Fyi To All!!!! - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2010, 09:16 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Fyi To All!!!!

FYI, I have a 350 sbc that was smoking at highway speeds and rpms at and above 2500. It was burning about 2 qts every 100 miles or so during highway travel. and every week or so during regular city driving. also, every few days i would notice the coolant getting low, but nothing was leaking onto the ground or other wise outside the engine. it was suggested that the rings were bad, cam lobes were shot, bent push rods causing the valves to stick, and blown head gasket, and leaking valve seals. since there was no oil in the coolant or vice versa, i put the head gasket on the back burner, and since i only had about 6k miles on a brand new crate motor, i also looked past the rings (even though i knew it could still be a possibilty, i had a feeling it was sothing simple) also, it was not smoking at start up or idle so i looked past valve seals as well. i decide to start small, I thought about what i had done to the engine before the problem occured. It turns out, that after bolting on a new intake manifold a few months back, i missed a few very small piece of the old gasket along the left bank, it was enough to keep the gasket from sealing on the #7 #5 and #3 intake port, and caused it to suck oil/coolant in under the gasket. this also caused the engine to run too hot causing a white ash like build as well on the plugs that were not burning oil. even the plugs on the right bank, that were not burning oil or coolant had build up caused by the hot teperatures, even though it wasnt overheating. the plugs that were burning oil had a very crusty black build up, and caused a condition know as bridge gap, which of course leads to a severe mis-fire and lack of power, even if a mis-fire isnt noticed. after cleaning up the face of the intake ports, and carfully reaplying the gaskets, and changing the fouled plugs, cleaning the ash build up plugs and regapping them, the problem was solved. I am posting this to inform those having similar problems, to re-evaluate their work, as this was a very simple yet serious overlook on an otherwise easy job. be sure the check all of your plugs and recognise the symptoms associated with the type of build up/color of your plugs. this link can also be very helpful when determining spark plug conditions.

color.http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/engine/plugs.html

let me know if it was helpful.

Chris

Chris

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2010, 07:36 AM
How’s that hopey-changey thing

Last wiki edit: Determining top dead center
Last journal entry: Quicky frame dolly
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Well said and a very good point, a good mechanic will always go back to the last area he worked, so many just throw parts at a problem until they get a fix ... There are many that just shoot from the hip, the source of remedies strictly comes from memory. Do not have a clue of the operation or understand the function of the system being worked on, and therefor do not understand the method to troubleshooting ...

If you know how to troubleshot you do not have to remember all the possibilities or combinations of individual parts that may or may not fix the problem ..

The ability to troubleshoot is an art unto itself, and I dare say many lack that ability ..
Old 01-23-2010, 08:04 AM
Analog man in a digital world.

Last journal entry: HEI comparison.
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Old 01-23-2010, 10:00 AM
Evil Wicked Mean And Nasty

Last wiki edit: Pilot bearing and bushings
Last journal entry: roof repair
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 37

Cole

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.