Hot Rod Forum banner

Future of hotrodding

3K views 30 replies 22 participants last post by  gasser34 
#1 ·
Guys, just try to imagine Hotroding after 20 years.... :D

#4 ·
Yep I feel its a dime light ahead.
All the junk yard scroungers will be extinct.
Hotrodding is almost to the point of a completely mail order hobby now.You never hear anymore some one saying I got one of these outta a Cutlass and welded it to a one of these outta a dodge and voala.No its I called summit then ordered this from Jegs and this from parts supply etc..
Hotrodding will be a doctors and lawyers type of hobbie.
Hell soon enough old cars will be illegal anyways.Ya figure the gov allready wants control of your habits and food consumption.As soon as some lawyer convinces a court room that some 5 yr old had an asthma attack because there was a 40 Ford parked on the same block,it'll be over for us.

#5 ·
78 monte said:
Yep I feel its a dime light ahead.
All the junk yard scroungers will be extinct.
Hotrodding is almost to the point of a completely mail order hobby now.You never hear anymore some one saying I got one of these outta a Cutlass and welded it to a one of these outta a dodge and voala.No its I called summit then ordered this from Jegs and this from parts supply etc..
I agree....this is one thing that really bugs me about Hotrodders these days.

All you seem to hear on all these Hot Rodding shows, in magazines etc, is that word that I hate............."KIT"

Some people think that there has to ge a "KIT" for everything, and it can't be done without a "KIT"

Real Hot Rodders don't need no stinkin' "KIT"..............we make it on our own.......

#7 ·
My predictions: Cars with more than 100,000 miles will be crushed or put into a program, provided they meet emissions, for low income people. Got an old rod, it will have a grandfather clause, non transferrable, all others will be crushed for the sake of the environment. Mass people movers will do the most of the transportation, companies will get extra tax credit for work at home employees. Time frame? 10-15 years. With all the global warmong talk recently, I think there will be panic driven measures that will drastically change our lives, the Americans will be giving up the most for the other countries because they won't agree to change, we will make most of the sacrifices.

#8 ·
I agree with Dinger, here in califfornia anyways, I feel that we will be "regulated" off the road. stricter emisions, saftey laws, lisence fees etc. will force us off the road or into the poor house, then only Jay Leno will have cars...

I also agree with Poncho and 78monte about the "kits" but in my opinion there will always be someone who cant afford the kit and will do the modifications themselves... as time rolls on and the true "classics" become unattainable, the cars of today become the classics! it usually takes about 25-30 years for a car to to becaome "classic" so in 2026, it'll be the 1996-2001's!! Ha my 1996 honda a classic!! I dont think hotrodding will ever disappear. Its just gonna be more expensive (like everything else)

#9 ·
Speaking of global warming... I read that it has warmed 1 degree in the last 100 years. My opinion is, that it is probably a natural phenomena and no one has bothered to measure before. 1 degree in 100 years. Damn, that means it's going to be another 1000 years before it will be like I like it here.

#10 ·
The real gear heads if still motoring around{not in their jazzy scooters} still want the parts if will still be out there somewhere

The Burning Question is if there will still be the fuel to power these things & if its still available who would be able to afford it?

will the ones who still own these have to have a micro brewery for petroleum by product??

I guess we can run moon shine

In the 25 years Ive been driving I've seen gas prices go up 500% so if my guesstimating gas will be extinct or cost $30. $40. a gallon? :eek:

UGH!! In 20 years a Focus & a Sentra will be a classic?!!??

Barf on my shoes!

Also you have to figure that a lot of people will pass on between now & then so there is a supply line of parts & cars for the future.

Hmmm.

Are you pondering what I'm pondering Pinky???

R :thumbup:

Attachments

#12 ·
I have been thinking alot about that question. My livelyhood depends on it. I want alternate fuels. I vote for nuclear power. Then all you have to do is put a 2 ounce plutonium pellet in your "tank" and drive for 10 years. ( ok so I don't have any EXACT numbers, but those can be sorted out later). I don't think that will ever happen though. And I can only imagine what kind of questions the homeland security agency and the CIA will be asking me when I try looking for materials to make my powerrodsmike built atomic powered 27 roadster a reality. (I keep looking in summit for something nuclear related,but I don't seem to be having any luck).

Methane is another alternative fuel that I would seriously consider. Pros: I have alot of that stuff around. Cons: The collection device is rather cumbersome and it is embarrassing to explain to strangers.
later, mikey

#13 ·
I was talkin to one of my friends yesterday, with all of the stuff you do in science class why cant they invent a synthetic gasoline? It would be so awsome, it would be the muscle car wars all over again (wish I was there to see it the first time). But anyway I think there will always be hotrodders who love the same cars we do, people like me im 15 and think they are the greatest cars ever invented. So if there is the younger generation that loves these cars then the tradition will stay alive, as long as we/they dont switch sides to the ricers.

