Futura for my ol man - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2008, 06:32 PM
Body man

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Futura for my ol man

Well a few of yall know me already and what Ive been doin. Ive been workin with my neighbor in his show doin auto body and paint. My ol man used to own a 68 futura and sold it (needed the money) well it came accrost the shop today. The guy was gona junk it so I asked to take it off his hands. I drove it home today. Inline 6 cylinder and the body is descent. Anyways boy did my ol man throw a fit long story short. He loved the car but had to get rid of it (he has no clue it was the one he owned) so I put it behind the house and covered it up. I talk to my neighbor and Ill be restoring it in his garage then gona give it to my ol man. I bet he wouldnt be pissed off if he knew the reason for me gettin it

Gettin pissed off for somethin that will be eventually his lol. Anyways anyone have any ideas to make her look sporty and any advise on what to do with the engine. Id prefer to keep it and maybe do a tune up. ( I dont get paid well so low cost lol)

Thanks.

Later,
Tyler
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2008, 07:22 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

Well, I Rebuilt the 200 I6 engine in my '67, with lots of go fast goodies, including a turbocharger/ intercooler.. I have yet to fire it up w/ the turbo ( broke motor in w/o it hooked up ), and it did cost just a touch over $5k for everything I needed so it's deffinetly not low cost.. personally, I'd clean it up, touch it up w/ paint, add a duraspark II distributor, wire it to a GM 4 pin HEI modual, maby a set of headders for a cool sound..

I could have spent under $100 and just rebuilt the head, it only needed valve seals ( smoked on startup ). instead, I went overkill cause I wanted somthing diffrent.
Old 01-31-2008, 08:12 PM
Body man

Last photo:

It will be a budget car alright. Not like I want to drop somethin big into it so my ol man can punch it and wreck it lol. Ill be looking into touching the motor up. Any advise or preference on paint for the motor?
Old 01-31-2008, 08:34 PM
Glad the Jeep is on the road

Last wiki edit: How to identify a Ford V8
Wiki Edits: 8

Good for you, and good for your dad, he must have raised you right.
Old 02-01-2008, 07:29 AM
Body man

Last photo:

Thanks for the replies. So Im stupid. I got a little problem here. Last night I lifted the hood and it got stuck open so I removed it and both hinges and put them in the shop so I could do a little bit of work on them. Needless to say I removed the air cleaner ontop of the carb and it sat out side. Needless to say I woke up this morning to work and what would you know. EVERYTHING in southern PA is covered in ICE (ugh oh) went out and the engine is iced and the carb is iced in the open position. (you know some had to go down in the carb)

How bad did I mess up? I covered it up now but how bad will it mess up the carb or the engine when it menls and well you get the idea trickles down inside.

Thanks.

Later,
tyler
Old 02-01-2008, 09:09 AM
boatbob2

ice in engine......

Hi,i built a 23 T in Okinawa(1971) i had a cover over it.(no hood)cover blew off,bad rain storm. 289 ford engine,soup bowl air cleaner. when i noticed the cover off,i took off the air cleaner,carb was full of water (so was engine) i pulled the plugs and rotated engine by hand,after water quit running out,i checked the oil,yep,full of water. i drained and refilled oil and filter,then spun engine with the plugs out. my wife had just hung the freshly washed sheets on the clothes line,yep,when i spun the engine with the starter. my wife started screaming, yep,carbon all over the sheets.all i could do was laugh.then i put the plugs back in,checked oil again,and started it up.let it run about 5 minutes,drained oil and changed filter. ran it for over 5 years,never had a problem with it.take necessary action quick,your engine should be ok,,if frozen thaw it quick, if outside,, put into garage. no garage? put tarp over fenders and engine,over front of engine too,put heater,(propane,gas or whatever) under tarp,let heater run till engine is thawed out. then do all thats necessary.pull plugs,turn over by hand oil and filter change,then run until engine is warm. check oil again,if oil is grey,take filter off and drain filter,then reinstall old filter,run engine again until oil is clean,change oil and filter,run again ,,check. let us know how it turns out.

Last edited by boatbob2; 02-01-2008 at 09:18 AM.
Old 02-01-2008, 09:22 AM
Body man

Last photo:

The thing is. It was ice so its froze. Im going to go start on it now. Thanks...
Old 02-01-2008, 09:43 AM
Body man

Last photo:

Ok so this is what happened. I took the hood of the futura because it was stuck in the open position. Anyways I covered up and went to sleep. I woke up to find everything covered in ice. Being concerned and without power I looked outside to find the tarp blown off. I went outside and come to find that the carb was frozen in the open position. (some ice made it inside) I sprayed some gum cutter on the insde of the carb and the outside and it melted it enough that I shut the carb. (had no air cleaner on it)

Its 30 degrees outside and its freezing rain. I want to know just how much damage I did to the carb and the motor or if Ill be alright. Its too cold and wet out for me to work on it. Its going to have to wait till this weekend or even spring.

Am I ok or in trouble with the motor?
Old 02-01-2008, 10:05 AM

Last journal entry: 1930 chevy ratrod pick-up
Last photo:

futura for my ol man

I am from Franklin PA.if it is a 2 door futura and is the same as a 67, I have all the original fomoco glass except windshield. if you want to come an get it I won't have to throw it away.
Old 02-01-2008, 10:15 AM
Body man

Last photo:

Hey Nissan Im in franklin county PA too. Over here in Blue Ridge Summit Id love to take it off your hands!
Old 02-01-2008, 05:39 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

Which carb do you have? the 1940 Holley or the 1100 Autolite? likely, you wil just need to rebuild the carb, which should be done to any carb that sits for a while. both of those carbs are finikey. I upgraded to a 2300 Holley 2bbl, but that will require jetting to get it to run w/ the turbo. I never did have the 1940 Holley I had tuned quite right, I had it running pretty good, but it wasn't great as it would not idle cold.
Old 02-01-2008, 07:07 PM

Last journal entry: 1930 chevy ratrod pick-up
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chappell
Hey Nissan Im in franklin county PA too. Over here in Blue Ridge Summit Id love to take it off your hands!
I am in Franklin PA,about 80 miles north of pittsburgh,call me if you come,814-437-7242
Old 02-01-2008, 08:07 PM
Body man

Last photo:

You said you just had glass right?
Old 02-01-2008, 08:24 PM

Last wiki edit: How to title a hot rod Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

You may beable to brew up a turbo setup cheap, You can get the daytona. caravan turbos for 50 bucks sometimes. Can You get us some pice of the car?

Shane
Old 02-01-2008, 08:35 PM
Body man

Last photo:

Sure can. The weather atm is a little unforgiving. Give me a day or to. Gota chip the ice off

Gota love Pennsylvania lol

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.