Fuse Block - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2005, 08:52 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Fuse Block

Okay Back again 1979 V8 elcamino and have changed the ignition switch still no power, I pulled the wire from the starter solenoid and tested it. No power running through it. I pulled the fuse block from under the dash and in the engine the (connector or prong) is broken in half, is that my problem why I am not getting power to my soleniod. And if so where do i get one to replace it. Put a call into Chevy and they said without having the broken part, it was like a needle in a hay stack trying to match it???? Auto parts stores sya they have some that might fit but can be for sure?? Thanks Nic

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2005, 09:39 AM
GM Muscle

Last photo:

Not sure I understand what is broken. Do you have a picture or can you give more detail?

Are you saying that you removed the inside part of the fuse block and the connector on the outside is broke?

You say "no power".

Do you mean you have no power at all or the starter starter will not engage? Do you have accessories and such when you turn on the key?

If its just the engine turning over have you checked the neutral safety switch?

Need more info

Rich
Old 08-08-2005, 10:54 AM
Flamethrower

Last journal entry: More Cooling fan pictures.
Last photo:

Hmmm. Sounds weird. Make sure you have all the power wires properly connected and not shorted out against anything. I wound up re-routing the power wires from the stater (large lug) and putting them at the battery to keep them away from my headers. I moved the switched wire (puple and small lug) that actually activates the solenoid around the front right next to my battery cable.

It seems to me that one or more wires are not connected to where they should be. Take a volt/ohm meter and check to see if you have continuity to ground. Hopefully you don't have continuity to ground so you don't have short. If you do have a short then you have to chase wires. No fun in any vehicle. Get ahold of the factory wiring diagrams and see where they go and make sure they get there.

One other idea, are your wires all pushed ino the connector at the starter switch?

Also check your neutral safety switch.
Old 08-08-2005, 11:55 AM

1979 El Camino

My pink wire that hooks to my Starter Soleniod post , it runs up into my fuse block, that metal prong or connector that goes into the fuse block is broken in half. And I don't know what size it use to be to replace it.
But would that cause my ignition switch not to work? My Engine will turn over from the starter directly to the battery. But not when i hook the soleniod to my pink wire that hooks into my fuse block. Hope that helps.
Nic
Old 08-08-2005, 12:30 PM
GM Muscle

Last photo:

So you are saying everything works but the truck wont start??

I am assuming you are talking about the firewall body connector on the back of the fuse block?

One way to check is jump your battery plus to the pin in the loom once its unattached. See if it turns over. If so, that half of the wiring is OK. Then take a volt meter and connect to the mating pin on the firewall. Turn the key over to the run position and see if you have juice at the connector. If you do, then more than likely its the connection.

If you cant find a replacement you can always cut the wire and run it though the firewall and reconnect it. If you are doing a restoration you probably dont want to do this (as its not original) and keep in mind you wil lose the ability to just unplug the loom with ease like you can now. Make sure you do not bypass anything but firewall connector. That circuit includes a neutral safety switch and you want to keep that. Once again, make sure you check this safety switch as this could be your problem.

I have never seen on of these pins just break. I am still not 100% sure what you are referring too. That said make sure its clean and does not look overheated. You could have a pinched wire somewhere causing the problem.

Rich
Old 08-08-2005, 01:45 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Rebuild an alternator Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

Wire

Doc here,

You mean the pink wire a few inches to a few feet from the starter Solenoid is broken? has one big wire in, 3 smaller wires out?

If so that's your fuse link...Replace it..If the whole car is dead, (no lights, radio, starter etc) Than that link is open. It did it's job...blew under a massive short.

If it's just a Pink wire between the ignition and the fuse box...Disconnect the battery, then Strip both ends slide a proper shrink tube over it, mechanically connect it well, and solder, clean off flux and shrink tube it, reconnect the battery and try it again.

Should cure the problem...you could also use a butt splice, but I don't advise it where you can solder..sooner or later, they fall apart..

Doc
Old 08-08-2005, 05:14 PM

Neutral safety switch

So how do i change out my neutral saftey switch?
Old 08-08-2005, 05:35 PM
GM Muscle

Last photo:

DONT change it out. Check it.

When it stops working again then check it.

I am guessing this is a column shift? One thing you can do is while trying to start the engine wiggle the shifter and see if it starts, Or try it in neutral.

If you have an ohm meter you can check continuity across the switch with it in Park or Neutral. There should be very little resistance. On a digital meter 0 to a couple ohms. You can also TEST the switch by jumping out the plug. BEWARE..... BEWARE. If you start the car in gear it could lunge forward and.. well you get the picture.

The switch is probably mounted towards the base of the steering column by your feet. More than likely is has two switches/sections in one. Two are for the backup lights and two are for the neutral safety. The switch is kinda C shaped.

YOU are in the best position to diagnose this when it stops. Its a matter of moving your test light/meter from a spot with voltage along the circuit until it goes away.

Rich
Old 08-09-2005, 01:21 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Rebuild an alternator Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

Mommy !! MAKE IT STOP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Doc here,

STOP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!

Yur Chasin' your blooming ***...

Another Sure cure also is jack up the engine and run a new El Camino under it... If your rich enough, and so inclined...CUZ that's Exactly where your headed....

TROUBLESHOOTING is the name of the game here...

So far you have answered zero questions in this thread and superseded that each time instead with a new part that someone guessed at, but didn't fix the problem.

1) Does The WHOLE car have power? Lights, radio, Acc???

2) What was the Voltage Reading at the Tan wire on the Starter solenoid with the KEY in "Start mode"??

3)What was the Ohmic value of that tan wire from the "S" Terminal to the Ignition switch (power removed) on an R x 1 Scale...?????

4)What is the condition of the GROUNDING system?? Is The starter actually the Main ground point as it should be??????

5) Are The Tan and white wires reversed on the solenoid? Tan on "I" and white on "S" ?? it won't start that way either...

6)Have You Checked ALL the fuse links at the starter Solenoid????

If you think the NS is defective...just jumper around it for testing...but remember..it will start in ANY gear...

Answer those Questions..and you'll find your problem, or a branch of it...

The other way..

WELL...I have a 6 Channel Chromatic Spectrum Analyzer with Digital capture, and channel overlay....that won't help the problem..but will make you look real pro and KEWL sitting on the hood while your working on it..for what I paid for it...$49,750.00......I even pay ship...

This is HOW and WHY electrical is feared by those who have never approached it...It's only logical deduction based on physical clues. If you can read and follow a straight line...you can troubleshoot ANYTHING electrical with a schematic.

Doc

Last edited by docvette; 08-09-2005 at 01:24 AM. Reason: Spell error

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.