#14 ·
Old school Chevy you make a really good point there
we have synthetic everything but gas.......... well, as a wise man used to say & I Quote "Dang'd opecr's"!

The Oil Companies won't let go of the industry until they have something to replace their cash cow

AGAIN IMO

#15 ·
As for global warming...100 years is too small a number to even note on the world time line.

We haven't even been on the planet more than a line width. a short one at that. Just think if it hadn't been for a fluke meteor we'd have a Tyranasarus for president and we'd probably be "grown" for food. :eek:

#16 ·
A synthetic substance simmilar to gas could be produced and purchased.

If your willing to pay $50.00 a gallon a least....doesn't seem like such a good idea. In reality the future of transportation is in hydrogen fuel cells. Initially they will use a reformer to split hydrogen out of fossil fuels such as methane until a cheap effiecient method of creating and storing pure hydrogen is invented. Although a gassoline engine is about 20% efficient in harnessing the energy in gassoline a hydrogen cell using a reformer and methane is around 30% efficient.

#20 ·
steve t said:
can you imagine a chopped street rod with a electric motor tubbed out or going to drags with no sound :pain: :(
Back in 94 when I worked at the fiberglass shop, we built a 29 model A roadster body that was going to be used with a electric vehicle. The Rod Factory was building the chassis and the car was going to be built by a company called Wild EVs. They had a Fox bodied mustang with their electric powered super controller thingy that was turning 12's or 13's (I could be wrong about the ET's but not by alot), at the drags already. The guy from wild EVs showed me a picture of the mustang doing a wheelstand. Almost made me want to start buying batteries. I looked around a few times for those cars now that we have the 'net, but I couldn't find anything about either car. Then in the late 90's a guy from santa cruz was working with us to build a startup run of 6 '27 ford roadsters with electric power. The motor was in the trunk, batteries and controller in the front. I think his capital ran away, he was kind of freaky. Later, mikey

#21 ·
I *WAS* of the opinion that "hot-rodding" was pretty much a baby-boomer phenomenon ... but there are lots of young guys on this board that are proving me wrong. For their sake, I hope the government stays out of this hobby.

As far as the "global warming" aspect goes ... I don't know. Based on what I perceive to be a percentage of "smoke-belching old cars" on the road at any given time, I don't think they're hurting much.

Most of us are driving "emissions-friendly" newer vehicles as our "daily drivers" and just pull the rods out when we need an adrenaline fix, aren't we?

Besides ... most of us will keep our "old iron" (pride and joy) in a better state of tune now than most were back in the 60's and 70's.

Point ignition is pretty much history, as well, and I believe that was a cause of a lot of unburned HC's.

On a related note, I hate to think of what it will take for the average Joe to be a hot-rodder when the 2006 vehicles become the "hot-rod" of the future.

Cripes ... everything is crammed in like a plumber's (and electrician's) nightmare ... and replacement *assemblies* cost an arm and a leg. For example. there are no "wheel bearings" any more ... you have to fork out $300.00+ for a hub assy.

Parts prices for "creature comfort" items are just bizarre. I looked up a DVD player for an (off-warranty) 2003 Ford Expedition (Eddie Bauer version) today. Although the Exped is a very nice vehicle, buying one of these at nearly $8,000.00 :eek: would probably just about double it's value.

Insanity!!!

#22 ·
Global warming caused by man? Bah Humbug. Remember the lessons we all learned when we were youngsters in school about the ice age and the warming that caused the glaciers to melt and slide across the land masses and form the great lakes. There were no fossil fuel burning vehicles to blame for the temperature change. I wonder, could it have been caused by the hand of God. He wanted to make the Earth more hospitable for better living conditions. He used the glaciers to cause lakes to be formed, a nice place for fishing, boating and camping. Naw, that can't be it, sooo it has to be .....I wonder if Fred and Barney had to answer to the tree huggers society each time they took their Rockmobile out for a Sunday drive. It was they, who are responsible for blowing holes in the ozone. Their horses belched way too much raw fuel into the atmosphere and that is why we are suffering today from fallout when the winds blow and the rains fall.

Al

#24 ·
My truck get s 6 maybe 7 MPG & I can't & wont do mass transit & cant afford a new vehicle but the oil Arabs can.

wanna see?!?!????

these were sent to me by a good Friend.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.