Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Future of hotrodding
View Single Post
Old 03-21-2006, 10:34 PM
Get in, sit down, hang on

Last journal entry: Cab Removal
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I *WAS* of the opinion that "hot-rodding" was pretty much a baby-boomer phenomenon ... but there are lots of young guys on this board that are proving me wrong. For their sake, I hope the government stays out of this hobby.

As far as the "global warming" aspect goes ... I don't know. Based on what I perceive to be a percentage of "smoke-belching old cars" on the road at any given time, I don't think they're hurting much.

Most of us are driving "emissions-friendly" newer vehicles as our "daily drivers" and just pull the rods out when we need an adrenaline fix, aren't we?

Besides ... most of us will keep our "old iron" (pride and joy) in a better state of tune now than most were back in the 60's and 70's.

Point ignition is pretty much history, as well, and I believe that was a cause of a lot of unburned HC's.

On a related note, I hate to think of what it will take for the average Joe to be a hot-rodder when the 2006 vehicles become the "hot-rod" of the future.

Cripes ... everything is crammed in like a plumber's (and electrician's) nightmare ... and replacement *assemblies* cost an arm and a leg. For example. there are no "wheel bearings" any more ... you have to fork out $300.00+ for a hub assy.

Parts prices for "creature comfort" items are just bizarre. I looked up a DVD player for an (off-warranty) 2003 Ford Expedition (Eddie Bauer version) today. Although the Exped is a very nice vehicle, buying one of these at nearly $8,000.00 would probably just about double it's value.

Insanity!!!