Hot Rod Forum banner

FWD power brake technique?

4K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  bigjak 
#1 ·
Hey, Ok... this may sound like a really dumb question and im sure if I was reading this i think it would sound like a really dumb question but here it goes. Are there any ways on being able to do some sort of power brake in a fwd car. I don't have a hand brake but i was thinking maybe pressing on the parking brake and just nailing the gas. I really don't know why i want to know but im just curious i guess.
Thanks

#2 ·
Aaaa... not on a normal car there isnt. I know there are kits around to cut off the rear brakes on RWD cars so you can do burnouts and what not.

But for front wheel cars, the hand brake still controls the rear brakes and the brake pedal makes the front brakes contact and grip way before the rear.

#3 ·
The rear brakes come on first, thats what keeps you straight.

Troy

69 ss rs full custom camaro 98 ISCA grandchampion
69 ss rs bb camaro wifes driver
66 Elcamino 350/all dz parts,ac,windows,loaded,my driver
69 ss chevelle bb conv.fresh frame off
26 T sedan street rod

#4 ·
Used to valet park cars part time on the weekends for extra money when I was younger and we used to power brake FWD cars using the E. Brake. Problem is just like power braking a RWD car you still need an engine with some balls. Some are tricky. I power braked a FWD Lincoln once that was cool but because the E. Brake pedal is released automatically when the car is put in gear so I had to hold down the E. Brake pedal with my left foot and stand on the go pedal with my right foot. She smoked the piss out of the front tires while dragging the rear tires across the parking lot. It is obviously easier with a hand E. Brake cause you can release the brake by simply releasing the lever. With an E. Brake pedal you have to work the pedal with your foot and the lever by hand to release the E. Brake.

#5 · (Edited)
A bungee cord hooked to the driver side seat frame, when stretched to the e-brake release handle will allow you to simply release them when you let your foot off the e-brake pedal.

Now, when it comes to the disc brake rear e-brake set-ups they instruct you to pump them to set on some (if not all) systems, work them until they are properly adjusted, and find a way to TEMPORARILY disable the locking mechanism that keeps it set.

MOST IMPORTANTLY, MAKE SURE TO LEAVE THE EMERGENCY BRAKES FULLY FUNCTIONAL FOR WHEN YOU NEED THEM OR BEFORE SOMEONE ELSE DRIVES THE CAR

Especially if it's someone elses car you are borrowing to beat on.
My dad was one P-O'ed man when I played with any of his vehicles before getting my own.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.