Fuse Block Change:Glass fuses to Blade 65Ranchero - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-24-2011, 02:38 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Fuse Block Change:Glass fuses to Blade 65Ranchero

Want to update fuse block on 65 Ford Falcon Ranchero from: glass fuses to blade, any help or direction would be most welcome

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2011, 05:45 PM

I don't think there is an easy way to make that conversion. Most vehicles did start using blade fuses until the late 70's, and I don't think there is a late 70's Ford that would have a fuse block similar to the 65 Ranchero. If you are very patient you could probably wire the car up to a generic blade fuse block from Painless wiring.

Bruce
Old 08-24-2011, 06:56 PM
kc0kfg

Last photo:

I have an idea but I have to ask why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldman1934
Want to update fuse block on 65 Ford Falcon Ranchero from: glass fuses to blade, any help or direction would be most welcome
I suppose you could make some adapters using .22 shell casings (used) and silver solder some terminals that would accept the blade type fuses.

You could even scrounge the terminals from a junk yard fuse box.

But I have to ask whats wrong with the glass ones? I know they can be hard to find late on a Sunday night, but if you stock up on them before you need them....
Old 08-24-2011, 07:22 PM

Last photo:

they do make some auto circuit breakers that have round lugs that will fit into the glass fuse box, not cheap tho......
Attached Images

Old 08-25-2011, 10:09 AM

Thank you guys for your response.
I found a generic fuse block at the auto parts store. it has a 4 circuts ,but you can attach an additional 4 circut block, giving you 8 circuts. I think it will be pretty simple to convert.
Oldman1934
Old 08-25-2011, 11:25 AM

Last photo:

Fuse Block

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldman1934
Thank you guys for your response.
I found a generic fuse block at the auto parts store. it has a 4 circuts ,but you can attach an additional 4 circut block, giving you 8 circuts. I think it will be pretty simple to convert.
Oldman1934
The question I have, why the fuse block, What about the wires, they are 45 years also. I would be more worried about them. If you are changing fuse block because fuses are blowing, believe me it's not the fuse block.

You could put a board in there and wires, for around $200. The fuse board has the flashers, the ballast resistor, the Horn relay. All blade type fuses, some are self setting or you can replace all of them to self setting, for more money. If you want to change them over you can also buy one or two at a time. The board is made for your car with your engine and steering column. The sheets of instructions that come with it tell you what you are doing. it also has a diagram of each circuit. it tells you what size wire to use.

The board cost $150.00, you don't see them advertised, as he sells enough with out. all the wires go in on one side you can buy your own wire which is about $70.00 worth and he has labels you can put on the wire if you want. or you can do like other board makers do and pay $200. plus just for the wire because it has the circuit name on it.

Pm if you would like the name, Oh a lot of the big name builders use this board in the cars they build. He is out in CA. I have done over 200 cars with his board. very easy to use.

Bob
Old 08-25-2011, 11:34 AM
boatbob2

fuses (post hijack)

Hi,i just replaced ALL the blade type fuses in my various cars,trucks and my motor coach,with fuses with a built-in LED,when the fuse blows.the red LED light comes on.easy to find blown fuse.,i bought mine from DEL city.com
Old 08-26-2011, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35terraplane
The question I have, why the fuse block, What about the wires, they are 45 years also. I would be more worried about them. If you are changing fuse block because fuses are blowing, believe me it's not the fuse block.

You could put a board in there and wires, for around $200. The fuse board has the flashers, the ballast resistor, the Horn relay. All blade type fuses, some are self setting or you can replace all of them to self setting, for more money. If you want to change them over you can also buy one or two at a time. The board is made for your car with your engine and steering column. The sheets of instructions that come with it tell you what you are doing. it also has a diagram of each circuit. it tells you what size wire to use.

The board cost $150.00, you don't see them advertised, as he sells enough with out. all the wires go in on one side you can buy your own wire which is about $70.00 worth and he has labels you can put on the wire if you want. or you can do like other board makers do and pay $200. plus just for the wire because it has the circuit name on it.

Pm if you would like the name, Oh a lot of the big name builders use this board in the cars they build. He is out in CA. I have done over 200 cars with his board. very easy to use.

Bob

Thank You Bob;
The Wiring is fine very pliable and no damage. It was my desire to provide an update. and have found the best way. I did purchase a wiring kit, but it far exceeds the needs I have. There are wires serving the tail lights ,which I will be replacing.
Thanks again,
Richard
Old 08-26-2011, 12:25 PM
Car? Truck? Who Cares

Last journal entry: First week of December
Last photo:

This is a funny fusebox as well.
maybe 6 fuses and 5 different physically sized fuses---weird.
Just the bare minimum in these things.

But---I just have a blast driving mine.
Handed down from my uncle who bought it new.
High performance 289 and 4-spd car-----yeeeee haaaaw

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.