Fuses keep burning out - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-30-2007, 07:25 PM

Last journal entry: epoxy paint
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Fuses keep burning out

Hello all. I have a 1970 el camino with a 350 sbc. The previous owner swapped out the original engine for a later model engine. There is now an MSD Hei distributor. the only way that I know it is a later model engine is because the spark plugs are smaller than they should be for a 1970 chevy.

I am having a problem with two of the fuses in the fuse box. They are burning out. the fuses that are burning out have been the 10 amp Radio/accessory fuse, as well as the 25 amp Ign. fuse.

The battery terminal on the Hei Distributor cap is connected to the ACCESSORY terminal on a Toggle switch. The POWER terminal on the toggle switch is connected, with 14 gauge wire, to the ACC (accessory) terminal on the fuse box.

I have a feeling that as I am trying to set the timing and revving the engine, the fuse is burning out. sometimes its just one of the two fuses, and sometimes its been both.

Where is the best place to connect the battery terminal. I thought that the fuse box (with key turned only) accessory terminal would be the best. I'm assumming that this is wrong. Thanks

-Matthew
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2007, 08:08 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Rebuild an alternator Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

Doc Here,

Find the wire dedicated OFF the Ignition switch for the HEI , or Ignition power..

Back when it ran points, 15 or 20 amp fuses were OK, But not so for HEI anymore...

14 Gauge BTW , is way under size for the draw of a Modern HEI under a full load..That wire should be about 10 gauge..Toggle switch Should be rated at at least 30 amps contact rating also or it's contacts will burn open or weld shut..or just melt altogether..this is a good option for a relay.

Doc
Old 08-31-2007, 12:57 AM

Last journal entry: epoxy paint
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Actually Doc, now that you mention it, I do have a relay that goes to my Batt. terminal on the distributor and the other end goes to the switch. I got the relay points from a prior post that you had recommended to somebody else.

I dont understand what you mean when you say Find the wire dedicated OFF the Ignition switch for the HEI , or Ignition power.
Do I have to take off the seering column to get to the ignition switch (im finding this very difficult, i cant find the right puller at any parts store or in my toolbox)
Old 08-31-2007, 04:23 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Rebuild an alternator Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1970Chevy
Actually Doc, now that you mention it, I do have a relay that goes to my Batt. terminal on the distributor and the other end goes to the switch. I got the relay points from a prior post that you had recommended to somebody else.

I dont understand what you mean when you say Find the wire dedicated OFF the Ignition switch for the HEI , or Ignition power.
Do I have to take off the seering column to get to the ignition switch (im finding this very difficult, i cant find the right puller at any parts store or in my toolbox)

Doc here,

You should be able to locate that wire at the bottom of the steering column PLUG....

It will be big, (about 10 gauge), and PINK or RED or ORANGE in color..It will go on and off with the key ONLY..This is the wire you want for your coil.

On the other...you m0ost likely have an aftermarket device on the line connected wrong...or (now) Defective, disconnect devices until the fuse holds on that branch circuit...that is the offender.

Doc

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.