ckts like a cooling fans. The initial startup draw may be close to 25 amps intermittently, then taper off to 15 amps quickly. If you have a 20 amp fuse, it will blow. A fusible link will heat up, but absorb the extra amperage flow momentarily and keep the ckt operational, so the ckt can return to the lower amperage flow. Links in charging systems, relay controlled headlamp ckts, etc. all work well. Fuses are best for direct control of a ckt. - gages, courtesy lamps, fuel pumps, power antennas, etc.
Old 09-26-2008, 10:14 PM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

fusable links

Fusable links should be in a position where they will not damage other wiring or components if they burn out. the last street rod harness I bought just used a shorter piece of a smaller gage wire. If I remember right when I was an an assembly engineer at Ford and had electrical componets the design engineer said the wire material was a type that melted at a lower temperature. when I go scrounging at the bone yard I used to get the ones from Ford products that had a ring terminal and were attached to the battery cable end of the starter relay most had an amp rating molded on the tab. if no tab the wire size of the main wire indicates the amp rating . the factore fusable links used a different type of insulation that had a higher ignition point ./. Retired Ford engineer..
Old 09-27-2008, 09:48 AM
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothale
Fusable links should be in a position where they will not damage other wiring or components if they burn out. ./. Retired Ford engineer..
Precisely why I do not use them. One has to ask, why is it (I think) that Ford is the only auto manufacturer using them? Also why is it the #1 aftermarket wiring harness manufacturer (Painless) does not use them? Ron Francis Wiring also does not use them.

It is possible to get slow blow fuses for anticipated peak or instantaneous loads, or better still just size your wire for peak load, which is basic sound electrical practice.

This debate has been going on for ages and will not be settled here for sure. Kinda reminds me of the Ford vs Chevy feud.

Vince
Old 10-05-2008, 10:20 AM

Fusible links are very common on older GM vehicles, and they last for many years.

Fusible link wire is always two gauge sizes (four numbers) higher than the wire it protects (8 gauge wire uses 12 gauge fusible link). It is special wire, not just wire that is two sizes smaller. They are only used in engine compartment areas because the wire and insulation is designed to heat up and melt under load. It should be installed on a wire so that the fusible link is closest to the source of power.

On my '75 (GMC) fusible links are used on main power feeds in the engine compartment, where it would be difficult to use a standard fuse or breaker. Some examples:
-- fusible link is used in the charging circuit wire from the alternator to the battery
-- fusible link is used in the main power feed from the battery to the fuse box

Later GM vehicles (mid 90's) continued to use a fusible link in the alternator to battery wire, but switched to high amp fuses for the main power feeds.

The high amp fuses (e.g. Maxi fuses) are a relatively new development. Most older vehicles used fusible links or some type of self-resetting breaker (often used in headlight circuits) for high amp circuits. Sinces its now easy to buy the Maxi fuses, you can use that solution if it works better for your application.

Bruce
Old 10-05-2008, 11:32 AM
Living At The Speed Of Life

Last photo:

About fusible links at MadElectrical.com

"Installation and function of a Fusible Link is similar to the “cartridge type,” in-line fuse. But the Fusible Link does not deteriorate or have meltdown problems with constant use in heavy-duty systems, as the cartridge type fuse is famous for. (Chevy began installing Fusible Link wires in the main-power circuits with ’66 models, and of those old cars that are still in use, most of the original Fusible Link wires are still in place. If a Fusible Link burned out then it saved the car!)"
Old 10-05-2008, 10:58 PM

Last wiki edit: Hand cleaner Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

i have replaced a lot of fusible links. some had no damage to the harness, some had minor damage to the harness, a few had major damage to the harness.
almost every harness i've seen that had the links removed & replaced with standard wiring had major damage, a fair number of them were too bad to try to repair and had to have the harness replaced.

i have fusible links on my car, and i will always have them.
under the hood where you need them at, circuit breakers are prone to water intrusion, so are Maxi fuses.
it doesn't matter if you use fusible links, circuit breakers, or the Maxi fuses, just be sure to use something to protect the wiring harness & the vehicle.
if you use fusible links, don't have them taped up in the harness, & don't tape them together.
Old 10-06-2008, 12:01 AM

Last photo:

Fusible Links

There are a fair amount of posts in archives by Doc Vette where he recommended using them I have found when I followed his advice everything always worked out.
Old 10-06-2008, 07:04 AM

Fusable links?

Downside Story.
Going down the road one moonlit night in a Buddy's Charger (Think) roaring along about 100 mph on a back road.......fuse link blows...ALL POWER goes with it, engine, and LIGHTS....thanks for the moonlight and a deserted road.
Upside Story.
If I would have HAD a fuse link in my 65 C10 when I hooked a black wire someone had stubbed onto a red wire I could not see.......well I would have avoided all that smoke....that nasty burnt wire smell, and the days it took to replace EVERY WIRE IN THE FREAKIN TRUCK!!!!!!!!!!
Pick one.

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.