Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Body - Exterior (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/body-exterior/)
-   -   FYI epoxy primer in a spray can from NAPA (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/fyi-epoxy-primer-spray-can-napa-119930.html)

bullheimer 07-11-2007 10:49 AM

FYI epoxy primer in a spray can from NAPA
 
might be some other places to get it but there is now an epoxy primer in a spray can. (will adhere to galvanized metal too).

price: $22 per can!!! ouch. bought a gallon of epoxy primer and qt of cat for $80! i am going to paint my truck again. this time with something non-porous. going for the Ragged (also called Dazzle) Camoflauge look till the war is over. (currently is olive drab, it's in my photo album). bye bye

302 Z28 07-11-2007 11:11 AM

How many times must I say it? :rolleyes: Epoxy in a rattle can is marketing hype. There is no way you can have a true epoxy paint/primer in a rattle can. Epoxy is a mix of two chemicals that causes the chemicals to catalyze and harden. This is not possible to do in a rattle can.

Vince

oldred 07-11-2007 11:40 AM

Actually it is, there is at least one outfit (can't for the life of me think of the name right now but I am sure someone will) that makes a 2k rattle can paint and primer. The activator is contained in a separate cell inside the can and must be released before use then it must be used up completely since it will have a very short shelf life once activated. I don't know how well this stuff works but it is fairly expensive and I am not sure it would be worth the hassle.

MARTINSR 07-11-2007 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldred
Actually it is, there is at least one outfit (can't for the life of me think of the name right now but I am sure someone will) that makes a 2k rattle can paint and primer. The activator is contained in a separate cell inside the can and must be released before use then it must be used up completely since it will have a very short shelf life once activated. I don't know how well this stuff works but it is fairly expensive and I am not sure it would be worth the hassle.

I have a can each of an ISO free "urethane type" primer like PPG NCP, a can of REAL epoxy primer and a can of REAL urethane clear in a aerosol cans at home from Rubberseal "Medallion". I haven't tried them yet but there they are in the flesh in my garage.

Brian

Hot Rod Mike 07-18-2007 05:28 AM

epoxy spray rattle can
 
Hey Bullheimer,

You wouldn't happen to have the part no. of the NAPA rattle can ?

Thanks,
Mike

Jon 07-18-2007 10:33 AM

I would be very interested in any more information on this. I'm writing a wiki article on Rust, with information culled from analyzing over 400 forum threads on rust. The Epoxy primer section contains the following information, which I've seen repeated on the board many times:
Quote:

Epoxy primer is a two-part mix, with a hardener that has to be added before you spray it. Thus, it's not available in a spray (rattle) can.

MARTINSR 07-18-2007 11:42 AM

Jon, here is the link to the REAL 2K urethane clear in an aerosol. But even after calling Rubber Seal I couldn't get a link to the epoxy. If you go to this site and call them you can confirm it DOES exist. I have a can in my garage, but am yet to try it out.

Brian

http://www.rubber-seal.com/prodview.asp?prodID=1930

Jon 07-18-2007 12:04 PM

Thanks MARTINSR. Just got off the phone with Jeff at Rubber Seal.

It looks like they don't yet have a link up on their site with the 2-part rattle can epoxy primer details. Jeff confirmed that the product does indeed exist. He said to shoot him an email, and he'll get back to me with product details or literature. I just sent the email, so now we're awaiting a reply, and we'll take it from there.

hemi43 07-18-2007 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bullheimer
might be some other places to get it but there is now an epoxy primer in a spray can. (will adhere to galvanized metal too).

price: $22 per can!!! ouch. bought a gallon of epoxy primer and qt of cat for $80! i am going to paint my truck again. this time with something non-porous. going for the Ragged (also called Dazzle) Camoflauge look till the war is over. (currently is olive drab, it's in my photo album). bye bye


I would use the best epoxy money can buy as well as the most durable paint, because if you wait till your war is over before a re-paint, your truck will be rotted out! Dan

302 Z28 07-18-2007 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hemi43
I would use the best epoxy money can buy as well as the most durable paint, Dan

Sometimes cost does not get you the best epoxy...PPG DPLF comes to mind.

Vince

adtkart 07-18-2007 05:53 PM

I just got an order of SPI black epoxy and activator. The total cost for 2 gallons mixed was about $142. Which is less than the cost of 7 cans of that stuff. Not sure how much actual paint is in those cans, but can be sure that 7 cans is no where near 2 gallons.

For someone that has no compressor and only a small area to do, it may be a viable option. Other than that, I can't imagine going that route.

Aaron

Jon 07-20-2007 05:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The 2-part aerosol mixing method is interesting, although likely not the "best" solution for most situations.

Rubber Seal got back to me. It looks like they don't yet have the info up on the web, but they sent me a data sheet. Attached is a pdf of their 2K Jet Dry Epoxy Primer/Sealer.

I've also started a simple wiki entry: Epoxy primer. Feel free to add information, edit for clarity, or correct any errors I may have made.

crashtech 07-20-2007 05:52 PM

That's kinda neat. Might prove pretty handy for the DIY guy. The 96 hour "pot life" is not bad either, though it does take away some of the convenience factor.

If you are needing to use spray can primer, I believe this would be the one to try!

302 Z28 07-20-2007 09:09 PM

Ah, so that is how it works.

Vince

adtkart 07-21-2007 07:17 AM

The time factor may be a problem for many. I know a lot of people that only make it to the garage on weekends. They would have to use it all on one weekend, or throw it out the next time they went out there. It would work good for someone that simply has a small spot they are trying to fix, and they are not set up for spraying with a gun.

Aaron


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:11 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.